homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums


Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » A Public Apology

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Public Apology
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2007 07:35      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To all on the GC Forums and to Colonel Panic especially:

I wish to apologize for my recent bad behavior in posting remarks that were intended to ridicule another human being. I allowed my emotions to cloud better judgement and tried to persuade others to disrespect another for my own self-justification. This was prideful and I am heartily sorry for having yielded to such inclinations.

By way of further explanation, my religious convictions teach me to "turn the other cheek", "regard others more highly than myself", and "treat others as I would be treated" - I have recently failed in all three of these tenets in this public forum. This is my attempt at reparation. Kindly accept this apology as heartfelt.

I sincerely ask forgiveness from any and all who were offended by my posts towards Colonel Panic and will make every effort to refrain from such behavior in the future.

[blush]

gg

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2007 08:44      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2007 12:03      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aplogy accepted, and the courage to make it recognizedhonored.

Shall we get on with things in a fun and geek-like manner.

I am sorry too, for the over-heated exchanges.

Sincerely,

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2007 12:12      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:

Shall we get on with things in a fun and geek-like manner?

'Tis a fine idea by my reckoning, Colonel and the best way to get beyond a past that I'm happy to leave behind.
[thumbsup]

gg

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
5
Icon 14 posted January 07, 2007 12:43      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Magnificent Valour! [Applause] [Happytears]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2007 12:47      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GG, CP, Steen, & Snaggy_____________________I too feel that I have let this board down, This is not a me too reply but Lets be more polite especially with all of the noobs around.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.


Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted January 07, 2007 20:40      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does this extend to any persons other than CP?
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2007 20:44      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
haha! you can't be trying to say that GG wronged you in some way?!
Posts: 619 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2007 03:35      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am glad that GG has done this, as the thread which I guess caused this (ahem) road to Damascus moment (please forgive the blasphemy GG!) was beginning to look like a stupid playground argument, and one about nothing much at all really. I do hope however we don't get too sweet and lovely bubbly, and shrink back from honest disagreement. I really don't mind that arguments can occasionally get heated, as only people who don't care never get angry, though of course ideally threads should generate at least marginally more light than heat. The important thing is to try not to bear a grudge, and let it go afterwards. It's only the internet. Personal spats that drift on from one thread to the next are boring, and off-putting because they make the forums too inward looking. I am no model citizen either, but will try harder. After all, even if some of the political beliefs expressed here are repellent to me, I know that those here holding them are at the very worst worst misguided, and not malicious. And heaven knows, on very rare occasions indeed, once in a blue moon, even I might be wrong! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2007 07:32      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boo:
Does this extend to any persons other than CP?

boo: I tried my best to make my intentions clear in the original post. I suppose the answer to your question is subject to your interpretation of:
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
To "all" on the GC Forums and to Colonel Panic especially:

I wish to apologize for my recent bad behavior in posting remarks that were intended to ridicule another human being. I allowed my emotions to cloud better judgement and tried to persuade others to disrespect another for my own self-justification. This was prideful and I am heartily sorry for having yielded to such inclinations.

By way of further explanation, my religious convictions teach me to "turn the other cheek", "regard others more highly than myself", and "treat others as I would be treated" - I have recently failed in all three of these tenets in this public forum. This is my attempt at reparation. Kindly accept this apology as heartfelt.

I sincerely ask forgiveness from "any and all who were offended" by my posts towards Colonel Panic and will make every effort to refrain from such behavior in the future.

[blush]

gg

If you feel I owe other apologies, please explain.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2007 13:27      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must say, I rather like this new spirit of rapprochement.

Whilst I do not necessarily agree will all the ideas that might be associated with GG's religious convictions, this gesture is certainly in the spirit of the highest ideals that underlie those convictions.

You gotta respect that.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2007 15:42      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must realize that, while mostly living up to the letter of my personal "laws", I've failed in keeping with their spirit. I also wish to apologize to CP for the insults I've made, directly or by implication.

My hat's off to garlicguy for leading the way on this. [thumbsup]

For the future:
Political discussions aren't very much fun when heated exchanges become personal, and they definitely weren't any fun here for a while. CP, I remember you mentioning that you have been imitating the style of Ann Coulter, Bill O'Reilly, and Rush Limbaugh. May I respectfully request that it be dropped in the future?

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2007 18:53      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
CP, I remember you mentioning that you have been imitating the style of Ann Coulter, Bill O'Reilly, and Rush Limbaugh. May I respectfully request that it be dropped in the future?

Absolutely,

It is unfortunate, that style has an effect on changing people's minds. However, the long-term effects on all concerned are costly.

I've noticed a lot of that stuff is not as popular in the USA as it once was , nor as effective. I think we can learn, and live better for that.

Again, thanks to GG for extending the olive branch, you Sxepto for joining in, Steen, too.

Now let's all go back to arguing about important stuff, like how disappointed we will be with Steve Jobs' new product introductions at Macworld.

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

And let's don't let this go so far out of hand that the "Cumbaya" and "Micheal Rowed His Boat Ashore" stuff breaks out.

Otherwise Mo_man and I are going to a corner of the bar with a bottle of Booker's and you all will be painfully learning every one of the 10 stages of drunkenness as listed in Dan Jenkins' Baja Oklahoma.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 03:53      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
quote:
Originally posted by boo:
Does this extend to any persons other than CP?

boo: I tried my best to make my intentions clear in the original post. I suppose the answer to your question is subject to your interpretation of:
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
To "all" on the GC Forums and to Colonel Panic especially:

I wish to apologize for my recent bad behavior in posting remarks that were intended to ridicule another human being. I allowed my emotions to cloud better judgement and tried to persuade others to disrespect another for my own self-justification. This was prideful and I am heartily sorry for having yielded to such inclinations.

By way of further explanation, my religious convictions teach me to "turn the other cheek", "regard others more highly than myself", and "treat others as I would be treated" - I have recently failed in all three of these tenets in this public forum. This is my attempt at reparation. Kindly accept this apology as heartfelt.

I sincerely ask forgiveness from "any and all who were offended" by my posts towards Colonel Panic and will make every effort to refrain from such behavior in the future.

[blush]

gg

If you feel I owe other apologies, please explain.
To clarify: [Roll Eyes]

To "all" as you so handily highlighted, suggests an announcment, not an apology.

Later, you asked forgiveness (again, you so considerately highlighted the comment) "to any and all," blah blah blah offended by your posts towards Colonel Panic. Colonel Panic is a specific person, nes pa? You were apologizing to everybody about your comments regarding him. That is why I asked if your apologies for bad behavior were meant to also extend to others you had insulted, ridiculed, etc.

Btw, I haven't read many of your posts, but from those I have, I would not have thought you were Christian.

Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued


Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 04:37            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
boo, give it a rest will ya? Please?
IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 06:03      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is your issue, Boo? Allow me to be one of the first to jump in as an advocator for GG. He has been very kind to me personally and I cannot imagine him harassing anybody without a reason.

If you take offense to his puns, then you may as well leave it is a fact of life here on the fora, and we enjoy it (for the most part).

If you take offense to his criticisms of what people say, then realize that it is almost always in jest, and I for one fully appreciate his sense of humour.

If you take offense to his posts when he gets serious, then realize that GG only says 'mean' things when other posters have gotten out of hand- or at least that's the way it seems to me. He and I are both Roman Catholic; perhaps, compared to what one experiences in the Media as 'right-wingers', the progressivism this faith tends to yield in its followers, while not necessariy being the result of official doctrine, is bewildering to you.

Basically, I want to know what your deal is. GG has asked you if you've offended him in some way, and you've refused to respond- at least in public- while still being, as they say, a douche. If his apology applies to anybody on this board, it's the 'major' players in the political threads, nameley Sxepto, CP, Callipygous, and others; not small fries like you or I.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Posts: 948 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 07:31      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann wrote:
boo, give it a rest will ya? Please?

I'll add my voice to uilleann's... please?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 07:41      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boo:
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
If you feel I owe other apologies, please explain.

To clarify: [Roll Eyes]

To "all" as you so handily highlighted, suggests an announcment, not an apology.

Later, you asked forgiveness (again, you so considerately highlighted the comment) "to any and all," blah blah blah offended by your posts towards Colonel Panic. Colonel Panic is a specific person, nes pa? You were apologizing to everybody about your comments regarding him. That is why I asked if your apologies for bad behavior were meant to also extend to others you had insulted, ridiculed, etc.

Btw, I haven't read many of your posts, but from those I have, I would not have thought you were Christian.

boo: I *think* I see your point, though I don't know why it caused the "rolling eyes"? Attitude? [Big Grin]

Anyhow, others here would like to see this thread go away because the nature of it (some would say sappiness) make it uncomfortable to countenance. With that in mind, if you still have questions after this post, it may be best to make it private. I have no objections either way.

1) Your above explanation of my context is correct, no argument. I "announced" my apology publicly for comments I had made to CP and everyone who may have been offended by that behavior. It was, as the Colonel rightly surmised, a peace offering from me to him. And he graciously accepted. (Thanks CP.)

2) I invited you to explain if there were others to whom I owed an apology. Let me clarify: For whatever wrong I may have done them here. [Big Grin]

3) You seem to be offended by that invitation. If so, I'm sorry - for you, not to you.

4) Since you feel free to doubt my religious faith let me explain. Many who call themselves Christians likely are not. Many who don't call themselves Christians likely are. The trouble is, there are multitudes on both sides of the equation who have no clue as to what they are willing to claim for themselves or judge in others. Splinters vs. logs for instance? [Big Grin]

So respond here or privately or not at all - it matters not to me. If I disrespected your humanity (or others here) in some way causing insult or offense, I'll happily apologize for or retract such offense (or both). I have no need for the baggage of animosity toward others - too much else to do...

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 07:45      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
uilleann wrote:
boo, give it a rest will ya? Please?

I'll add my voice to uilleann's... please?

Thirded.

If I thought it would do any good, I would apologize for anything anyone has ever said to anyone else who has ever participated on this board that could be construed as insulting, degrading, inflammatory, racist, ridiculing, etc., ad nauseum. However, I'm sure that boo still wouldn't find that acceptable.

(And I know that there are a few on this board who would disagree with me, but I still say "boo=flaming troll".)

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 07:52      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Widow:
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
uilleann wrote:
boo, give it a rest will ya? Please?

I'll add my voice to uilleann's... please?

Thirded.

If I thought it would do any good, I would apologize for anything anyone has ever said to anyone else who has ever participated on this board that could be construed as insulting, degrading, inflammatory, racist, ridiculing, etc., ad nauseum. However, I'm sure that boo still wouldn't find that acceptable.

(And I know that there are a few on this board who would disagree with me, but I still say "boo=flaming troll".)

<joke>
I demand that you apologize for apologizing for me. [Mad]
<\joke>

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 08:32      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
<joke>
I demand that you apologize for apologizing for me. [Mad]
<\joke>

I apologize for apologizing the apology to you. [Confused]

Or maybe I should just say, "oh, it didn't apply to you Ash." [Big Grin]

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 08:40      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is time to punt this thread into the archives.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 09:22      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boo:
To "all" as you so handily highlighted, suggests an announcment, not an apology.

Later, you asked forgiveness (again, you so considerately highlighted the comment) "to any and all," blah blah blah offended by your posts towards Colonel Panic. Colonel Panic is a specific person, nes pa? You were apologizing to everybody about your comments regarding him. That is why I asked if your apologies for bad behavior were meant to also extend to others you had insulted, ridiculed, etc.

Btw, I haven't read many of your posts, but from those I have, I would not have thought you were Christian.

You know, requests for apologies from a person who has yet to make amends for her own bad behavior come across as a tad hypocritical and self-centered.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted January 12, 2007 19:02      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boo:
Btw, I haven't read many of your posts, but from those I have, I would not have thought you were Christian.

This is because gg does not talk about his faith unless it's directly relevant to what is being discussed, but then as they say, religion is like a swimming pool, all the noise is at the shallow end.

I believe I remember you saying boo that you are agnostic, but I notice that you seem to know the Bible very well, often giving chapter and verse references. Did you have a very religious upbringing, or like me go to a religious school?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2007 18:49      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Applause] to gg and CP!

To be honest, the hostility was getting annoying, so I also accept your apology gg. You are an example to us all.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged


All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture

Powered by Infopop Corporation
UBB.classicTM 6.4.0



homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam