homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » What is mellowness?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is mellowness?
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2006 10:32      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(caution: ranty)

...Mellowness is the ability to control anger and settle differences without violence or destruction. Mellowness is patience. It is the willingness to pass up immediate pleasure in favor of the long-term gain. Mellowness is perseverance, the ability to sweat out a project or a situation in spite of heavy opposition and discouraging set-backs. Mellowness is the capacity to face unpleasantness and frustration, discomfort and defeat, without complaint or collapse. Mellowness is humility. It is being big enough to say, "I was wrong." And, when right, the mature person need not experience the satisfaction of saying, "I told you so."

Mellowness is the ability to make a decision and stand by it. The immature spend their lives exploring endless possibilities; then they do nothing. When you make a mistake, don't look back at it long. Take the reason of the thing into your mind and then look forward. Mistakes are lessons of wisdom. The past cannot be changed , but the future is yet in your power.

Mellowness means dependability, keeping one's word, coming through in a crisis. The immature are masters of the alibi. They are the confused and the disorganized. Their lives are a maze of broken promises, former friends, unfinished business, and good intentions that somehow never materialize.

Mellowness is the art of living in peace with that which we cannot change, the courage to change that which should be changed -- and the wisdom to know the difference.

What’s more, there comes a time when you must stand alone. You must feel confident enough within yourself to follow your own dreams. You must be willing to make sacrifices. You must be capable of changing and rearranging your priorities so that your final goal can be achieved. Sometimes, familiarity and comfort need to be challenged. There are times when you must take a few extra chances and create your own realities. Be strong enough to at least try to make your life better. When we react to life from the head without joining forces with the heart, it can lead us into childish, inelegant behavior that we don't respect in ourselves. If we get the head in sync with the heart first, we have the power of their teamwork working for us and we can make the changes we know we need to make...

and before anybody else can:
dictionary.com

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2006 10:45      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mellowness is overrated. Now go break something.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2006 11:11      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The OED is much more succint:
"The quality or state of being mellow."

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2006 11:15      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
Mellowness is overrated. Now go break something.

meet you at the bell tower? [Wink]
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2006 12:38      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
business attire____________________I am starting to run out of places to hide the evidence.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
JulioC
Geek
Member # 4370

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2006 13:01      Profile for JulioC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mellow = Emo?

--------------------
www.jcmrpgart.blogspot.com
612toApocalypse

Posts: 182 | From: Brazil | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2006 14:23      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2006 15:31      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think ba you are actually describing grace under pressure, a far more admirable quality than mellowness, which has slight overtones of Californian beach narcissism and silly '60s hippy psychobabble for me. It's not a word that ever caught on much in the UK.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
never_ask_why333
Geek
Member # 6340

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2006 20:01      Profile for never_ask_why333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice. Well done and very thorough!

--------------------
I haven't forgotten
and I won't forget
I just haven't gotten
around to it yet

You can call me Eternity :)

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2006 11:47      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
I think ba you are actually describing grace under pressure

you know, you're right. I think thats closer to what I was trying to grasp.
sometimes its hard to see words through a cloudy head.
thanks!

Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2007 14:55      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BA,

Mellowness is a small village in New Mexico nestled on the eastern edge of the Sangre de Christo Mountains.

There is a small cantina there where the beer is always 33 degrees F, the cheeseburgers fresh and cooked just the way you request, a game of pool is still 25 cents, you know every song on the juke box because they are your favorites, every stranger is a friend, and it never matters what color your skin is -- because everyone but the gringos end up dark brown.

Wanna go there sometime?

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2007 15:00      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear God, yes.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture