homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums


Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Being sick...

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Being sick...
Daniélín Aine
Mini Geek
Member # 4894

Member Rated:
5
Icon 8 posted February 28, 2006 22:03      Profile for Daniélín Aine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok... I just have to rant for a moment if you all don't mind.

I've been sick with a killer ear infection since Saturday. I went to Urgent Care, got four medications and spent the weekend in bed. I called in sick on Monday and today but I made sure to call my boss during the day and update him on what was going on. (Besides the inital call in that I wasn't going to be there.) I explained that I still was sick and that my regular doctor changed the medication to something more potent so I could get back to work sooner. Did I get a, "Thanks for calling!"? Or how about, "I hope you're feeling better."? No! I was just reminded that I needed a note from my doctor if I was still sick Wednesday and I want to come back to work.

Do most people who go through the extra effort to keep their boss informed not get an ounce of symphathy?!

Aarrrgggghhhh! *ahem* Thank you for letting me vent! [Smile]

--------------------
"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 96 | From: The resturant at the end of the universe | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued


Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 00:14            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check to see if your boss' hair comes to a point, Daniélín Aine, or a pair of points that look like horns, if you know what I mean.

Seriously, about the kindest words I can think of for your boss at the moment are "martinet butthead."

My own boss was quite understanding when I had to work from home three days a week for six weeks following my knee surgery. (My knee was in a rigid brace, making it impossible for me to sit behind the wheel of my car, and my wife, who had orthopedic issues of her own, was in too much pain to be able to drive me to work more than twice a week.)

IP: Logged
Daniélín Aine
Mini Geek
Member # 4894

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 03:34      Profile for Daniélín Aine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks! I think you're right... His hair must come to a point! I'm just frustrated because I'm doing everything I can to keep him informed. I could see if I was making it up but I much rather do the worst part of my job all week, than have this ear infection.

Can I have your boss instead? [Razz]

--------------------
"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 96 | From: The resturant at the end of the universe | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 05:32      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear you, DA. I'm going through an infection myself (one that's been recurring since September ... hopefully removing my tube on Monday will make things better).

I'm justifying myself to my school, and therefore my advisor, but I know exactly what you mean. I'm going to class, therefore I must be better; I'm at the grocery store, therefore I must be feeling fine; etc., etc. Just be glad your boss isn't offering to come with you to the doctor to make sure you're okay [Roll Eyes]

Feel better!

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Daniélín Aine
Mini Geek
Member # 4894

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 07:23      Profile for Daniélín Aine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
I hear you, DA. I'm going through an infection myself (one that's been recurring since September ... hopefully removing my tube on Monday will make things better).

Since September? [Frown] Ouch... you poor thing! I hope that you're feeling better soon. I don't think I could handle having a recurring ear infection that long.

I'm justifying myself to my school, and therefore my advisor, but I know exactly what you mean. I'm going to class, therefore I must be better; I'm at the grocery store, therefore I must be feeling fine; etc., etc. Just be glad your boss isn't offering to come with you to the doctor to make sure you're okay [Roll Eyes]

Thank God for small miracles. [Smile] I just wish he had a speck of sympathy.

Feel better!

Thanks... You, too! I hope the tube removal is uneventful and that you recover quickly.

--------------------
"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 96 | From: The resturant at the end of the universe | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 12:43      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniélín Aine:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by magefile:
[qb]Since September? [Frown] Ouch... you poor thing! I hope that you're feeling better soon. I don't think I could handle having a recurring ear infection that long.

Doesn't usually hurt - that's the advantage of having a hole in my ear drum that's way too large from repeated tubes and ruptures. The downside is that I can't wear my hearing aid in the ear in question about half the time. The upside is that my roommate isn't sure whether or not it's okay for him to complain when I ignore him [Razz]
Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Daniélín Aine
Mini Geek
Member # 4894

Member Rated:
5
Icon 8 posted March 01, 2006 19:03      Profile for Daniélín Aine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I went to my primary doctor today and she couldn't even see into my ear. Then, she looked in the other ear and said that she thought I was getting another infection. Great. So, she gave me stronger pain medication, more antibiotics and is sending me to a specialist tomorrow. I'm now up to 9 different medications to try to clear this up. She said the specialist will have to vacuum my ear out and then put a wick in. I was also told that I wouldn't be able to go back to work this week. (I'm sure that will make my boss happy.) On top of that, my throat is now bothering me and even mushy food like mac & cheese is too hard for me to eat. Well, I suppose it's a good way to go on a diet! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 96 | From: The resturant at the end of the universe | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 22:27      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eee gads, that sounds awful [Frown]

Terribly sorry about all of your pain and your jerk of a boss. Just take good care of yourself so that you can get better.

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
2
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 23:02      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sinuses been dripping out my nose and down my throat for a week - I had to wire in a network today (phones, computers, printers and install homemade software) It took longer because I was sweating and dizzy with nose infection. and when i got home at 11pm my beautiful wife was asleep. I was so pissed until she told me my dinner was in the fridge and it was sooo good! Now i'm self medicating with Maker's Mark.

Oh i was just gonna say always put warm olive oil in your ear (it is really amazing).

Don't pour bourbon in your ear - it is a waste of good liquor.

get better

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Daniélín Aine
Mini Geek
Member # 4894

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2006 02:14      Profile for Daniélín Aine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maia:
Eee gads, that sounds awful [Frown]

Terribly sorry about all of your pain and your jerk of a boss. Just take good care of yourself so that you can get better.

Thanks... The latest antibiotic seems to be working better than the previous one.

As for my boss... Let's just hope he's not too crabby when I call this morning.

--------------------
"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 96 | From: The resturant at the end of the universe | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Daniélín Aine
Mini Geek
Member # 4894

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2006 02:16      Profile for Daniélín Aine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chesty:
My sinuses been dripping out my nose and down my throat for a week - I had to wire in a network today (phones, computers, printers and install homemade software) It took longer because I was sweating and dizzy with nose infection. and when i got home at 11pm my beautiful wife was asleep. I was so pissed until she told me my dinner was in the fridge and it was sooo good! Now i'm self medicating with Maker's Mark.

Oh i was just gonna say always put warm olive oil in your ear (it is really amazing).

Don't pour bourbon in your ear - it is a waste of good liquor.

get better

I'd try the olive oil but my ear's too swollen for anything to go in it. Hopefully the ENT doc will open it up a bit.

I hope you feel better, too!

--------------------
"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 96 | From: The resturant at the end of the universe | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
canadiangeek
Geek
Member # 4946

Member Rated:
3
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2006 05:13      Profile for canadiangeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that doesn't sound plesant.

Hope you get better quickly.
magefile - hope your surgery goes well

and may everyone's boss remember what it was like to actually work.

--------------------
-whenever you build something that's idiotproof, someone comes out with a better idiot-

Posts: 161 | From: Nova Scotia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2006 05:47      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not actually surgery, which is a good thing, since there's a good chance my transportation will flake out on me and I'll have to walk/take the subway home. Normally they put you under for this kind of thing, but that's because most patients are young kids, and they don't want to risk a squirm at the wrong time.

DA, it sounds like you may have a drug-resistant infection.
A lot of doctors don't do this routinely, but I'd recommend that you ask your doctor to culture the drainage - have him use an open wound culture if that's all s/he's got. A lot of pseudomonas (and some of the other bacteria that commonly cause otitis media with effusion) are resistant to the amoxicillin, *floxacin (levo- and cipro- especially) and *mycin (clinda-, tobra-) that are the favorites for fighting ear infections.

As far as ear drops go, If you find that your ear is hypersensitive, (burning in the ear is no fun), there are a few that usually don't do that - my current favorite is Cortisporin; it contains hydrocortisone, which helps with the inflammation.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Daniélín Aine
Mini Geek
Member # 4894

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2006 06:55      Profile for Daniélín Aine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:

DA, it sounds like you may have a drug-resistant infection.
A lot of doctors don't do this routinely, but I'd recommend that you ask your doctor to culture the drainage - have him use an open wound culture if that's all s/he's got. A lot of psudeuomonas (and some of the other bacteria that commonly cause otitis media with effusion) are resistant to the amoxicillin, *floxacin (levo- and cipro- especially) and *mycin (clinda-, tobra-) that are the favorites for fighting ear infections.

As far as antibiotics go so far I've had: Neomycin & Polymyxin with Hydrocortisone, Ciprodex, Zithromax and now Levaquin. The Levaquin seems to be helping the most.

I will definately mention having the drainage cultured to see if they can find anything. (Thanks for the tip.)

I called my boss this morning to update him and he's implying that I'm going to lose my job over this. [Mad] After I'm done with the ENT doc today I'm going to go to HR and give them copies of all of the medical reciepts and doctors excuses. I'm also going to talk to them about being threatened to get fired because of an illness. I've called in everyday before my department even opens. I'll also go visit my boss and give him a copy of all of the paperwork as well. I know my employer has policies on extended illness and I'm sure that he can't get rid of me with all of the proper documentation. Believe me, if I was going to skip work for a week being sick isn't how I'd spend it. So, please say a prayer that the HR people actually follow the policies and don't let my boss fire me because I'm sick.

--------------------
"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 96 | From: The resturant at the end of the universe | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Daniélín Aine
Mini Geek
Member # 4894

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2006 06:58      Profile for Daniélín Aine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by canadiangeek:
and may everyone's boss remember what it was like to actually work.

Amen to that! [Applause]

--------------------
"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 96 | From: The resturant at the end of the universe | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2006 08:30      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check your e-mail, sweets.

quote:
Originally posted by Daniélín Aine:
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:

DA, it sounds like you may have a drug-resistant infection.
A lot of doctors don't do this routinely, but I'd recommend that you ask your doctor to culture the drainage - have him use an open wound culture if that's all s/he's got. A lot of psudeuomonas (and some of the other bacteria that commonly cause otitis media with effusion) are resistant to the amoxicillin, *floxacin (levo- and cipro- especially) and *mycin (clinda-, tobra-) that are the favorites for fighting ear infections.

As far as antibiotics go so far I've had: Neomycin & Polymyxin with Hydrocortisone, Ciprodex, Zithromax and now Levaquin. The Levaquin seems to be helping the most.

I will definately mention having the drainage cultured to see if they can find anything. (Thanks for the tip.)

I called my boss this morning to update him and he's implying that I'm going to lose my job over this. [Mad] After I'm done with the ENT doc today I'm going to go to HR and give them copies of all of the medical reciepts and doctors excuses. I'm also going to talk to them about being threatened to get fired because of an illness. I've called in everyday before my department even opens. I'll also go visit my boss and give him a copy of all of the paperwork as well. I know my employer has policies on extended illness and I'm sure that he can't get rid of me with all of the proper documentation. Believe me, if I was going to skip work for a week being sick isn't how I'd spend it. So, please say a prayer that the HR people actually follow the policies and don't let my boss fire me because I'm sick.

Your boss is an ass, and you've known it for a while. He is, however unfortunatly, still your boss... So, please be mindful of your tone when you are well enough to go in. He may not be able to fire you over illness, but he could purpsfully work you up and fire you for "talking back" or "insubordination." I really hope when he sees your documention he'll cool off a bit.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Daniélín Aine
Mini Geek
Member # 4894

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2006 08:48      Profile for Daniélín Aine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
Your boss is an ass, and you've known it for a while. He is, however unfortunatly, still your boss... So, please be mindful of your tone when you are well enough to go in. He may not be able to fire you over illness, but he could purposefully work you up and fire you for "talking back" or "insubordination." I really hope when he sees your documention he'll cool off a bit.

Raine said the same thing... I get worked up too easily and she reminded me to keep a level head when I have to go talk to him. She also suggested that when I go back to work that I should make a point of going in early as to not add any fuel to the fire.

P.S. Thanks for the card

--------------------
"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 96 | From: The resturant at the end of the universe | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged


All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture

Powered by Infopop Corporation
UBB.classicTM 6.4.0



homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam