homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Car Woes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Car Woes
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2007 11:36      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have two gaskets blown in my car. its leaking oil like its taking a GD piss. they're recommending I "drop a new motor in it" which will cost around $1500, my car isn't even WORTH $1500!! It's a frickin' 88 honda accord!

I am so angry!

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2007 12:13      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
option B?  -

sorry couldn't resist.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted January 06, 2007 12:14      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rats, sorry to hear that your car is being a drip.

/me sells business attire my car, for $1499.99 [Razz]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2007 12:15      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do it yourself (lots of time, some money) or have a friend do it. It sounds like they want to just drop a new motor in so they can charge you, but I'm not an über-gearhead. I think CommanderShroom is, though... (I'd mention -ct-, but I don't think you want to risk his horrible fortune being transferred to you if you take his advice [Razz] )

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2007 12:29      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they said they can replace the gaskets ($600 -- ridiculous) but that the car is so old it would be a matter of weeks or months before a new leak would present itself.

my family has pretty much decided to scrap my poor car (I'll miss my sticker collection), and I'll end up driving my moms old lexus with power steering problems, my dads old volvo with transmission problems, or my grandparents' camry that doesn't have any problems at all that I know of.

we'll see...

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2007 13:47      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry biz,

But first off an '88 Honda is not old. And if you don't have at least 6 figures on the odometer, it is far from tired. I love old American iron, but I cannot deny the fact the Japanese companies build them to last.

What gaskets did you blow? The only one I can think of that would cause that kind of price tag would be a rear main seal, and that reguires pulling the engine up and out to disconnect the transaxle from the motor.

And the rolling oil leaks is a utter BS. Who in the world did you take that thing to? First off, when they say something like that, there had better be more than "you car is 18 years old so it's shite" kind of an explanation.

Now that is not to say you are going to be trouble free. But an 88 Honda still can fetch a decent price out here. And most gaskets are easy to replace even if you spring another leak. I say get another opinion.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2007 14:47      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
What gaskets did you blow?

I don't know, I'm completely car illiterate.
he said the word "shaft" a lot. apparently there are two kinds?

its beyond me.

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2007 15:08      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though I know not much about Hondas, I agree with Shroom's opinon; get a second opinon. It sounds like the only shaft they're interested in is the one they want to give you.

Not to sound sexist, and PLEASE don't take it this way, but you might get a more honest opinion if you take a car-knowledgeable man with you to get your second opinion. A lot of mechanics ARE sexist, and they see women (especially those that don't know much about cars) as big targets. The dollar signs roll through their eyes and all they worry about is how big a bill they can give you. To be fair, they often do this to car-unknowledgeable men too, but they prey on women moreso, IMHO.

Also, call car talk! 888-CAR-TALK, that's 888-227-8255 and leave Click and Clack a message, they love this kind of "I think I'm getting screwed by my mechanic" stuff; and they'll be able to tell you if the mechanic sounds like he's on his game or if whatever he said is "booooogus!"

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2007 15:25      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I will pretty well guarantee that they are meaning the main seals. Classically they are referred to as front and rear main seals. Both of them keep oil leaking from around the crank shaft. It will produce a very nasty leak when they wear out.

It is a bear to do, and I personally loathe replacing main seals on front wheel drive cars. Too much crap in the way. But on occasion you can find a small time shop that will do the work for a relatively decent price.

So absolutely find another mechanic, get second or even third opinions.

I cannot stand Click and Clack personally. But whatever works.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2007 16:28      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BA_____________________If you leave the car idling in the drive does a steady stream of oil come out? If so from the rear to the front think of an imaginary line the length of the car is the oil leak on the passenger side or the driver side. One last question, did you have an oil change done on the car recently?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2007 16:30      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should always get second and third opinions on repairs that cost a significant amount of money unless you know for a fact that the quoted price is reasonable.

That said, go for the grandparent's Camry if you have to. They're reasonably well built and, if it's an early 90's model, there's something like a 25% chance that I helped make the windshield for it.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2007 18:49      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
BA_____________________If you leave the car idling in the drive does a steady stream of oil come out? If so from the rear to the front think of an imaginary line the length of the car is the oil leak on the passenger side or the driver side. One last question, did you have an oil change done on the car recently?

the car only leaks when a foot is on the gas. then its a steady stream.
its on the drivers side.
I had my oil changed last week. its not the filter.

quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted January 06, 2007 20:11      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This penquin is driving through nowhere Arizona and he starts noticing smoke pouring out his exhaust. Eventually he spots a truck stop and pulls in. He explains the problem to the mechanic, who says "OK, let me look at it for a few minutes. You can get a cup of coffee in the diner."

The penquin has nothing better to do, so he waddles into the truck-stop restaurant. The last thing he wants in the Arizona heat is a hot cup of coffee, so he gets a big bowl of vanilla ice-cream. He tucks in, as someone without opposable thumbs would, and has soon covered his face in it.

When he finishes, he goes to check on his car. The mechanic say, "It looks like you blew a seal". The penquin wipes his chin and says "No, it's just the ice cream".

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2007 20:31            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Razz]
IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2007 03:56      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BA_________________________________Okay now we are getting some where, after the car has set over night engine off open the hood find the dipstick and check the oil (high or low) this is important. Also am I dealing with a stick or automatic?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2007 19:26      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BA,

A long time ago, back wbefore dinosaurs and ferns had become fossil fuel, I was a student and simply got sick and tired of old cars. They seemed to break down right when it was time for work, or class or for an interview or something important. Fixing them always cost more than what I had.

I gave up on car and insurance payments and decided to ride a bicycle, walk and take the bus. The only time I drove a car was when I rented one on weekends from a car dealer who sometimes had a spare courtesy car to rent.

I got to like riding the bus because it was a great place to do work on Econ homework ( I got straight 4.0 on 4.0 scale), read the Bible and the complete works of Herman Melville. Don't ask why, it worked for me.

After just about two years I had saved enough money to make a significant down payment on a new car without having huge payments.

Buy a good, solid small car new, take care of it and it will take care of you. Usually I don't have to sell the things until they have 250,000 miles on them.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2007 20:46      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
qf: Awesome, dude! [Smile]

Bonus points for featuring a penguin... [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted January 09, 2007 06:23      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
QF: Thanks for a much needed laugh this morning! [Big Grin] [thumbsup] [Applause]
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture