homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Well here's a shocker from M$

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Well here's a shocker from M$
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2006 11:45      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have to acknowledge loyalty such as this.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2006 12:32      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dislike Microsoft as much as the next mac-loving, firefox-toting, linux-using geek, but this article takes a very unfair look at Office '07 and is nothing but MS-bashing as far as I'm concerned.

Of course the new document format won't be compatible with old versions of Office. Seriously, what do they expect? The introduction of a new format magically supported by all old software revisions? It is a *new* format after all. [Roll Eyes]

I've not done the research to confirm this, but I'm fairly certain that one can save documents to an older format if they choose, just as current versions of office do.

</rant>

All that said, I do concede that this will be quite inconvenient for mac users (myself included) who are receiving documents from users of the '07 suite, but the issue has been far too overblown. (The link GG posted is not the first to address this issue)

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2006 12:42      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ar$4holes! [thumbsdown]

No longer will I be telling people at work that their Office for Windows is not as good as my Office X:for mac. Sadly, it seems MS are going to neglect the better version in favour of the one from which they can earn more $$$.

Plus ca change.... [ohwell]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2006 13:01      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the biggest issue I have with all this is the terms associated with access to the API. (Basically...it's 'open' on the condition that if you look at it, you can never look at open source code again related to office suites.)

Looks to me like they're using a compressed form of XML there...or some app just screwed up hideously.

XML may be the wunderchild of formats, but for this text munger, I find it a PITA to work with.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2006 13:07      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spiderman wrote:
Seriously, what do they expect? The introduction of a new format magically supported by all old software revisions?

You'd be amazed how many people actually expect just that. I know my company's customers seem continually surprised that they can't open newer format databases in older versions of the software.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2006 14:07      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have experienced the Office '07 Beta, you can indeed save it in the older format. Novell is sending out a plugin for the new format to add into OO.o.

I don't feel comfortable with the new format though. And it is a modified XML format. And will be a real PITA when documents are being sent out to other companies.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2006 07:04      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI: From Digg/apple
http://www.eightysevenfour.com/?p=14

(Not saying that I'd even want to /look/ at the contents, but it's still useful info, IMHO.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2006 17:06      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay. Then there is today's bit of good news from the Brothers Grimm: this?

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2006 17:12      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This type of closed-mindedness can hurt M$ initial sales, too. Very few businesses are islands unto themselves. They have clients, agents, suppliers, etc. and staying compatible is costly.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture