homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Ahhhhh... Finally The Corporate World!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ahhhhh... Finally The Corporate World!
rivenGlitch
Geek Larva
Member # 3751

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted July 28, 2006 11:54      Profile for rivenGlitch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the age of 30, and have just finished my three year program at SAIT last December I have finally broken into the corporate world. Spending all of my twenties working for little companies (usually half broke ones) and bartending and serving arrogant people their food, I have finally reached a small level of success. Working for a great cooperation, in the IT field doing what I love to do; play with computers and networks. The great thing about this is that they pay me real money to do it too. Man I wish I had thought about getting a real job years ago. So now that I am getting settled in, as I approach the end of third week here, I could just about jump out of this chare and just scream, “Man I love this Job!” but I will restrain my self.

Yeah Me!!!!!

</rave>

Alright I know that all of you just can’t wait to post your comments about the world of the “corporate drone” and how little by little, day by day, this corporate thing will suck the life out of me till there is nothing left but a vacant mind, and a long stare that never seems to focus.

So bring it on!

--------------------
Programmer (def): An organism that converts caffeine into software.

Posts: 27 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 12:15      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rivenGlitch:
Alright I know that all of you just can’t wait to post your comments about the world of the “corporate drone” and how little by little, day by day, this corporate thing will suck the life out of me till there is nothing left but a vacant mind, and a long stare that never seems to focus.

So bring it on!

No, I won't. If you ever feel tired of it, use that good money to plan a carreer change! Ultimately, it's you who will decide if you give up your dreams or not, not the corporation. And who knows, maybe you'll thrive there, and in a dozen years, you'll be responsible for the whole IT department. [Wink]

So I say: congratulations, and dream on!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 15:30      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're only as much of a cog as you allow yourself to be. In a large company, you probably cannot distinguish yourself by having skills that are unavailable from anyone else, but that doesn't mean you can't stand out.

Chant one verse in latin and slap a rubber chicken against the side of a PC and have it start working in front of the company's General Manager, for instance, and nobody is ever going to forget you.

Of course there's always the possibility that you don't want to stand out quite that much. [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 17:44      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:

Chant one verse in latin and slap a rubber chicken against the side of a PC and have it start working in front of the company's General Manager, for instance, and nobody is ever going to forget you.

Voice of experience, huh Steen?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 12 posted July 28, 2006 17:50      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine wrote:
Voice of experience, huh Steen?

Hmm... where did that halo go? It's very hard to look innocent without it.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 18:22      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hid it because you were abusing it. [Razz]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 19:12      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
I hid it because you were abusing it. [Razz]

Yes, it's really not meant to be used as a frisbee. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 19:14      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would never use a halo as a frisbee.

It's more of a horse shoes game type thing [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 19:17      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Chant one verse in Latin...
Threadjack....
At my boss's wedding a few years ago, his brother gives a toast, and ends with "... I have only this to say - Gort, Klaatu barada nicto". My pals and I chuckled to each other, but someone turned to me, knowing I was the only Catholic in a room full of Jews and asks "QF, what did that Latin thing he said?"

I nearly pissed myself.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 20:00      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
At my boss's wedding a few years ago, his brother gives a toast, and ends with "... I have only this to say - Gort, Klaatu barada nicto".

/me has images of the wedding night ...

"So, did the Earth stand still for you?"

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
rivenGlitch
Geek Larva
Member # 3751

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2006 07:12      Profile for rivenGlitch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:

So I say: congratulations, and dream on!

Thanks, it’s always nice to have some one that will tell you to keep that dream of hope alive, even though we all know that slapping a rubber chicken on your bosses PC is how to get noticed, and getting noticed is the first step to getting promoted… or is it fired? The corporate world is sooooo complicated… :Z

quote:

Now all I need is one verse in Latin to chant… hmm, I do not know Latin, so any suggestions would be great!

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2006 07:52      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rivenGlitch wrote:
Chant one verse in Latin and slap a rubber chicken against the side of a PC and have it start working in front of the company's General Manager, for instance, and nobody is ever going to forget you.

Actually, that's my quote. Stereo is far cuter than I am and I don't think she runs around waving rubber chickens in the air like a mental patient.

rivenGlitch also wrote:
Now all I need is one verse in Latin to chant… hmm, I do not know Latin, so any suggestions would be great!

I don't really know Latin either, but "Credo quia impossible est" is fitting (and is what I used). I don't remember where I learned that line.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2006 07:56      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I recommend Catullus' Poem 94:

"Mentula moechatur. Moechatur mentula? Certe.
Hoc est quod dicunt: ipsa olera olla legit."

I won't translate it for fear of corrupting our more innocent members [Razz] . Suffice it to say, it would certainly get you noticed [Wink] .

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
rivenGlitch
Geek Larva
Member # 3751

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2006 08:09      Profile for rivenGlitch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:

Actually, that's my quote. Stereo is far cuter than I am and I don't think she runs around waving rubber chickens in the air like a mental patient.

Sorry Steen it’s early and that was nothing more then a little cut and paste error, my humblest apologies.

Though now I need to learn Latin as I have to know what this translates to:

quote:
Originally posted by skylar:

"Mentula moechatur. Moechatur mentula? Certe.
Hoc est quod dicunt: ipsa olera olla legit."

--------------------

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2006 09:03      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

If you find a real old bit of junk that you can't fix, I would recommend a nice simple...
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti... [Razz]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2006 14:37      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

See my sig.

Or, my old sig was Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur - Anything said in Latin sounds important.

Don't like either of those? There's a whole world of adventure to be found here

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2006 19:22      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

How about the latin thing quantumfluff said at his friend's wedding? [evil]

--------------------
- The Decemberists

quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 18:38      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't say it - my friends brother did - but I wish I did. And, TFD correctly recognized it was not Latin at all.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 18:43      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite limmerick with Latin in it....

A stableman's daughter named Prentiss
was morally non compos mentis.
She seduces her dad,
and when he can't be had,
uses horses in loco parentis.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture