homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » The Honeymoon is over

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Honeymoon is over
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted October 21, 2006 22:43      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, for those that remember my last post about how great Ubuntu is, and how my world is wonderful now between Linux and OS X, I've got bad news. The main drive on my POS PC died last week. A Maxtor 120GB drive (2 yrs. old, too) just up and went south on me. No warning, either. And, completely out of warranty.

There I was, playing with compiz and such, trying out some new stuff I came across, and, bam! (Not the Emeril bam! mind you, more like the just got run over by a bus bam!) I screwed myself and my window manager. No go. And when I tried to fix the problem (all command line at this point) the screen would occassionaly lock up (this was at the point of getting the "You're X window config is screwy, do you want to pretend that you know something and fix it manually?" screen). After about 3 or 4 hard reboots (maybe more), Ubuntu would no longer boot. I tried to boot into Windows and got a message that ntoskernel.exe could not be found. ("What the F***?!?!?!?!" was my thought.) After trying to extract it from my install CD the SMART system kindly reported that the drive was failing. "Huh," I thought, "Maybe the partition table was hosed. I should try running a utility to repair the partition info." So, after running a couple of very ineffectual utilities to try to repair the problem, I gave up. (All of this had taken me probably around 10 hours between trying different X window configs and trying to repair my Win2K install, multiple times.)

So, I took out my 250GB Seagate drive (with a universe of backup files) and prayed that its partition table was still intact (I was still scared that somehow doing a hard reboot with Ubuntu had completely screwed both drives, especially since the PC's BIOS had reported the Seagate drive at 89GB, not 250GB). I popped it into an external drive case, and thankfully, it works. It's great. I have it hooked into my mini via Firewire and the transfer speeds are, well, speedy. [Smile]

Long story somewhat shorter ... I salvaged what I could from the POS (a recently purchased GeForce MX4000 video card, two port USB card, Ethernet card, 512MB PC-100 RAM [placed into a workhorse G4], and Sony CD-RW drive) and tossed that baby out. Gave it a few good drops to the ground for good measure (nothing feels better than taking out one's anger and aggression on inanimate objects). I feel lighter with that monster gone. But, VPC is not the best long term solution seeing as how I have an HP Color Laserjet 2550L and no way to access the Toolbox software. Which means that I can't check toner levels and make other adjustments to the thing. Oh, I really don't like the printer much, either. In fact, I've come to nearly despise HP as a whole. Well, except for my 22S Scientific calculator. Seems that HP "quietly" dropped work on the Toolbox software for the Mac, and the Laserjet Utility for Classic can't find the printer, even when hooked directly to the mini.

Anyway, now I shall bide my time and consider either a MacBook Pro, or a Dell. I need access to Windows for a few essential bits of software, and some games I have that I would like to play; one day, some day. I think I shall wait to see if Apple uses the newer Core 2's. I'd rather get a MacBook Pro as I prefer OS X and my experience with Apple hardware has been excellent. I'd consider a Sony laptop, but they all use integrated graphics. And the quality of Dell's hardware is okay at best. Plus, for the amount of money I would need to spend to get what I want, the MacBook Pro is well within the price range (not that Macs are more expensive than other PC's, it's just that for what I want the price differential between Mac and other PC's is negligible at best).

Well, that's the news for all that care. Oh, I did fix someone else's computer. Got that puppy up and running again. Almost like new. Now, if only I could get a serious business going with that kind of work I'd be set. [evil]

tweety

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 04:22      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tweety________________________This is just a thought but it keeps recuring to me. That maybe we would be better served if we made a Raid Array that mirrored all our data, then in case of a single drive failure we would have the mirror to copy from. I don't know how to do this but I am going to start studing, I have too much to loose.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 12:30      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
tweety________________________This is just a thought but it keeps recuring to me. That maybe we would be better served if we made a Raid Array that mirrored all our data, then in case of a single drive failure we would have the mirror to copy from. I don't know how to do this but I am going to start studing, I have too much to loose.

Or just don't buy Maxtors. [Wink]

Also, spelling nitpicks:
tweety: That should be "Your X window config..."
TheMoMan: That should read "too much to lose."

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 12:34      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
... I am going to start studing...

For the benefit of us lesser folk, kindly explain how one can get into this sport, Mo. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 14:13      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GG______________________With a pile of 2X4s some nails and a hammer or a Nail gun.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 16:08            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But do Nail make nail guns?
IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2006 17:55      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uilleann__________________You come within range and you might catch a ten penny.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2006 09:50      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, don't scare us like that. Your thread title made us think your significant other got devoured by a bunch of flesh-eating zombies, but turns out it was nothing but a simple hard drive crash.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2006 14:41      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dragonman97 - Oops, should have seen that. But, I suppose that's the price one pays for posting late while being sleepy. I do try to catch such errors, but, I guess I am human after all (and I was so wishing I more a god than human). Oh, and I bought the drive after the original that came with the machine died suddenly. The first drive was a WD, which I had, up until then, always had good luck. When I went to replace the drive I started reading review of WD HDD's that were fairly negative, but thought I had read some positive reviews of Maxtor. Now Seagate owns Maxtor, so we'll see how that goes.

MoMan - I would consider a RAID Array, however, as of right now I have two mini's at my disposal, and setting up an external RAID system is not within budget. Luckily, all of the really important data was not kept on the main drive. That I was just using for OS and installed programs. Looks like my foresight paid off.

Zeso - No, luckily my significant other is doing quite well. It's the damned PC that drove me nuts.

tweety

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture