homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Spelling (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Spelling
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 04:13      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As many un-named people here seem to be spelling nazis. Here is a quick quiz to test your abilities.

Quiz me!

I only got six out of ten, and this only becuase of my knowledge of latin roots.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 05:38      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
9/10, but it is an American quiz [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 06:23      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got 9/10 the first time through, but then wanted to see the worst result. It took me three tries to get that, however, because I kept choosing a right answer by accident.

You got 0 out of 10 correct on your first attempt and earned one piece of the honeycomb.

Not bad, but you're still a larva compared to fellow wordsmiths.

Not bad?!? [crazy]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 06:23      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
9/10, but that's meaningless. Just because I can correctly identify the spelling of the words doesn't mean I can actually spell them.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 06:27      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You got 10 out of 10 correct on your first attempt."

I agree with quantumfluff though, this is meaningless. While I have been something of a spelling nut since I was 8, most of these words I would not have spelled correctly in true spelling bee fashion. I just happen to be really good at recognizing incorrectly spelled words. [Razz]

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 06:28      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
9/10, but that's meaningless. Just because I can correctly identify the spelling of the words doesn't mean I can actually spell them.

I agree that is a good point. I only scored as well as I did from recognition. Pretty pathetic.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 06:30      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
8/10. But it just goes to prove quantumfluff's theory of working it out - I'm almost dyslexic in my ability to spell!
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 06:30      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
10/10 [Razz] Seig heil!
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 06:58      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um. I think the test is broken. They all said, "Great!" or, "Yes!"

And then said I got 6 out of 10.

Interesting.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 10:06      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
9/10 Foiled on the last one!

--------------------
"And we will call it... This Land..."

Posts: 901 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 10:09            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first word to me was easy, I know it. The second... is a word I've never heard of. And I don't know their pronunciation system (at the top) or US word styles.

But then, if I don't know how to spell a word, I don't bloody use it :P If I want to use a fancy word (such as heretofore) and am not even sure it means what I think it does, I'll consult a dictionary instead of ending up saying something really dumb. And with the ability to look up any word with ^T (new tab), "d word", Enter, there's no excuse to make really stupid mistakes. Typos however are another matter, and depend on how much I'm concentrating, it seems. (Ditto my tendency to omit semi-colons and commas where needed!)

Being tested on whether I know words I've never heard of and would never use seems a bit weird.

IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 10:53      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
10/10 [Razz] Seig heil!

/me throws the goat. That makes two of us! I was a spelling bee brat when I was a child, though, so I s'pose I've got an unfair advantage.
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 11:49      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:

agreed. I can't spell, at all. 6/10
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 11:52      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
10/10.

I have no excuses for this.

uilleann: clearly you have never experienced the joy that is the GRE.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 12:12      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
7/10 - If only I had an american accent.. [shake head]
Tirthas the Geek
Mini Geek
Member # 2864

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 14:00      Profile for Tirthas the Geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You got 10 out of 10 correct on your first attempt.

Congratulations! Your knowledge of words has earned you the crown of the queen bee and all three pieces of the honeycomb!

I have a Latin language background, as well, and that definitely contributed. I can certainly admit that I wouldn't have been able to spell them sans options.

Now what should I do with all three pieces of that honeycomb. <rubbing hands deviously>

--------------------
I already used my best sig on Slashdot.

Posts: 92 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 14:07            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine: Clearly it's one outstanding joy of human life that I am better off having not experienced! I suppose there is a sting in the tail of spelling bees...
IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 14:34      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooh, I like the word "antediluvian"

You keep me lit like antediluvian Troy,
But one always reveres what one is bound to destroy!

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 15:00      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
9/10. I also missed the last word. And I also agree this is meaningless, because most of these were obvious to pick out, if not spell.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 15:06      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
uilleann: clearly you have never experienced the joy that is the GRE.

*Shudders*
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 18:20      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, the GRE was FUN!!! I wish it were longer. Or not so expensive so I could take it again for (even more) fun.

EDIT: I took the spelling quiz. All of them were words I had seen before, with the exception of the 10th word. I deliberated between b and c and chose incorrectly. I knew it was a Latin root, so I went with the Roman tendency to use Is instead of Es when assimilated into English. [Frown]

/me hangs her head in shame

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 19:21      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiderman:
I just happen to be really good at recognizing incorrectly spelled words.

10/10 here, too, for the same reason. I would have bombed if I had to stand up on a stage and think of the spelling myself for some of these.

Off-topic edit: Hey, my 100th post -- that's almost 3 per month since I registered! (Didn't think I was that talkative...)

Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 21:06      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:

EDIT: I took the spelling quiz. All of them were words I had seen before, with the exception of the 10th word. I deliberated between b and c and chose incorrectly. I knew it was a Latin root, so I went with the Roman tendency to use Is instead of Es when assimilated into English. [Frown]

/me hangs her head in shame

I used the force. Try it. It works. [Wink]

Seriously though, even though my posts tend to be riddled with typos I'm pretty good at spelling. I just don't care as much as some of you.

Unless I'm trying to make a point. Then I clean things up so the grammar nazis will actually pay attention to what I'm saying.

Edit: the definitions seemed to help me far more than the pronounciation.

Edit again: where the hell did you see the ninth word before??

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 21:22      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ninth word... was that autochthonous? That was the winning word from 2003 or 2004, I forget which. I tend to follow the bees since I was five people away from competing in the National Bee when I was in eighth grade. I wanted to go to the National Bee so badly, but "sybaritic" knocked me out since I had never heard of it before. If I had had my wits about me, I would've made the connection between "sybilant" and "sybaritic," but instead I spelled it "sibaritic."

Oh well. It makes for a good story to tell my grandkids! [Smile]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 21:45      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Uilleann on this one, a spelling contest full of words most people have never heard of seems pretty pointless to me.
It would seem far more useful to ensure that competitors can spell common words properly, like 'colour' for example [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture