homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Next, Bush will want to read your diary!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Next, Bush will want to read your diary!
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 2 posted January 04, 2007 19:19      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a recent signing statement the President of the USA claims he has the authority to read your mail without a warrant.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/linkset/2005/04/11/LI2005041100879.html

My, my, my ...

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2007 19:34      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bush can read? Now that's news! [evil]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2007 19:44      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wrote, "want" to read your diary. [Wink]

And "authority" to read your mail.

Everyone knows Dick Cheney does George's reading for him.

Very funny, Jedi. Very funny, indeed.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2007 07:15      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colonel Panic_____________________I was watching an expert in Constitutinal Law explain that the Fourth amendant does not prevent such searches, IT JUST SEEMS TO ME THAT THE CONSTITUTION I DEFENDED IS NOT THE ONE IN FORCE NOW.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2007 08:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's my understanding that the law as written does not directly allow for this, but rather, this is George's misinterpretation of the law. The signing statement holds no effect, but is simply an opportunity for /someone/ to show his ignorance. However, certain other scary laws do allow for this to be done, so that's just proof that you should vote for Hillary in '08.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The-Tech
Geek
Member # 2506

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2007 08:40      Profile for The-Tech     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
It's my understanding that the law as written does not directly allow for this, but rather, this is George's misinterpretation of the law. The signing statement holds no effect, but is simply an opportunity for /someone/ to show his ignorance. However, certain other scary laws do allow for this to be done, so that's just proof that you should vote for Hillary in '08.

Unfortunately here's proof that we are screwed either way ....
Hillary wants a V-Chip in your i-pod

Seems to me our personal liberty is being assaulted from both sides of the senate aisle [shake head]
Maybe global warming is actually being caused by the friction of our founding fathers rolling in their graves?

2008 will be a tough year for elections and for the Democrats sake let's hope Al Gore doesn't accept a Green Party Nomination and screw them completely.

DISCLAIMER:
I do not endorse, follow, believe or drink the kool-aid of either of the main political parties in this country. This post is in no way an endorsement of either party over the other it is merely my opinion which AFAIK I am still permitted to have.

Dave

--------------------
God not only plays dice with the universe,
he sometimes throws them where they cannot be seen
--- Stephen Hawking

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject -- Winston Churchill

Posts: 128 | From: Third Stone from the Sun | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2007 08:48      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The-Tech
DISCLAIMER:
I do not endorse, follow, believe or drink the kool-aid of either of the main political parties in this country. This post is in no way an endorsement of either party over the other it is merely my opinion which AFAIK I am still permitted to have.

And guess what? I don't terribly like Hillary. [Razz] I still think she's a carpetbagger, but I happen to otherwise think she's got a bit of character, and the better of other evils.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The-Tech
Geek
Member # 2506

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2007 08:56      Profile for The-Tech     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The-Tech
DISCLAIMER:

And guess what? I don't terribly like Hillary. [Razz] I still think she's a carpetbagger, but I happen to otherwise think she's got a bit of character, and the better of other evils.

I fully understand your point D-Man and respect and defend it.
The disclaimer was not meant for reasonable people like you D-Man but for the few fanatics who may wish to rant at me. Of course only a reasonable person would read the disclaimer. Oh BTW Happy New Year !

Dave

--------------------
God not only plays dice with the universe,
he sometimes throws them where they cannot be seen
--- Stephen Hawking

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject -- Winston Churchill

Posts: 128 | From: Third Stone from the Sun | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2007 09:35      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right now I'm hoping Obama will run in '08, and it looks like he will, barring any big changes of heart.

Drink the kool-aid... you'll like it. [Wink]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2007 11:45      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

And before you know it we'll be seeing hi definition videos (recorded by standing by intern with a cell phone) of her pulling a femmeBill in the oval office. The oval office would then later be refered to only as "The Big O."
Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2007 13:40      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently, Obama trails Hillary as the favored democratic candidate.

Which sucks. I'm tired of legacies, and I'm tired of old people. I actually find Barack's lack of experience the best thing going for him. <_<

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture