homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » I hate neighbours!!! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I hate neighbours!!!
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted March 23, 2006 15:50      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
friggin frackin frack!

Our neighbour has the world's loudest truck... no muffler. And every now and then he starts it at 6:30 in the morning. Revs the heck out of it. VROOOM VROOOOM VRROOOOMMMM!!!

Sometimes he leaves it running for like 20 minutes, then just shuts it off.... doesn't even drive away.

So yeah, I'm sleep deprived. [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [tired]

P.S. neighbour, if you're reading this, please don't slash our tires.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 15:56      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aw man! I thought out where you are it was supposed to be blissfully peaceful. Didn't he read the contract? [Mad]

Perhaps loud LAN parties till 4am will keep him quieter at 6. [evil]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 16:30      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy________________Isn't it a kick in the slats to have a neighbor like that. Now I am in now way suggestioning that you do this but sugar in the gas really does not work, fuel oil will make it run funny with little power and hard starting, and there are agents that will make lube oil gel thereby negating its abilty to lubricate.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 17:27      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bit of bleach in the gas tank will work wonders on that loud engine of his - confirmed by the Mythbusters and yours truly [evil]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 17:38      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
friggin frackin frack!

Somebody's been watching a little too much BSG. If there is such a thing, that is. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 18:28      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My neighbours are pretty nice, but the old man cuts marble for tiling, I think. So he has his nice stone cutting saw, which he sometimes likes to fire up at around 7 or 7:30 in the morning, often on weekends, and I'm not a morning person so it really shits me off.

He also repainted his daughter's car, not very well I might add. So we often get the compressor and air gun going as well as he touches up the paint job on the car.

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 18:32      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have a fireplace? A chainsaw? Is there any possibility you might run out of wood at 2am some morning and just happen to have some logs that are a tad too large stored on the part of your lot that's closest to his bedroom window?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 19:06      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about being proactive? Bake a batch of cookies or make a good pie and go visit your neighbors. Make some smalltalk while you give them the baked goods, during which conversation casually mention the loud truck in the early mornings. Find out if there are extraneous circumstances and/or gently suggest that the truck is louder than they might realize. You could also recommend a good place to buy an inexpensive muffler.

Failing that, burn them in effigy.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
cheryl
Mini Geek
Member # 4566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2006 01:12      Profile for cheryl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My neighbours have either way too much spare time or way to many paintings because they are constantly hammering nails into the walls. And my other neighbours enjoy having loud parties till the early hours of the morning.

--------------------
dont bother running, you'll only die tired!

Posts: 65 | From: 3rd planet from the sun | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2006 03:09      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy --

play it cool, nice and friendly as Rhonwyyn suggested.
If it fails, an Accuracy International sniper rifle chambered in .338 Lapua.
Aim at the engine block, or the tires (depends on your personal preference) and pull the trigger.
Tada- problem solved.

Thomas

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2006 04:56      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom- geeking around:
Snaggy --

Aim at the engine block, or the tires (depends on your personal preference) and pull the trigger.
Tada- problem solved.

Thomas

Be sure that the shot placement doesn't give away your general location/direction of fire.
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2006 05:02      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just stick a potatoe in the exhaust manifold

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2006 06:15      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by Tom- geeking around:
Snaggy --

Tada- problem solved.

Thomas

Be sure that the shot placement doesn't give away your general location/direction of fire.
<someone who knows nothing about guns>
Link it up to a computerized armature, and fire upward, resulting in a shot directly pointing down? I don't know how much force there'd be going down...but with any luck it'd be enough.
</someone...>

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2006 07:10      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by canadiangeek:
just stick a potatoe in the exhaust manifold

Is that you, Mr Quayle?
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2006 07:31      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tampoons in the gas tank...
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2006 07:42      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SO if we are all going to suggest wrong illegal actions I suggest to make the illegal action simple. STEAL THE TRUCK. I don't even think you would need to know how to hot wire a car. Wake up at four one morning, pull your car behind his. Tie them together. (Here is the important part. ) break open a window and put the car in nuetral. Drive to some distant body of water and push the truck in. Simplest solutions are always the best solutions.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2006 15:55      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I like the gun idea, my personal favorite:

Thermite on the engine.

Will melt right through, at 3000 degrees F.

(if you have no clue what this is, Wiki it, but you didnt hear it from me *evil look*)

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2006 19:41      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
I don't know how much force there'd be going down...but with any luck it'd be enough.
</someone...>

Simple physics. The kinetic energy is a function of the mass of the projectile and the velocity. We can ignore the mass, since it doesn't change when you fire straight up. And the velocity of any projectile when it hits the ground is the same as the velocity when it is fired (ignoring air resistance). So you'd lose a bit of energy due to air resistance, but probably not too much.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2006 19:56      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Luke Skywalker:
Thermite on the engine.

Or if you're in Oz, marmite or vegemite...

/coat

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2006 20:08      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
quote:
I don't know how much force there'd be going down...but with any luck it'd be enough.
</someone...>

Simple physics. The kinetic energy is a function of the mass of the projectile and the velocity. We can ignore the mass, since it doesn't change when you fire straight up. And the velocity of any projectile when it hits the ground is the same as the velocity when it is fired (ignoring air resistance). So you'd lose a bit of energy due to air resistance, but probably not too much.
With high-velocity projectiles, the air resistance would probably be a major factor, but what the hey, let's just run with it and see what we get...

A quick google for sniper rifle muzzle velocity produced a figure of 854 m/s for M82A2. Ignoring air friction, the projectile would reach a height of about 37 km, 87 seconds after you fired the shot. It would take another 87 seconds to fall to its target. With a bit of careful management, you could be standing at your victims front door when the shot hit, providing yourself with a pretty good alibi.

Of course, accuracy could be a bit of a problem, what with the 74 km round trip and all...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2006 21:28      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
quote:
</someone...>

With high-velocity projectiles, the air resistance would probably be a major factor, but what the hey, let's just run with it and see what we get...

A quick google for sniper rifle muzzle velocity produced a figure of 854 m/s for M82A2. Ignoring air friction, the projectile would reach a height of about 37 km, 87 seconds after you fired the shot. It would take another 87 seconds to fall to its target. With a bit of careful management, you could be standing at your victims front door when the shot hit, providing yourself with a pretty good alibi.

Of course, accuracy could be a bit of a problem, what with the 74 km round trip and all...

Woo-hoo! Thanks, TFD! I've come to hate physics -- I already knew the answer magefile gave, more or less, but there was no way I was going to work on the compuations.

Now then, regarding accuracy - what about a Beowulf cluster of rifles?

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2006 21:55      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grrrrr ! My neighbor does landscape, so he is very keep on keeping his lawn in shape.
It was terrible when my bedroom was right beside the front of his house.... In the middle of the nigth he would decide to trim the bushes. All I would hear is :CHAINSAW: right outside my window while Jason flashes through my mind,(Fri 13th) and I just about have a freaking heart attack !

It was also bad when I was younger and his sons would stay up quite late with all of their friends playing basketball.

Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2006 21:57      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keen *^ ... before anyone else corrects me.
Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted March 24, 2006 22:10      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
quote:
</someone...>

Woo-hoo! Thanks, TFD! I've come to hate physics -- I already knew the answer magefile gave, more or less, but there was no way I was going to work on the compuations.

Now then, regarding accuracy - what about a Beowulf cluster of rifles?

Accuracy is simple. Just find the distance the round would travel before it reaches its' maximum height then double that and invert and use the distance knob on the weapons sights to compensate. Find the nomenclature of the weapon and find the average arc at that distance and cut it in half. that is how far the weapon will need to be from the target.
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2006 22:46      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget to cordon off the area so no stray birds, airplanes, or satellites intercept the bullet on its way up or down.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture