homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Rant (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Rant
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted August 05, 2006 13:04      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<RANT>
I have met some stupid sales people in my day but tonight I have met the dumbest. I was purchasing some spices amongst other groceries. Specifically; tyme, oregano and taragon. They were all in the same bottle but they did not cost the same. As I was checking out when the cashier scanned my three spices, she scanned the first one, then the second, and then she scanned the third bottle three times. I just thought it didn’t scan the first two times but it was odd enough that after I paid I checked my receipt and sure enough she had charged me three times for the oregano. I brought this to the cashiers attention and she said since I had three of the same thing so she simply scanned one bottle three times. She said it didn’t matter because they cost the same. I said “NO, you had already scanned the first two bottles in, you charged me for a total of five bottles of spices. Plus, these are not all the same thing, they cost different prices.” She told me that when a customer purchases many of the same things, she will take one of those items and scan it many times. I told her I understand that, but that she charged me too much. I didn’t purchase five bottles. I purchased three. This went on for some time. I don’t know if she knew she made a mistake and just didn’t want to correct it or if she really didn’t understand that when you scan one item over and over for a group of items, THAT YOU DON”T THEN SCAN THE OTHER ITEMS IN THAT GROUP. Anyways I had to unpack my groceries and show her what I had purchased. She went down the receipt, checking each item off. When she came to the spices she just said and three bottles of spices. I said if that line there is the three bottles of spices, what are those other two lines above it. She was like, your other two bottles of spices. Then I said, but I only have three total bottles of spices, not five. She then looked at me confused. When I finally got her to call the boss out of his office the mistake was immediately corrected. blöde Fotze.

</RANT>

I am also thinking, even if the spices cost the same, and she scanned one bottle three times, she would in the end still mess up because then the computer would think that there are two less of one spice on the shelf than there actually is and one more of two others. They track this stuff so they know when to put out more of items that are running low.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted August 05, 2006 13:12      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Technically you didn't buy any spices at all.

Thyme, Oregano and Tarragon are herbs, not spices...

[Razz]

Otherwise I completely concur. It possibly varies dependant on the POS used but in my local supermarkets they do multiples by scanning once and entering the multiplier on the till keypad, so there is no need to multiple scan...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2006 13:29      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It possibly varies dependant on the POS used but in my local supermarkets they do multiples by scanning once and entering the multiplier on the till keypad, so there is no need to multiple scan...
I always do a double-take when I read "POS". I guess in this case, both meanings are acceptable. [Smile]
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2006 22:58      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, you'd be surprised how vague they are on their inventory counts. They do shit like that all the time.

What she probably did, though, is go home and explain to her parents/boyfriend/friends/whatever about the stupid customer that came in today and didn't understand how she scans things.

We should ship people like that to somewhere uncivilised.

Like Australia. [Wink]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2006 23:52      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget: (in another thread)
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
EDITED OUT BY ME, I fed a troll then decided to take it's food away.

Well played.
'nuf said.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2006 23:55      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a different thread?
Why, if I didn't know any better, I'd say you sounded an awful lot like....

__

CARRIER LOST.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2006 07:14      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ashitaka ________ its not always the store employees (spelling??) who are sometimes stupid. Back when i used to work in a grocery store. I would have at least several customers come up to me during my shift and waste my time by looking for a product.

For example, one time i had this lady come up to me and ask where the sunflower seeds where. So i show her the plain sunflower seeds. Then she says she dosn't want that kind she wants flavored sunflower seeds. So i show her the flavored sunnflower seeds. She tells me then she dosn't want that kind but wants the baking sunflower seeds. So i show her the sunflower seeds used for baking. Then she says she dosn't want that kind either but instead wanted flavored sunflower seeds used for baking. So of course there is no such thing and she just wasted 20 minutes of my precious time.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2006 07:53      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For some funny stories that are fairly relevant to this, have a look here and here [somethingawful.com]

Honest, I'm not a spambot. [Wink]

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2006 08:31      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I went to a garden centre today to buy some pebbles, and the cashier couldnt even work the damn thing, she was'nt really to blame, and I did feel sorry for her a bit as she was obviously getting aggravated, I blame the managment, I mean why let people try and serve customers via a cash machine, when they have not been shown how to use it? It is just an embarresment to their employees....

Granted it was a garden centre, but still a standard should be kept, and it is very frustrating when you are just in a bit of a hurry and you have to wait for another member of staff to come over to show her how to work it...

Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2006 18:11      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are probably the same people that I see who can't figure out why 2/2 = 1.

"Well, imagine you have a pizza pie and you want to slice it in two... You now have two slices, but you still have one pie."

*Blank stare*

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2006 19:02      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't there 4 slices.

If you have a pizza pie, which is normally 8 slices, and you slice it in 2 , (8/2 = 4).

There are many different ways to slice it too.

Posts: 193 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2006 21:12      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Actually, you'd be surprised how vague they are on their inventory counts. They do shit like that all the time.

What she probably did, though, is go home and explain to her parents/boyfriend/friends/whatever about the stupid customer that came in today and didn't understand how she scans things.

We should ship people like that to somewhere uncivilised.

Like Australia. [Wink]

But haven't the aborigines suffered enough? Think of the children...
Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2006 23:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
In a different thread?
Why, if I didn't know any better, I'd say you sounded an awful lot like....

__

CARRIER LOST.

Note to self: never read dmans postings while drinking coffee [Smile]

/me wanders off to find some paper towel...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 03:18      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ARJ wrote:

We think of the children on a regular basis. They aren't tired of playing with the cute Easter bunnies we sent them already, are they? [evil]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 03:21      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rofl!!!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 03:48      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
ARJ wrote:

We think of the children on a regular basis. They aren't tired of playing with the cute Easter bunnies we sent them already, are they? [evil]

I don't get it. [Confused]

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 04:30      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
quote:
ARJ wrote:

I don't get it. [Confused]
lol, I dont know how to explain this without sounding evil [evil] I'll let Steen try.
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 04:50      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I_dont_get_it_list.add(tfdruid)

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 06:17      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those that didn't get it, rabbits are a bit of a problem in Australia.

Don't worry, though... we're sending some poisonous toads in to take care of the rabbits. [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 06:20      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Don't worry, though... we're sending some poisonous toads in to take care of the rabbits. [Smile]

It boggles the mind how such a tastey animal could be out of control.

maybe.logic ________ Why couldn't you explain this without sounding evil?

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2006 17:53      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Don't forget the foxes and feral cats! [Big Grin]

And the fire ants!

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted August 08, 2006 14:31      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But the dingoes ate my baby! [cry baby]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2006 14:52      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:

The dingo was framed.

--------------------

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2006 16:16      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:

The dingo was framed.
And hung over the mantel, no doubt.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2006 16:36      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And thus the phrase "Hung like a dingo" was born, ready to be misinterpreted by all the world

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture