homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Clothed pool party...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Clothed pool party...
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2006 23:23            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is for anyone who can get to London easily... What does anyone make of the idea of going to a clothed pool party? Where you go play in a pool but keep your clothes on.

Someone's organising one for around Hallowe'en and I'm tempted to go (it would be a first for me); although the organiser seems to be a nice bloke (and a geek apparently) it would be nice to actually know someone going! Since he and several others going are transvestites (four of them, "FORTRAN" he says...) it would be especially nice if some women were going! He's had woman geeks he knows be quite enthusiastic about coming the last two times, but they all chickened about, presumably, he reckons, because they were afraid they'd be the only woman there.

Mercifully, no alcohol, I think, for safety reasons!

Thoughts?

IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2006 00:40      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True story:

During my freshman or sophomore year in college I accepted a classmate's invitation for a pool party. I packed my bathing suit and towel in a bag and Mom dropped me off at the classmate's house. Well, I get inside and quickly realized that this was Bob who invited me: Bob who's crazy about pool--the game you play on a table with cue sticks and nine balls.

Talk about being embarrassed!

So what I want to know, Uilleann, is to what particular kind of pool are you invited? And, seeing as this is June, why are plans in the works already for an end-of-October party?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2006 08:00            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pool as in lots of DHMO and chlorine ... I suppose around these parts it may be considered normal to play billiards in Speedos or one's birthday suit but I would still be surprised ... I think this also takes care of your other question ....
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2006 18:50      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only kind of pool parties that matter are the ones where clothing is optional.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2006 02:26      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well i would say that when alcohol is involved chlothing "is" optional, but that loop-hole has been filled as well.

no alcohol + no skinny dipping + no girls = generally a pretty poor party [Frown]

I am not far from London though [evil]

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2006 02:32      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in London, but I think that would be a little too weird for my nave little mind.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2006 02:57      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do live within reach, but I've been to enough (one is more than enough) dodgy party with transvestites.

Enjoy it though! [Razz]

Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2006 06:31      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've gone swimming fully clothed before. (...and by "gone swimming," I mean "have been dumped in the ocean.") Just steer clear of jeans or long pants, they get ridiculously heavy and you'll sink like a stone.

Curiously enough, Vietnam War-era combat boots, with the vented slots near the soles, are brilliant for swimming, just in case you're too scared of the Innsmouth deep ones to touch bottom.

maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2006 10:00      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
Just steer clear of jeans or long pants, they get ridiculously heavy and you'll sink like a stone.

Now that depends on how you can swim [Confused]
Panda
Newbie Larva
Member # 5110

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2006 11:02      Profile for Panda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I've gone swimming fully clothed before. (...and by "gone swimming," I mean "have been dumped in the ocean.") Just steer clear of jeans or long pants, they get ridiculously heavy and you'll sink like a stone.

Closest thing to "swimming while clothed" is getting entirely soaked in the rain on my walk home from school. Fun fact: It rains almost ever day in singapore. [Big Grin] So yeah, I think you're right on the sinking part.

--------------------
14 year old geek
Found this site through the Joy of Tech comics. :D

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2006 15:26            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, I gotta move to Singapore...
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2006 21:31      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Curiously enough, Vietnam War-era combat boots, with the vented slots near the soles, are brilliant for swimming, just in case you're too scared of the Innsmouth deep ones to touch bottom.

I am not sure if this goes for all of the Military, but in the Navy you learn how to use just about every part of your uniform as a floatation device.
Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2006 23:13            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never progressed far enough with learning to swim that I ever got to be taught how to swim in clothes, float or even tread water. Being in water can be terrifying even it's not deep enough to drown in; I imagine the violent choking I'd get from water up my nose put me off a lot, as well as the ease at which you can disorientate in water. So I pretty much cannot swim.

Oddly, I cannot see quantumfluff as the kind to go to a nekkidness party; is there something you're not telling us, qf? ;)

maybe.logic: No-one said "no girls" at any stage. Yes, there may not be any but they're more than welcome. The organiser is charging half price for anyone in a skirt or a dress, primarily to encourage women to attend, but I think it may also to encourage cross-dressing? I am really not sure, as I don't know that he stated his new interpretation of it. I think his previous "parties" have also encouraged coming dressed in costumes but obviously only something you can take into the pool.

There are various reasons for swimming clothed, of course. It's fun, you're breaking convention, doing something you're not supposed to and in fact is generally forbidden in pools. As such, it's a form of regression and a harmless and fun one. It's silly and daft and we do need that element of silliness in our lives to maintain our mental balance, loosen up and be happy. It can also be sensual, to both sexes; it feels nice. It can also feel horrible, or both -- like many senses, you an react in more than one way; this is part of the same basis of course as BDSM. It's also sexy to look at :)

From his last mail, I quote:

quote:
... The more the merrier, it helps the public to realize that clothed swimming is not at all weird, it's just unusual (and fun!); and I usually refer to the pool parties as 'Fancy Dress Pool Party' or 'Creative Swimwear Pool Party', so it lets people be more adventurous in their choice of swim clothes (including CD [cross-dressing]). People must learn to be less 'dignified' and more 'carefree' :-)

I guess my underlying motivation is to educate people that they don't have to confine themselves to ''proper swimwear'' in a pool, (except in a public pool in normal public swim sessions due to boring regulations) and to make opportunities for those who are longing to swim clothed but are too shy or concerned about other people's image of them.

Hopefully it makes more sense now.
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2006 00:32      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing I'd caution you is don't wear nice clothing for fear they'll get ruined by the chlorine and other chemicals in the water. Some material and dyes don't react well. Other than that, have fun! [Smile]

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 16, 2006 01:01            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we're all aware of chlorine and even water by now ;) And I never said I was going ... I may, I may not. Who knows.

btw, "uilleann" is not capitalised. Not in my name, anyway. (Not that it was ever a proper noun)

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2006 01:10      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ehh, I guess I'm just accustomed to capitalizing it when talking with my friends who play the pipes. I'll try to remember you buck with typical rules of nomenclature. [Wink]

EDIT: I just took a look at that link. Whoa. Someone has way too much time on his/her hands! [Eek!]

--------------------

quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2006 07:13      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:Oddly, I cannot see quantumfluff as the kind to go to a nekkidness party; is there something you're not telling us, qf? [Wink]
OK, last time I was skinny dipping was in 1981, in the pool at one of our residential houses at college. They did have a periodic non-mandatory clothing night, but a few of us decided to ignore the calander on occasion. Back in high school we used to regularly break into one of the local pools at night for a swim.

I'm not a big fan of daytime, outdoor nudity (for myself that is [Smile] ). A sunburn on the cahones can really be annoying. ... I can see the threadjack into sack shaving coming...

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2006 22:30            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that's one thing settled -- the organiser cancelled it:

NUMLAWD: *** POOL PARTY AND ST.ALBANS MEET CANCELLED! PHONE ME FOR DETAILS ***
NUMLAWD: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/5110600.stm
NUMLAWD: This is the limit. For SAFETY reasons, therefore, *all* events involving my absence from home, including the Halloween pool party and 20060625 St.Albans meet, are CANCELLED.
NUMLAWD: Extract your apology (you fucking deserve one!) from the Brtitsh Poilce! NO CORRESPONDENCE REGARDING THIS MATTER CAN BE CONSIDERED.

I'm going to have to ask him what this is about. I don't get the connection between the police, an airsoft rifle, him leaving his house (!?) and a pool party. The news article is not about him.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture