homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Shallow Illustrated

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shallow Illustrated
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 10:21      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently having a swimsuit issue wasn't shallow enough...

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 10:37      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it me or are half the atheletes on the list surfers.

Secondly, surfing is a skill, not a sport.

The same goes for;
skiing,
snowboarding,
golf,
and figure skating.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 11:03      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure the skier or snowboard racers out there would agree with you.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 11:13            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you define the difference between a skill and a sport, then? I was not aware that they were mutually exclusive, and isn't sport just a competition based on skill in physical activities?
IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 11:23      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
sport /spɔrt, spoʊrt/
–noun
1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

Surfing, skiing, snowboarding, and figure skating are all quite physically demanding and can be competitive. Golf isn't as physically demanding, but it is still competitive.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 11:26      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
I'm not sure the skier or snowboard racers out there would agree with you.

ok racing is sportive.

freestyle is not.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 11:28      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To me, an activity must be directly competitive and must raise your heart rate through sustained aerobic activity to be considered a sport. Golf is directly competitive, but only raises your heart rate via stress, if at all. Competitive snowboarding or skiing meets both my criteria. Ping Pong/Table Tennis is a gray area.

I'm inclined to call surfing a skill, but it does meet both my "sport" criteria.

Maybe I should add a stipulation that a "sport" must have a non-subjective scoring system? That would eliminate figure skating, gymnastics and surfing, among others.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 12:04      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So ladies, what's your definition of "hot?" We poor misguided geeks could certainly use a few pointers, just so we know what to aim for.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 12:05      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
Maybe I should add a stipulation that a "sport" must have a non-subjective scoring system? That would eliminate figure skating, gymnastics and surfing, among others.

And soccer.

(still bitter about a certain deranged referee in the World Cup)

btw - Alisa Camplin is a TTB, she was in the same Computer Science classes as a workmate of mine.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 12:41      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
So ladies, what's your definition of "hot?" We poor misguided geeks could certainly use a few pointers, just so we know what to aim for.

Well, for the "juges", it seems hot = cute-face + famous. I went through the male photos, and, although most of them are cute, and the others have the "bad-guy" look, only a few made my "hotness-scale" needle move. The others went: 'Yeah, he's cute. So?'

To me, hotness is interior attitude first, seething to the outside through the smile and glance. Positive attitude, elegant manners, and a touch of handsomness (!= cute), now _that's_ hot! [Big Grin]

(And what's with all those shaved heads? Balding isn't necessarily a bad thing; it can even be worn very handsomly. Just remember: excess of a good thing can be as bad as a lack of it.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 13:46      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a sucker for a good jawline, small ears, blue or green eyes, good eyebrows, and a killer smile.

if you have two or three out of the bunch, I'm a smitten lady.

...oh yeah, and men in uniform.

Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2006 14:06      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
So ladies, what's your definition of "hot?"

Mysteriously ubiquitous shark suits. [hearts]
JulioC
Geek
Member # 4370

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2007 16:18      Profile for JulioC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[ohwell]

[Confused]

--------------------
www.jcmrpgart.blogspot.com
612toApocalypse

Posts: 182 | From: Brazil | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2007 23:33      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by business attire:
I'm a sucker for a good jawline, small ears, blue or green eyes, good eyebrows, and a killer smile.

if you have two or three out of the bunch, I'm a smitten lady.

...oh yeah, and men in uniform.

*throws on his Starfleet Captain's dress uniform*

>_>

(I wish I had one of those.)

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture