homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » culture shock (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: culture shock
YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2006 05:39      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am just plain confused now. I thought an ad hominem argument for or against something meant it was an argument NOT using reason or logic, but personal feelings. Am I wrong?

Whether I am or not it doesnt really matter. From what CSK has said this debate has been here before and will be here again. And again. And again. Each thread full of generalizations, faulty logic and insults. From both the left and the right. I do think it is a shameful thing though that rhonnie felt she needed to apologize before saying she agreed with some posters that most here on GC do not. Whether she was right or wrong about it that is how she has been made to feel.

And I do owe an apology to Dragon34 for the "stick it" comment and I will edit that part of my post. The rest I do stand behind.

I apologize Dragon34 for saying such a rude thing to you.

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted March 07, 2006 10:31      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
March 06, 2006, 12:23
Hum... The 99% of people who follow it in a peaceful way, I'd say. Just as Christianism and Judaism.

March 06, 2006, 18:37
There are plenty of peaceful Muslims, just as there are plenty of peaceful Christians, and plenty of peaceful Jews.

(Currently) Peace Is Mostly the Result of Non-Religious Factors in Society

Using the 99% figures, if the "Peaceful" stats for Buddhist, Christian, Jew, Muslim, Wiccan, and Atheist are "the same" (+/- margin of error), then Religion is not a factor in Peace. (At least it's statistically irrelevant.) In which case, what are non-religious factors that "promote" peace?

1. Government Law Enforcement and Court System: Violent behavior, as with Vigilante activities, is "forcibly discouraged" by the state.

2. Decline of Superstition: Now, "nobody" believes that Witches conspire with Satan to bring suffering and death on the "good" people of the world.

3. Checks and Balances: Once "anything" holds "all" power, expect corruption and oppression. (ex. "Absolute power corrupts absolutely.") It applies to religious institutions just as people or political parties.

quote:
March 03, 2006, 16:41
I can be pretty sure that the Quran, like the Bible, must taken in context not only of the rest of the text, but the time period, culture, and circumstances of the writing.

Therefore, since "time," culture, and circumstances have changed, the "practices of the religion" must change. Following the literal texts is not change, and is inappropriate for a world which is "nothing like" the world that produced the original religious text.

quote:
March 06, 2006, 16:07
Umm, I'm not advocating that we preemptively lock up people.

I think most agree that it wouldn't change "the religion" in the desired direction.

Change Must Come from Within
quote:
Originally posted by ASM65816:
Governments do not rule people under the pretense of "God says, and you shall obey."

If the above change is made in the religion and government, then chances for peace get "a whole lot better." However, change must be made from "within."

An Observation on "Obedience":

I'm sure everyone can find a movie, book, or real-life event where someone is accused of heinous crimes, and his defense is "but I was following orders." Generally speaking, this defense by itself is completely invalid.

From the news: Feb 23, 2006 -- Insurgents detonated bombs inside one of Iraq's holiest Shiite shrines Wednesday, destroying its golden dome and triggering more than 90 reprisal attacks on Sunni mosques. The gleaming dome of the 1,200-year-old Askariya shrine was reduced to rubble.

If "someone" had been "disobedient," this probably would not have happened.

If the Quran can be "easily" used to incite Muslim to kill Muslim and to destroy ancient treasures, then Is the religion of Islam peaceful?

Unless someone "proves" otherwise, I stand by Buddhism as "the Peaceful Religion" (even though I'm not Buddhist).
quote:
Buddhist morality is underpinned by the principles of harmlessness and moderation. Mental training focuses on moral discipline (sila), meditative concentration (samadhi), and wisdom (praj˝?).

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2006 11:15      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like the Leafs arn't gonna make the play offs......maybe they are tanking the season to get a good draft pick.

I hear Bertuzzi may be going to Ottawa and Cujo may go back to Edmonton.

The Leafs would love to move Belfour but he comes with a contract for next year....the money bags in Ottawa may want him if Hasek can't come back

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2006 12:33      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
It looks like the Leafs arn't gonna make the play offs......maybe they are tanking the season to get a good draft pick.

The Leafs would love to move Belfour but he comes with a contract for next year....the money bags in Ottawa may want him if Hasek can't come back

Is that the Curling?
Or one of those other silly "push things around on ice with sticks" games Canadians play?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2006 12:56      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curling? Gawd no......we don't actually play curling, we just say that we do to confuse the enemy.
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2006 13:49      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:

No kidding. They aren't even trying anymore.. haven't for the last 15 games or so, either.

I still think Quinn needs to go .. he's needed to go for quite some time now, imnsho.

quote:
I hope not. I hate the Senators with every fibre of my being, and despite everything that's happened, I like Todd Bertuzzi.

quote:
He's old and washed up. He's a write-off at this point.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2006 14:39      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also despise the Sens, second only to the Habs, I like Bert and wish he'd get back to his mean ol' self.

How's this look?

-

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2006 16:04      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....or how 'bout this?

-

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2006 00:01      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is turning into a Canadian version of the 'Dancing/Skating with the Stars' threads [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragon34
Geek
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2006 05:30      Profile for dragon34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I apologize for offending you Yaya, no offense was meant, I would imagine most of the people on GC are good parents, It has just been my experience that I somehow managed to get lucky in the parent department, and a majority of my friends and acquaintances got the shaft.

I have a friend who was sexually abused by her own father.
I have a friend whose mother told him that she only had him so that his brother would have a brother.
Same mother told his future wife about her sexual escapades and why she shouldn't marry her son because he will fail just like every other male in her family.
I spent their wedding on the lookout for her to call security if she had the nerve to show up.
I have a friend whose mother told her that she had been (and I quote "nothing but pain and suffering since the day she was born." She said this with me, my mother, AND my friend present. her father abandoned her, she's met him maybe 3 times in her whole life.
Same mother chased her out of the house with a revolver.
same mother hit her in the head with a vacuum cleaner, and when she(the daughter) called the police because she was afraid her mother was going to kill her, her mother put on an extremely good act, and they arrested my friend because her mother showed scratches inflicted while my friend was defending herself from her mother. They didn't bother to photograph the huge f#$#cking bruise on my friend's face that went all the way down the side of her face, nor did they bother to test her for a concussion. They would have put her in jail if they hadn't called us. She stayed with my family for over a week.
Same mother now thinks that my friend is the good daughter and they get along now because mother doesn't like her older sister's (the golden child's) husband.
I have a friend whose mother stole/extoreted money from her. She also has only met her father once or twice.
I have a friend who had to quit her teaching job because she was being bitten scratched, punched and thrown down stairs by 2ND GRADERS. (you can't tell me their parents cared) The classes I had in high school that weren't in the advanced sections were filled with people who tried to make the teacher cry rather then do their work. (they succeeded on numerous occasions) There was a person in one of my classes in college who stopped eating until her parents gave her a boob job and a new car. It worked. I have friends whose parents have had obvious favoritism to one child or another. The woman who used to babysit for my brother (who was at the time, an excellent mother) discovered she was a lesbian (OK, fine, her prerogative, I don't have a problem with that) but she then proceeded to abandon her husband and children, and I don't think any of them have seen her since. How the H-E double hockey sticks can someone do that????
One of my former neighbors apparently had kids from a previous relationship, and he would sit them in his car with the volume on the stereo up so ridiculously loud that we could hear everything inside the house. those poor kids are going to be deaf before they can read. They also turned out to be drug dealers.
My friends all thought my family was perfect. I was lucky. The worst thing I ever had to deal with was listening to them scream at eachother for hours on end, but I never doubted that they loved me, or thought they didn't care what happened to me. As a result of this my fiance has had to tell me that we were fighting, because if screaming, throwing things, swearing, and asking for a divorce isn't commencing, I don't think of it as a fight. It's a discussion. That part actually ended up being kind of amusing (to me anyway)
There is more to this, but I think I've gone on long enough. Suffice it to say that there's a reason if it feels to me like the majority of parents don't care. I hope I'm wrong. I really do.

Posts: 146 | From: Central PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2006 11:12      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adding to dragon34's stories...

If it were up to my father, my siblings and I would've gone to the crappy city schools. My mother has said that the only reason he had children was so he'd have someone to take care of him in his old age. Seems to me he screwed himself out of that by abandoning him.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2006 11:32      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
If it were up to my father, my siblings and I would've gone to the crappy city schools.

Because, of course, all city schools are crap...
And all private schools are SOOO much better...

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2006 12:14      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cap'n: Good photoshops, but the thought of Mr Bertuzzi playing for either of those awful teams just angers me. The Flyers are my second most hated team.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2006 14:43      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
If it were up to my father, my siblings and I would've gone to the crappy city schools.

Because, of course, all city schools are crap...
And all private schools are SOOO much better...

In my city, yes. I used the specific, not the generality that you used, GM. It's very poor science to draw a conclusion based on a minuscule sample size, don'cha know!

(If we had lived in Manheim Township, attending public school wouldn't've been a problem, but when I was growing up, Lancaster City schools were poorly managed and didn't offer extra-curriculars like FFA.)

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

ę 2015 Geek Culture