homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Just as I always thought... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Just as I always thought...
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2006 12:48      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...there's truly nothing better than a nice cuppa tea and a sit down. Here's some proof (SFW) for all of you from tea-shy cultures. [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2006 14:30      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh...I saw the same story earlier today, and sent it to a fellow American b3ta-reading GCer and tea drinker. [Wink]

I'm actually pleased to see the thing about hydration...that's a better answer than the overly-hyped stuff we've all heard before.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2006 15:19      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although tea has been known for ages to do good things for folks, I have to point out that BBC does this whole thing with no mention of sugar in tea, Which many people pile on to their detriment. Then the last little line proclaims that while the Tea Council paid for the study, the research was independent.

If Pepsico paid for a study to show the benefits of Pepsi, would it get the same reportage?

There's a bias there.

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2006 16:48      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tea people do not lie.
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2006 17:05      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's not what Maisie told us...

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2006 17:49      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who puts sugar in tea?! Milk...of course. But sugar? Heathen!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2006 18:04      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spungo___________________Not quite a year ago I read about a study done in Panama about the native Indian tribes there. Those that lived out on the Islands drank a form of tea made from cocoa leaves, the population as a whole does not not have high blood pressure. So as a lark I daily add two tablespoons of baking cocoa to my tea or coffee, My blood pressure is now about 122/70 I do have to add that I also take BP meds but that they did not bring the pressure down that far. Also the stepsons wife whom is a nurse states that people in nursing homes that take Cranberry extract for uninary tract problems have to have their BP doses lowered while taking the extract.

Here is a link to the study that I read
http://www.chocolate.org/health/epicatechin.html

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2006 18:14      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

Milk?! A true gentleman always takes his tea with a slice of lemon. [Wink]
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2006 20:54      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate adding sugar or milk to my tea. I prefer just plain original tea.

quote:
They found clear evidence that drinking three to four cups of tea a day can cut the chances of having a heart attack.

wow, health professionals are wanting people to become fat. Every week they keep recommending another product which we should take for health benefits. But don't these people realize all this food makes us fat. If i drank 4 cups of tea a day plus all the liguids i all ready drink. Then i should just make my house into one giant urinal.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2006 22:06      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's another reason.

I usually have large cup of Irish Breakfast Tea straight every morning, and either another cup or iced tea in the afternoon.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2006 07:09      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I love Assam. I'm really not into perfume-like teas - Earl Grey (blechh!!) - and Lapsang Souchong just smells like kippers.
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2006 08:39      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They obviously never heard The Kinks' song "Have A Cuppa Tea" from Muswell Hillbillies:

Grannys always ravin and rantin
And shes always puffin and pantin,
And shes always screaming and shouting,
And shes always brewing up tea.

Grandpappys never late for his dinner,
Cos he loves his leg of beef
And he washes it down with a brandy,
And a fresh made cup of tea.

Chorus:
Have a cuppa tea, have a cuppa tea,
Have a cuppa tea, have a cuppa tea,
Halleluja, halleluja, halleluja, rosie lea
Halleluja, halleluja, halleluja rosie lea.

If you feel a bit under the weather,
If you feel a little bit peeved,
Take grannys stand-by potion
For any old cough or wheeze.
Its a cure for hepatitis its a cure for chronic insomnia,
Its a cure for tonsilitis and for water on the knee.

Chorus

Tea in the morning, tea in the evening, tea at supper
Time,
You get tea when its raining, tea when its snowing.
Tea when the weathers fine,
You get tea as a mid-day stimulant
You get tea with your afternoon tea
For any old ailment or disease
For christ sake have a cuppa tea.

Chorus,

Whatever the situation whatever the race or creed,
Tea knows no segregation, no class nor pedigree
It knows no motivations, no sect or organisation,
It knows no one religion,
Nor political belief.

Chorus.

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2006 10:28      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:
If i drank 4 cups of tea a day plus all the liguids i all ready drink. Then i should just make my house into one giant urinal.

You mean it's not?

*looks around*
UHoh.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2006 14:32      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't tea and coffee turn your teeth brown?
Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2006 14:46      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting article (as I sit here sipping my Darjeeling).

quote:

I prefer honey.
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 25, 2006 15:15      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mel:
Don't tea and coffee turn your teeth brown?

Tea doesn't generally stain clothing, in my experience, unless it's made really strong, so I don't think it stains teeth much. It certainly isn't as bad as coffee can be in that department.

If that's still a concern, there are some excellent green and white teas out there, which I'm certain wouldn't stain, since they don't have much color at all.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2006 14:46      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Personally, I love Assam. I'm really not into perfume-like teas - Earl Grey (blechh!!) - and Lapsang Souchong just smells like kippers.

I used to love Assam too, when I lived in London, but it doesn't seem to work so well with the hard water we have here in Sussex. Proper leaf tea made in a teapot is best, but if you haven't the time I recommend Fyers Sussex Blend in teabags. It makes a better mug of tea in these parts.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2006 15:23      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tea?

Tea?

Ick!
Pfft!
Blecchhh!

"Waiter, waiter, perculator" [sic]

http://www.thepuppinisisters.com/

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 26, 2006 15:54      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oohh...interesting.

Kind of like a female version of Richard Cheese, but more professional. [Razz]
/me listens to a copy of "Insane in the Brain" from his friend

--------------------

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 14, 2006 15:53      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:
quote:

Milk?! A true gentleman always takes his tea with a slice of lemon. [Wink]
That's how I drink my tea. I also add a spoon of local raw honey in it too. Tastes better than sugar and it's great for keeping your allergies in check.

Edit: My favorite tea is Longjing.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sirius
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 14, 2006 21:29      Profile for Sirius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, so I guess I'm the only Earl Grey drinker here? [Razz]

does anyone know if those 'iced green tea' bottles you get from companies like Lipton do infact have all the benifits of real green tea? it's seems most things that come in bottles these days aren't quite what they claim to be. [shake head]

Posts: 16 | From: Perth | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2006 03:02      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
originally posted by Sirius:
ok, so I guess I'm the only Earl Grey drinker here?

Nope. I'm a big Earl Grey fan too, although I commit both the Cardinal Sins of milk and sugar. I used to drink Lapsang Souchong quite often (no milk or sugar), and I do have a soft spot for green Jasmine tea (no milk or sugar). [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 15, 2006 03:39      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bah, ye pretentious gits, drinkin' yer namby-pamby foreign-like 'erbal tea things [Wink] .

Personally, I think nothing beats a cup of good old Yorkshire Tea brewed strong, milky and sweet. It's the stuff that's made Yorkshire people so blunt and no-nonsense for decades [Big Grin] .

(I also love Jasmine Tea, but don't tell anyone, they won't let me back over the border [Razz] )

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 15, 2006 09:44      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aye, Yorkshire tea - wi' nowt farted about wi'.

Blunt - yeah, that's a good word to describe Yorkshiremen... not quite the term I would have used, mind...

Eey - I love Geoffrey Boycott, though, "Spank it, lad," I heard him once say.

Have you heard about the oral injections of ecstasy they do in Huddersfield nightclubs now? They call it e-by-gum. [Wink] (Sorry)

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Sirius
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 15, 2006 22:25      Profile for Sirius     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
Nope. I'm a big Earl Grey fan too, although I commit both the Cardinal Sins of milk and sugar.

me too, me too [Razz]
I did stop the sugar for a while. I'm back on it but easing myself off again lol. Couldn't stop the milk though.

Posts: 16 | From: Perth | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture