homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » There is something rotten in the state of Western Australia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: There is something rotten in the state of Western Australia
Elvermere
Geek
Member # 2456

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted March 08, 2006 23:22      Profile for Elvermere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ISPs and the internet in WA

Firstly a bit of background.
My wife and I have just moved from our own house into a rental. This is because demolition has just begun on our existing house, soon to be followed by the erection (down boy, down) of our new family house.

Needless to say that along with the gas, electricity and phone we also wanted to transfer our ADSL connection. You would think that this would be as easy and comparible in price to the other services. BUT NOOOOOOOOOOO!

My ISP (Westnet) were happy to move me. It was going to cost $50 for a break of contract fee and then $99 to move my connection to the new premises.

Now $99 is a little steep, but is the cost that Telstra charges to connect a new ADSL line. So I can understand this. However WTF was the $50 for a break of contract?

As I was on a plan for a year and am moving before the end of it I am breaking my contract. Nevermind that I WANT to stay with Westnet and that I am not even considering moving to another ISP and that I see it as a change of address and not another connection. NO! They want to hit me for the $50 DESPITE staying with them. And then $99 for a new connection (and then another $99 when I move back to my new home).

Needless to say I was a bit peeved (miffed if you prefer) about this. So I called and demanded a better deal. They declined. I informed them that by charging me the $50 they were in essence telling me that I should look at other deals for my broadband (I believe my actual words were, "So no matter what I do, I must pay the $50. So in essence you are telling me to pay $50 and then look for the best ISP deal which is most likely not going to be yours"). But they didn't listen.

So I contact Optus (our telephone provider) and said could they please hook me up to ADSL (they were the best deal by a long way). No problems they said and proceeded to connect me up. The following day I received a call that said that they were sorry but I couldn't get ADSL because the "signal attenuation was too great".

<ASIDE>
For those of you who aren't in Australia, most ISPs rent ports on Telstra's DSLAM as it eliminates the need for them to install their own equipment.

Optus onsells the Telstra DSLAMs
</ASIDE>

Needless to say I was a little more miffed about this as pretty much every ISP was going to say the same thing.

The exception was iiNet, who have their own equipment (and it is ADSL2 as well). So I rang them and discussed my needs. They assured me that they could provide ADSL and signed me up. While signing up I explained my previous problem, which was basically I was too far from the exchange. I was put on hold for 5 minutes while they checked my line. After this they assured me that ADSL was not a problem at my house.

So I signed up.

10 days later I hadn't received my modem or any paperwork from them, so I rang them.

They were happy to inform me that a second set of tests showed that the signal attenuation was too great and they hadn't charged me for the privilige.

So I'm stuck in this house with dialup. Me, an IT professional and a wife who needs a fast internet connection so she can work from home.

And in case you wondering if I'm away from a regional centre, NO! I'm in suburban Perth (Yangebup for those google map freaks).

So to wind my rant up I'll leave you with some points.

1) Why the hell can't I get broadband in suburban Perth. No frigging excuses, it's just wrong.
2) Why can't I get a straight answer out of an ISP about whether I can connect to their DSLAM.
3) Why the hell does an ISP prefer to get $50 over retaining a loyal customer!

Feel free to flame Telstra. Its pretty standard over here!

--------------------
Duct Tape is like the force.
It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Posts: 113 | From: Perth, West AU | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2006 23:52      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you looked into getting Cable internet via Optus?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2006 06:30      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would refuse the $50 fee. I've refused such nonsense fees in the past. Never paid them, never gave in, and never went back to those companies afterwards.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2006 12:50      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I have to say, greedy bastards....

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted March 09, 2006 15:51      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Optus are idiots too.

We have cable internet with them. We moved across the street to house sit for/rent cheaply from friends for a year while they are overseas. Their modem randomly died when we plugged it in (they had Optus cable as well and wanted to keep the account going to save their email addresses-- we had arranged to use their internet and pay their bill). Optus would not allow us to plug in our perfectly good modem and switch the mac address on the account. No, they told us they could only send a service technician out to *make sure it got plugged in right* and charge us 90 bux. Phhhhht. Or we could buy a new modem and they'd only charge us $80. We ended up going with the new modem option because our friends needed the new modem anyway for when they got back.

Dirtbags. What a racket. Telecomms in Australia seems to be really overvalued.

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2006 06:55      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many companies here (ie Rogers) insist on sending out technicians for issues like that too -- what's funny, is they don't charge you -- and what's even funnier, is even if you did fry the hardware, it'd cost them about $60 to replace. Rolling a truck costs a MINIMUM of $100.

Some companies just don't think.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2006 08:55      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And here I thought this was going to be an interesting topic. Something about Alanah's new piles, or that steel shed of a Convention Centre, or the world's slowest train line construction. [evil]

I have Bigpond Cable and I generally don't have too many complaints, except for the 15c/MB charge when you go over the usage limit. Don't get me wrong, Telstra is led by a bunch of wankers, but with the ok speed, and the discount of having everything with them, for us they are the lesser evil. [weep]

Despite what ARJ says, Optus Cable might be the way to go.

To be fair, Yangebup is kinda on the outer. Maybe you'll just have to wait until Telstra builds a new exchange with all the development around Atwell, etc. Then again, that could just be my western suburbs bias. [Razz]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2006 14:26      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find it highly strange that you cant get DSL where you are. Ive never had troubles getting connected and im in a bitty little regional area. Says a lot for the phone company when you can get 1.5Mbps DSL in a bitty little city like Launceston, but cant in a major capital like Perth. [shake head]

I belive wanker is the only appropriate word for use when refering to telstra.

Posts: 153 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2006 06:44      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________Aw quit your whinning I have never been able to get Highspeed of any kind. Where I did live I was about three miles from the main switch (as the crow flies) however the wire only crosses the river at two points, total wire run nine miles, slight attenuation prob. Cable HA they can't even get analog TV right the digital signal was out more than the TV, Cancel that. Where we live now is so far removed that it took four months to get Electricity into here and nine weeks for phone. Now there are two sources of high speed a WiFi max broadcaster for Sixty dollars a month and or a Dish Satalite for the same cost, is it worth it, right now on a pensioners income I don't think so.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Elvermere
Geek
Member # 2456

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 11, 2006 18:59      Profile for Elvermere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the love and support guys ;-)

Yes, I've looked at the other options but am extremely hampered by the fact that Optus Cable doesn't run over here (actually, I don't think it was run to the houses South of the River).

I am apparently able to get Telstra Cable, but am unsure if I can take this up without buying a new modem, signing up with the devil (Telstra, prick finger here), running Cat-5 through 3 rooms from the foxtel point to my computer.

Basically it's all too hard for something that should be so easy.

Makes me want to get in my new house ASAP though.

--------------------
Duct Tape is like the force.
It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Posts: 113 | From: Perth, West AU | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan!
Geek
Member # 1261

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2006 22:56      Profile for Alan!     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yangebup != Perth

I suppose if Telstra says the line is too far away, no ISP can help you, otherwise i would recommend Amnet.

You could always move into an exchange [Wink]

--------------------
Alan!

Two rabbis, a priest, and an awkward silence after there's no intelligible punch line to this joke, walk into a bar.

Posts: 219 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2006 02:12      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like I wasted my time trying to be subtle with the location problems. [evil]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 12, 2006 22:48      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about wireless, Elvermere? I reckon that a wireless card is cheaper than a new modem...

Though I notice that a lot of the new wireless providers coming out don't seem to cover the west coast. [ohwell]

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture