homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Am I being unreasonable?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Am I being unreasonable?
dragon34
Geek
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted March 06, 2006 07:50      Profile for dragon34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<rant>

Is it unreasonable to expect that when you apply for a job that you either get called for an interview or get a rejection letter?

My fiancee applied for a job at the university that I work for. I asked around, and was told that the rejection letters had gone out. He did not get one, we assumed he had an interview. I found out *today* that the interviews are tomorrow, wednesday and thursday, and that my fiancee is not one of the interviewees. This kind of pisses me off. *alot* because one of the people on the search committee practically begged me to make sure my fiancee applied for this job (because he worked for them as a student and they *really* need the help. It's not even so much that he didn't get it, just the false hope. It would be nice if we could A.) afford a house. B.) Afford a wedding, C.) Afford to go on vacation sometime without getting more horrendously in debt than I already am to student loans. He has been unemployed or underemployed for the last 3 years and we don't exactly live in a bustling metropolis where job opportunities abound. He would have been *really* good at this job. He has the best work ethic of anyone I know including me, and can learn things ridiculously quickly, and remember them later even if he hasn't used them in 3 years. I don't know how I managed to find a job when he can't.
[Mad]

Also, why is it that potential employers never call references? He has alot of excellent references, who when he asked them, have *never* been called about any job he has ever applied for. Why do they even bother asking for them if they're not going to even bother to call!!!! [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

</rant>

/fuming

Posts: 146 | From: Central PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 07:58      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's only one é in fiancé if the person you're referring to is male.

[Wink]

Anyway, back to business.

No employer I've ever known has ever sent out rejection letters that I've known. I've sent my resume out hundreds of times in my day, and despite all those sendouts, I either got a call for an interview, or nothing. Well, I lied. I got a rejection letter um.. 3 times.

And I've also never known employers to check references until after interviews. If potential employers called all the references before they even called you for an interview, they'd never get off the phone!

Just my $.02 CAD.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted March 06, 2006 07:59      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may be totally off, but have you considered that they want to hire him, but being an university, they have to follow hiring rules. So they interview other candidates just to find a reason to tell them off and hire your fiancee instead. Or maybe that, knowing him, they didn't need to have him in the first interview pass, but they will call him for the second round? So try to cool off a bit until the process is complete and an announcement is done. Things are not always what they look to be.

Oh, and DNF is right about "fiancé." I still have hope for him to become completely bilingual, as every good canadian should be - according to some politicians, anyway. [evil] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 08:05      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I know, rejection letters are usually sent to those who were interviewed but did not end up getting hired.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 08:32      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've gotten many rejection letters from employers that I sent a resume to that basically said "thanks for your interest, we went with another candidate at this time. We will keep your resume on file...." I never had an interview them.

I've also never heard from many too.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 08:42      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of other points. The letter may have been mislabeled also.

Most educational institutions do send out letters. Usually a simple form say "Yeah we got your stuff, but we don't like you. You are too (insert lame excuse here). Thank you call again.

But nonetheless. You fiance may be overqualified also. I do know that budgetary concerns are number one in any business. Even the business of education. So he might be overqualified and they are afraid of having to pay his salary.

Or someone internally has tried for it. Which will always take precedence over an outsider. So just keep calm and wait. He may not have this position, but another one might be opening up.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragon34
Geek
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 08:58      Profile for dragon34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're probably right about fiancee vs. fiance I can never keep stuff like that straight [Smile]

Stereo: I wish! No, they would have brought him in for an interview if they planned to hire him. I guess they *could* fail the search and try again.. but I kind of doubt it.

As for the rejection letters, I was told they sent them out, so even if that's not normal procedure (which in my experience it isn't, although I think it *should* be to some extent) we were expecting to hear about an interview if he didn't get one. It's not like we're starving to death on just my salary, and If I didn't have tons of student loans we'd be pretty comfortable.

I guess I just tend to think that the hiring process in most organizations is fairly broken, and you get to the point where some people just get screwed. He happened to graduate at the wrong time, and because he took the risk to start his own business instead of going corporate right away, when the business failed (basically due to verizon being obnoxious and not supplying them the bandwidth they were contracted to supply, and he and his business partners not having the reserve cash to sue the bastards) His resume looks well, odd. He's jumped around alot, and had some jobs that haven't really emphasized his skills. It seems like most organizations aren't interested in the Jack of all Trades type, they want someone who has 5 years of experience in something or other, occasionally when something or other has only been available for 3. Cover letters help, but when the people who are reviewing the resumes don't understand technical lingo, or really what the job description asks for, he doesn't even get through the door. This was kind of our last hope as the people on the search committee know him personally and have worked with him, and as far as we were aware were satisfied with the level of his work. It's hard for me because he feels guilty that he doesn't bring in much in the way of cash (which really doesn't bother me) and he's frustrated because he's sick of being a house husband and doing mostly volunteer work and sporadic consulting jobs (which I can't blame him for) and after 3 years of looking and coming up short in the job department, he's pretty much given up. On some level I don't blame him for giving up, I probably would have done the same, I just hate to see him give up, because he's just so good at everything. (Yes I may be slightly biased, but I really don't think that much) He's trying out the teaching thing too, but its another 3 years before he can get a certificate if he takes classes part time :/

Thanks for letting me rant.. I was starting to feel like I was going to explode....

//wishes the school districts would call him to substitute more often then twice a month
//glad I have off tomorrow so I can calm down a bit. Doing tech support when you're fuming mad/ utterly disappointed == urge to wear "No, I will not fix your computer" shirts and hang up on people

Posts: 146 | From: Central PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 09:30      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never expect those letters; I just assume that if I don't get a call, I wasn't hired. The one time I did get a rejection letter, they actually hired me, strange as that sounds.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture