homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Moronic banner ads (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Moronic banner ads
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 2 posted March 14, 2006 17:08      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Click on the image below to see what I'm talking about. Can't those idiots at least learn how to spell? It's already bad enough that we have to deal with a picture of some moron with a mouth full of cubic zirconia.

-

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2006 17:22      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I've been wanting to complain about that ad, too! It's not just here that I've seen it. [Frown]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2006 17:24      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee, that's funny. I don't see any banner ads at the top of my GC pages. :-P

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2006 20:06      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they're being caught by FlashBlock.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2006 21:26      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel old, I have no clue as to who the person is in the photo [blush]
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2006 21:31      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ehh, don't feel bad, Bibo! I'm only 25 and I have no idea who it is either!

--------------------

supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2006 21:40      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always wondered what people do with teeth like that.

I mean, is there a special kind of mouthwash for that? Do you have to go to the jeweler to get your teeth cleaned?

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2006 22:07      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What. The. Fsck?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2006 22:16      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supergoo:

I mean, is there a special kind of mouthwash for that? Do you have to go to the jeweler to get your teeth cleaned?

Maybe it's actually a nightguard or retainer, that way it can be removed and he doesn't have to run the risk of swallowing the shiny stuff if it breaks off in his mouth. Boy, I'd hate to be the person who'd have the job of sifting through his solid waste to find that $$$ piece of bling.

--------------------

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 14, 2006 22:32      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supergoo:

I would hope they're temporary. Like dentures or whatever. Otherwise ... ew.

EDIT: No, never mind. It's "ew" regardless.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2006 23:25      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off, the banner ads help pay for this place and IIRC, S and N graciously stopped the popups after the ranks started bitching. Like Google ads, I don't even see banner ads, I'm aware something is flickering off in the edges off the screen but choose to pay no notice.

Second, the banner ad in question shows a dude sporting 'grills'. They used to be primarily seen in Hip hop culture since way back in the 80's when they were referred to as 'Krunk' but they ain't just a 'G thang' anymore, they've gone mainstream. Remember the first time you saw someone with a piercing that wasn't in his or her ear? Or a 'girl' with a tattoo? GAAAAAHH!!! The sky didn't fall. Body modification (permanent or otherwise) is here to stay. Some think it is cool, some are repulsed, some think it is cool because they know others are repulsed.

Grills are custom made from (teeth) impressions taken by an artist who makes the Grills with precious metals and gemstones, and yes, like a retainer they pop right out for cleaning or eating.

Now, where my pimp cup at beyotch? Fo' shizzel.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2006 01:43      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For anyone trying to work out whose grills they are, I'm guessing it is Paul Wall.

But only because there are some blue stones that spell out PW. Yeah baby, totally mack.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2006 05:45      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smile fo' me daddy...

</sad_reference_to_pop_culture>

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2006 08:59      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While that song you referred to is utter shite there is tons of good hip hop/urban/rap. This (these) genres are the new rock and roll and are out selling the music (style) of my generation. I came of age in the early 80’s when punk was all but dead and Heavy Metal was emerging, even then though you could see the early beginnings of Hip Hop with NWA, The SugarHill Gang The Beastie Boys and Run DMC to name a few. Growing up in conservative rural Nova Scotia High school in the 80s for me was all about music and girls, ( Oh, and weed and booze too!) and while I had hair to my waist and looked like a rocker I didn’t limit my musical tastes to a single genre. I was the only kid I knew who listened to Elvis, The Sex Pistols, Sabbath, Willie Nelson and Grand Master Flash (and the furious five) all in one sitting. The biggest benefit of all of this was that I wasn’t limited to dating girls who fell into a single clique, and back then AIDS wasn’t an issue and riding bareback was cool.

Even today at 40 I’m like that. Friends will stop by and when I answer the door something like Snoop will be blaring in the back ground

quote:

Guess who’s backing in the mutha fuckin’ howse
With a fat dick for yo’ mutha fuckin’ mouth

The look on their face is priceless.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2006 09:13      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:

Even today at 40 I’m like that. Friends will stop by and when I answer the door something like Snoop will be blaring in the back ground

Not worried about aids, and nailing random chicks bareback? [Wink]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2006 15:11      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey be fair he said "back then"

And yeah I am of the same age bracket and musical persuasion as Vic... that is 40 something and "Ozzy is our leader..." but other music can be cool too

Before AIDS was a big deal one night bareback deals were "the business" (like I would actually know... I never got any of that action though not for lack of trying [Big Grin] )

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2006 17:40      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:

Before AIDS was a big deal one night bareback deals were "the business" (like I would actually know... I never got any of that action though not for lack of trying [Big Grin] )

<cynicism>
And thanks to guys like Vic, we have more than 40 STDs floating around these days (up from just three a few decades ago).
</cynicism>

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 15, 2006 18:00      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:

<cynicism>
And thanks to guys like Vic, we have more than 40 STDs floating around these days (up from just three a few decades ago).
</cynicism>

.... oh dear.
cheryl
Mini Geek
Member # 4566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 01:08      Profile for cheryl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why do they still advetise that way? its not like anyone with a couple of brain cells actually takes notice of them and buys the product or whatever.
The ones i hate are the ones with the win an i-pod by shooting the target.. GGGRRRR i hate them things [Mad]

--------------------
dont bother running, you'll only die tired!

Posts: 65 | From: 3rd planet from the sun | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 06:42      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate the ones that make noise.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 09:11      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

WADR, I wasn't fucking myself (ok, sometimes I was) it takes 2 to tango so don't single out the guys.

And regards to 'people' being responsible for STDs that is just stupid. *gazes around room for Xanth* Humans spread diseases, genetic mutations create them. Now depending on your beliefs you could say God punishes the eeeeeeeeevil or Darwinism is culling the herd. Either way, I escaped the debauchery healthy and with all my bits.

Also, there were waaaay more than 3 STDs 'a few decades ago' and for the record I never picked up anything. For me the worst case would scenarior would have had me debating if I should chew my own arm of to escape in the morning.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 10:26      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Now depending on your beliefs you could say God punishes the eeeeeeeeevil or Darwinism is culling the herd.

Yea, cus that's a valid argument for them to make. [Roll Eyes]

I guess those people who get infected blood transfusions to save their lives, and contract HIV are just casualties of war, right?

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 12:09      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the subject of STDs and prophylaxis, let's not forget that it is normal for times to change and for society to accept that what was once considered ok is now seen as stupid.

For example: when I was small child, the government told everyone to wear a seat belt when in a car; nobody listened and so we had to make it compulsory. Nowadays everyone accepts that it is stupid not to wear a seat belt.

There was a time when unprotected sex was not seen as selfish or dangerous - just normal. Maybe we should just accept that we have moved on from those days and be grateful that we have.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 12:21      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

WADR, I wasn't fucking myself (ok, sometimes I was) it takes 2 to tango so don't single out the guys.

And regards to 'people' being responsible for STDs that is just stupid. *gazes around room for Xanth* Humans spread diseases, genetic mutations create them. Now depending on your beliefs you could say God punishes the eeeeeeeeevil or Darwinism is culling the herd. Either way, I escaped the debauchery healthy and with all my bits.

Also, there were waaaay more than 3 STDs 'a few decades ago' and for the record I never picked up anything. For me the worst case would scenarior would have had me debating if I should chew my own arm of to escape in the morning.

Coyote ugly? [Razz]

Sorry. I was going to reply last night but was just too frickin' tired to give a bio lesson.

Exactly where diseases come from is a bit of mystery - exactly what triggers a bug to go pathogenic or get really virulent? However, the way they spread is pretty obvious in this day and age of germ theory. I looked around a little bit for some sort of indication about STD rates and emergence and wasn't finding much hard reliable data. Syphilis (the English or French pox, depending on which side of the channel you prefer) and gonnorhea (the clap) have been with us for a long long time. However, this doesn't mean that the other STDs we know about today weren't existant. It just means they may not have been recognized for what they were. Herpes viruses have plagued us for ages (chickenpox anyone? how about fever blisters?) so I'd be willing to guess that genital herpes is not new either. It gets more press than it used to. Same with warts. Those have been around forever.

So what's with the rise? Better diagnostic techniques might be involved. Better public health records are probably involved as well. And some disease that weren't so prevalent before might be creeping up more and more often. Why? Well, promiscuity does enhance the spread of STDs. More promiscuity = more outbreaks. You can't get around that. However, it is just plain wrong to suggest that promiscuity brought the diseases into being. They were there. Women are actually the worst in terms of spreading STDs. For whatever reason, we don't get symptomatic like the guys do. This is especially true for gonnorhea and chlamydia. Women can carry those around for years, their fertility silently being destroyed, and not even know because there's nothing overtly wrong

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2006 15:19      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you will find that the STD's have on the whole (AIDS being the exception here) been extant for several hundred years...

Rises in STD rates can mostly be attributed to:-
1) Better detection
2) people being made aware of and encouraged to seek treatment for the said infections
3) "More Promiscuity" - errr give me a break.... mediaeval history is kind of my hobby subject... people sleep around now and did then - and sorry but rates don't appear to change much - we just admit to it more now... Cassanova or Pepys anyone...??? People are the same now as they were 50 years ago or 500 - sex makes people crazy and they did all the same things we do now then (affairs, sharing, whatever... though they might not have been so open about it...)
4) there were times when the pox and the clap were pretty much endemic in western europe... are you telling me that is the case now?
5) AIDS sort of put a bit of a damper on the supposed sexual free for all of the 60s-70s at least for those of Vic and my generation, doesn't seem to bother most of the 18-25 year olds of today though... so are they to blame or just doing what 18 to 118 year olds have done since time began?

Just my 2c and feel free to "flame on" and just for the record I have had 3 long time sexual partners in my life and no short/one night ones (and don't think that makes me a saint... it just happened that way. I never really made it that way - well OK, I did turn down the occasional offer - hetro and homo, but that was just common sense to me, not some heroic struggle with my libido [Smile] )

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture