homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » The iPhone trademark issue

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The iPhone trademark issue
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2007 13:41      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As many of you know, Cisco owns the trademark for '"iPhone" in the U.S. (acquired via their Linksys division), while Apple owns that mark virtually everywhere else. When Cisco released their VoIP product called iPhone on Dec. 18th, all eyes turned to Apple: would they call their impending phone by another name, challenge Cisco ("So sue me!"), or what? Well, it may be more anti-climactic: Cisco and Apple have been in talks about the name for some time and apparently an agreement is forthcoming.

"Given Apple's numerous requests for permission to use Cisco's iPhone trademark over the past several years and our extensive discussions with them recently, it is our belief that with their announcement today Apple intends to agree to the final documents and public statement that were distributed to them last night and addressed a few remaining items," Cisco said in a statement obtained by CNN. "We expect to receive a signed agreement today."

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2007 13:45      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"We expect to receive a signed CHECK today."

There... fixed the typo.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2007 14:20      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:

There... fixed the typo.

"We expect to receive a signed CHEQUE today."

There.. fixed the spelling mistake [Smile]

[edit] I just realised, you might have been spelling in American, so feel free to ignore my 'correction' and accept my appologies accordingly [Smile]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2007 14:44      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zwilnik:
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:

There... fixed the typo.

"We expect to receive a signed CHEQUE today."

There.. fixed the spelling mistake [Smile]

[edit] I just realised, you might have been spelling in American, so feel free to ignore my 'correction' and accept my appologies accordingly [Smile]

We'll compromise...

"We expect to receive an enormous sum of money today. We'll be laughing with joy as we roll around naked on top of it all later this evening."

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2007 15:36      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds good to me [Smile]

I wonder if part of the deal was that Cisco staff get the first batch of iPhones? [Smile]

--------------------

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2007 18:18      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Almost certainly

"and use of the swivel chair in future negotiations, and the wife twice a week to be made available immediatley and daughters to be phased in by 2016... (apologies to the "Not the 9 O'Clock News" for the blagging! )

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 09, 2007 20:13      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
Almost certainly

"and use of the swivel chair in future negotiations, and the wife twice a week to be made available immediatley and daughters to be phased in by 2016... (apologies to the "Not the 9 O'Clock News" for the blagging! )

Then again, this is Steve Jobs doing the negotiation.. Cisco probably did the deal for a bag of beans and a chance to appear on stage at the next keynote [Smile]

--------------------

Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2007 17:27      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tech Angel:
Well, it may be more anti-climactic: Cisco and Apple have been in talks about the name for some time and apparently an agreement is forthcoming.

On the other hand, maybe we actually will get to see some fireworks. (See Cisco announcement here.) I think the ZDNet authors pegged this right: it exemplifies Apple's arrogance.

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 08:08      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tech Angel____________________Me thinks maybe the check came back "NSF"

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 10:13      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lovely comment from Gruber on the deal. (Link may not work in a few days, can't work out how to permanently link to single blog post)
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 18:49      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
Lovely comment from Gruber on the deal. (Link may not work in a few days, can't work out how to permanently link to single blog post)

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2007/january#thu-11-cisco_general

It's the little star thing to the right of the subject. Typically, it's the title of the post, but in this case, they had to do it in a silly fashion.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 11, 2007 19:28      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zwilnik:
Sounds good to me [Smile]

I wonder if part of the deal was that Cisco staff get the first batch of iPhones? [Smile]

If so, I havent heard anything (I work at Cisco now)

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture