homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Intelligent Design or Darwin? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Intelligent Design or Darwin?
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 03, 2006 18:16      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
As far as laws against homosexuals go, Demo, you are aware that the anti-sodomy laws found in many states, counties, and cities were there before your parents were born, right?
She is aware of them -- I'd gather, but she points to recent legislation as well.

Do you really think they were targeted at straight people?
<tone accent="southern-drawl" style="sarcastic">
Yes, by and large. In fact a lot of sodomy laws were passed in "the bible belt" to prevent "sex for enjoyment", because the only reason for sex is OBVIOUSLY procreation... Sure, there were a number of them to stop other "cazies" from enjoying them selves, too. But by and large, we want to make sure that our gals don't go enjoying their womanly duties.</tone>

I find it odd that there are a so many laws that are just not enforced anymore, but no one takes them off the books. There are a lot of just plain silly laws that are still on the books. A lot of old, outdated, nolonger enforced or plain stupid state laws need to repealed at all levels.

I like the way Dan Savage puts it:
quote:
John Paul II had more "no's" for straight people than he did for gays. But when he tried to meddle in the private lives of straights, the same people who deferred to his delicate sensibilities where my rights were concerned suddenly blew [him] off. Gay blowjobs are expendable, it seems; straight ones are sacred.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2006 10:25      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
quote:
But I'm still convinced that the guy who consented to be eaten, and the other guys who consented to be castrated, were complete mental cases.
Sounds like severe cases of body dysmorphic disorder.
Or voraphilia and a medical fetish, respectively. These are rather common fetishes; not everybody acts on it.

I know that it's easy to paint fetishists and kinksters with broad strokes as nutjobs (no pun intended), but there's more to it than debauchery...the German guy was, by all records, an extreme fetishist. Imagine the desperation of knowing what you need to be sexually or otherwise satisfied, and knowing it'll kill you. I've always counted myself lucky in that my kinks aren't that serious, but they still put me at bodily risk. In acting on our unusual sexual proclivities, we know the risks, and personally weight them against our own safety.

(Yes, there are psychos in every scene; I've met a fair amount of the Boston-area crazies, but the way kinky folks are represented in the media...well, it's like that one Trekkie who went to the Whitewater trial in Federation uniform. It paints us in a terrible light.)

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2006 13:42      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several points have been made here about an individual's ability, or otherwise, to give valid and responsible consent for a particular scenario to take place. These are important considerations in any situation where one party might have been exploited by another.

However, I believe that there is another factor clouding the judgement of those people who do not accept that people such as the castration fetishists are capable of giving real valid consent. Perhaps it is an inability on their part to conceive of giving their own consent to such behaviour that causes them to deny that the fetishist's consent could be valid.

From my own point of view, I enjoy a little slap & tickle as much as the next man, but the castration thing does nothing for me. Having said that, if it floats your boat who am I to deny you your jollies?

On this side of the 'Pond' we were always told that part of the American Dream is the freedom to "Be who you want to be". Has something changed?

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2006 15:35      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
On this side of the 'Pond' we were always told that part of the American Dream is the freedom to "Be who you want to be". Has something changed?

It's always been "Be who you want to be", with the unspoken bit being, "as long as you restrict yourself to the social norms". Just like everywhere else.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture