homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Farewell James

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Farewell James
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2006 22:04      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's just too sad, he seemed like a great guy. Always enjoyed his work on TechTV. [weep]

James Kim 1971-2006

-

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2006 22:07      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hadn't even heard of him before the search started, but it's certainly a sad story. I wasn't expecting this ending.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2006 22:48      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Such a tragic series of events. I had a sinking feeling when they found his family and discovered that he'd left them to find help. I can only imagine the pain that they must be feeling knowing that if he'd stayed with the car things would have been fine. So so sad. [weep]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted December 06, 2006 23:18      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Such sad news. [Frown]

We've been thinking about this all week long, and following the news. So hopeful after his wife and kids were found, so afraid that this might be the result when James wasn't.

[Frown]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted December 07, 2006 05:18      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, I was not aware of the story until the tragic discovery yesterday. He will be missed by many.
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2006 06:07      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(As I stated in the other thread, before seeing this one...)

This is a very sad end to this story. I had been following it for days, and had such hope when they found his wife and daughters.

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2006 00:06      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Death by google?

quote:
from TFA:
Despite its impassable snowdrifts and single lane, Bear Camp Road is offered as the preferred route on some websites and on-board-directions software available on some new cars...

...When using the Yahoo Maps, MapQuest and Google Maps online services to plot directions from Grants Pass to Gold Beach, Yahoo and MapQuest both recommend taking the same, safer highway route, while Google suggests a shortcut through roads that become dangerous in winter.

You geeks be careful on those winter roads, 'hear?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2006 00:42      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When they found his pants, I started having a really bad feeling. He was so close to shelter too. [Frown]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2006 07:08      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There have been a few articles written on how to avoid a tragedy like this; for those of you who have missed them here are a few pointers --

When traveling through snow country during snow season pack an emergency kit and keep it in your trunk.

Mine includes:

A mountain tent, two down sleeping bags and ground rolls, a small mountain camp stove and cook kit, a cannister of stove fuel, some dehydrated backpacker's meals, a small hunting knife, a shovel, matches, a candle lantern, three candles, a sweater, wool speedskating tights, a polypro hat and neoprene gloves.

This stuff fits in a small t-bag that I keep next to my Harley for Spring, Summer and Fall travel. In the winter it goes in the trunk of my car. I also keep some jumper cables, a small tool kit, a gas siphon and signal flares in the trunk.

In the event that snow stalls my travel in a remote area, I can dig a trench in the snow, set up the tent, bury it with the snow and hunker down. Snow is an excellent insulator.

If need be, I can siphon some gasoline and burn my spare tire. That will provide additional warmth for at least a day and the black smoke will raise the attention of any fire spotters. That still leaves me with four additional full-sized tires.

This poor man failed to do this and he died. Darwin works in mysterious ways.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rednivek

Member # 1148

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2006 09:47      Profile for Rednivek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And so does karma.

No reason to be snarky about it.

--------------------
Rednivek - Detroit, Michigan, USA

Posts: 714 | From: Detroit/Windsor | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2006 14:19      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose that is so, and I was harsh. I apologize.

We should only be snarky regarding poor, dieing black women who take refuge in a hurricane in the Superdome, and not Yuppies in an SUV who decide to take a shortcut in a snowstorm in Oregon's version of the Donner Pass.

http://www.geekculture.com/ultimatebb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=19;t=000917

I must have forgotten where I was for a while.

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rednivek

Member # 1148

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2006 14:23      Profile for Rednivek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about neither one?

--------------------
Rednivek - Detroit, Michigan, USA

Posts: 714 | From: Detroit/Windsor | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2006 15:24      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Death by google?

quote:
from TFA:
Despite its impassable snowdrifts and single lane, Bear Camp Road is offered as the preferred route on some websites and on-board-directions software available on some new cars...

...When using the Yahoo Maps, MapQuest and Google Maps online services to plot directions from Grants Pass to Gold Beach, Yahoo and MapQuest both recommend taking the same, safer highway route, while Google suggests a shortcut through roads that become dangerous in winter.

You geeks be careful on those winter roads, 'hear?
Google maps almost made me miss my graduation. I use Mapquest again now [Smile]
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 09, 2006 15:37      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tend to ignore driving directions on MapQuest and Google maps and just look at the maps. Can't go wrong that way.

I'd put the blame on the vandals who opened the road, and not Google, TFD.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture