homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Spammers ruin it for everyone (mild cursing)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spammers ruin it for everyone (mild cursing)
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2006 21:30      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
grumble-grumble-ought-to-be-probed-with-a-cattle-prod-grumble-mumble

Grr..

I browse the web. I browse the web a lot. I run into a lot of links that I pass along on a near daily basis to certain friends because they're:
a) interesting
b) funny
c) obscene
d) horrifying
e) evocative of goatse in some way
f) some combination of all of the above

Somehow I still have friends after inflicting all this stuff on them. I know. It boggles my mind too, but I try not to think about it too hard.

Unfortunately my ISP, however well intentioned they may be, has decided that they don't much like me sending those emails because they contain a of links to what some people might consider offensive web content and are being sent to a fairly long list of people. Borders on spam they say. Tasteless they say. Violates at least two bits in the terms of service I agreed to they say (and I'm totally busted on that point).

So no more emails.

Dammit.

But... blogspot is free and, so far as I can tell, posting this crap doesn't violate any terms of service. Even better, I can just point people to the blog and they can be as anonymous as they wish to be and I don't have to keep up with people asking to be added/removed from the list.

Disclaimer bits
The blog itself is just a linkdump which I intend to update it on a near daily basis, but otherwise put little to no effort into. The links are often not safe for work. The links also have no description whatsoever of what they are about much less whether or not they're work safe. If you don't understand what not safe for work (NSFW) means, you probably shouldn't be looking at anything I post.

I started it a few days ago and it seems to be working so far. Since I don't have to maintain an email list, I've decided to share. If anyone is goofy enough to want to see what sort of fruity perversions and insane stupidity I waste my time finding on the internet, the blog is the one with the slightly offensive name (NSFW, but that should be obvious at this point)

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2006 22:56      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you turn on the syndication feed in your blogspot prefs so's I can add it in to my daily fix of random crap? [Smile]

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2006 03:36      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I refer you back to exhbit 'A' where I said "little to no effort." [Big Grin]

Actually, it was turned on by default. I just didn't do anything really crazy like, y'know, putting a link to it anywhere on the page. [crazy]

At any rate, here you go. I even put a link on the page, although I didn't label it any more properly than anything else posted there.

Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2006 10:14            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What you need, Steen, is a GMail account. As far as I can tell, Google wouldn't care if you sent E-mails full of links to people.

I have a GMail account in addition to my regualr ISP account...it comes in really handy, especially since I forward my "official" EMinds E-mail address to it, too. Helps me catch all the spam that comes in via those addresses...

IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 09:21      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yer Gerbo is right, Gmail...

it also has XmailHardDrive which is a free tool that turns your Google mail account into a disk drive. Discover the joys of file-flinging!

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2006 14:49      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the linkdump blog is working nicely. I don't have to maintain lists of emails or anything else. I just post and whoever is silly enough to follow the links I post can go and look any time. It also provides archives of what I've posted for new people who haven't figured out that I put some fairly disgusting links in there. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture