homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » culture shock (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: culture shock
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 02:18      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FireSnake:
Calli: You actually bothered to read that? [Wink]

Yes I do read Erbo's posts, because however deeply I disagree with what he says, unlike ASM you can argue with him. If you make a point, he will try to answer it, and sometimes admit when one of his arguments is weak. I hope that we too can sometimes admit weaknesses in our position, in the face of his criticism. On this issue however he seems to be behaving like ASM in that he is pretty much ignoring the points made by everyone else and just giving us his repellant islamophobic views again and again.

I have not read ASM's posts but assume he is rattling on again about UN oil for food scandal, as it seems to be his justification for everything in this world (and possibly the next).

Reading Erbo's views I feel like someone in the 1930s hearing a calm and detailed description of the world wide Zionist conspiracy, or during the 1950s hearing an equally calm and reasonable description of how communist cells are infiltrating and threatening every aspect of US life and all its institutions. It is very very depressing that Erbo's appalling and highly dangerous paranoia has any support at all in an educated and supposedly advanced democracy.

When will we ever learn?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted March 06, 2006 02:48      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Start: Thanks, Jace for observations on UAE & Qatar vs Iraq.

To state something that should be obvious:
    Individuals may belong to the same "group" but are different from others in the group. Therefore, when "some" of the group perform "unacceptable" actions, other "individuals" of the group resent being assigned the (accurate and factual) "negative labels" from others actions.

At this point, I "strongly advise" that the "others" prove that they are "not the same." Saying "I haven't done that" isn't proof of "difference."

Just a quote. If you don't understand, ... fine.
quote:
With one church you have tyranny; with two, civil war; but with a hundred, peace.
    -- Voltaire

Question (and I expect answers based on reason):
    What makes Islam a peaceful religion? (Compared to Buddhism for example.)

Irrelevant Answers:

1) Scriptures say "don't kill other people" (etc, etc, etc). -- All religions have that. Talk is cheap.

2) "Our god is better than all other gods." -- Words, not facts. Same goes for "our moral values" are better.

Note: If "you" can't come up with answers better than the two above, "you" better find a way to keep "some Muslims" from giving the rest a "bad reputation." (A good ad agency won't be enough.)

quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
... headlong flight from logic, facts, and reason
I have not read ASM's posts but assume ....

So, saying "Muslims are murdering Muslims" (and that's what it is) isn't logical? Muslims using car bombs to kill innocent people isn't a fact? And saying "they better stop using God as an excuse to kill people" isn't reason?

#include sarcasm.h
[shake head] "You don't read"? Boy, I bet that really helps when you try to carry on an intelligent debate.

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 03:56      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ASM65816:

#include sarcasm.h
[shake head] "You don't read"? Boy, I bet that really helps when you try to carry on an intelligent debate.

Hehe, that's one of the most (unintentionally) funny posts I've read on here for ages.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted March 06, 2006 10:51      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Between csk, Callipygous, The Famous Druid, drunkennewfiemidget, and a few others, one of you "must" be able to provide a rational answer and intelligent proof to the question:

What makes Islam a peaceful religion?

(Maybe it's a closely guarded secret and they can't tell anyone.)

Maybe I've taken current events in the news "out of context." When thousands of Muslims are rioting in the streets and burning buildings and calling for the death of foreign cartoonists, how should I look at that to "see" the peaceful nature of their religion?

In case you haven't noticed, "good" deeds and "bad" deeds don't share a one-to-one value. For example, if someone prays (or does something else "good") 10 times a day every day for 20 years (about 73,000 times), but he cuts somebody's head off with a chainsaw just once, is it fair to put the guy in prison for the rest of his life?

Some people seem to be fond of "not reading" or "just ignoring" things. They probably don't understand why others don't follow their example. Consider the following:
quote:
Soldier 1: It looks like there might be an enemy mortar platoon over there.
Soldier 2: Just ignore it. Maybe it'll go away.

Military types generally don't ignore "dangerous things."

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 11:09      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 12:23      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Between csk, Callipygous, The Famous Druid, drunkennewfiemidget, and a few others, one of you "must" be able to provide a rational answer and intelligent proof to the question:

Hum... The 99% of people who follow it in a peaceful way, I'd say. Just as Christianism and Judaism. (Christians who bombed abortion clinics on faith pretense are just as terrorists as Islamics extremists. That North America and Europe are stable enough to have an overall uncorrupted police and justice courts to catch them and send them to jail is an whole other story, really.)

Enough of an answer, ASM?

On a related note: I find it a bit ironic that the religions with many gods or deities (or none at all, but those are usually regarded as philosophy) are the ones who don't go to war in the name of a god. Norsks went to war for the riches, Ancient Egyptians for slaves, Ancient Romans for territory, and so many more for other pursuits (even for love!), but it seems only monotheists have sent people to the afterworld to prove their view of the afterworld is _the_ right one.

So if, for a moment, one puts one's personnal belief aside and look at it, thinking: "what if it is not perfect? what if someone else's idea is better on some point of detail?", that person may be suddenly less keen to go after those s/he doesn't understand and label them a "threat."

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 12:35      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People, please.
If you keep throwing food scraps to that mangy mut, it'll keep hanging around the table.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 14:29      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:

On a related note: I find it a bit ironic that the religions with many gods or deities (or none at all, but those are usually regarded as philosophy) are the ones who don't go to war in the name of a god. Norsks went to war for the riches, Ancient Egyptians for slaves, Ancient Romans for territory, and so many more for other pursuits (even for love!), but it seems only monotheists have sent people to the afterworld to prove their view of the afterworld is _the_ right one.

It should be noted that in many of the polytheistic religions, most of the gods are barely interested in people at all. Those religions often operated as more of an explanation for reality than anything else, so they involved the occasional sacrifice to keep the gods happy, and not much else. Zeus/Jupiter, for example, was mainly interested in the occasional hot babe and his subsequent illegitimate offspring. On the other hand, Norse mythology often did encourage violence, since dying in battle was a sure way to get taken to Valhalla by a Valkyrie. Other polytheistic religions didn't encourage warfare as much as the occasional human sacrifice.

A lot of these religions never had the kind of widespread following for long periods of time that you find in the major religions known today, so it's difficult to say that they would, or wouldn't, have been the excuse for a lot of wars if they had lasted.

----

On a side note, insulting a person you consider a troll is, in and of itself, feeding it. Any reaction to the post leave a sign, in the troll's eyes, that some kind of nerve has possibly been hit. I find the insults annoying and unnecessary, anyway.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 15:29      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may be signing my death warrant as far as the respect of the GC community goes, but I'm throwing my support in with Erbo and ASM's perspective on things. (Stooping to ad hominem attacks doesn't make anyone's arguments stronger, and, actually, as I learned in undergraduate speech classes, is just a form of an argumentive fallacy.)

From what I've read in the Qu'ran and in my studies (at a secular university) of world religions, Islam appears to be the most militant today. Denying the potential risk posed by Islamic devotees would not be wise. Do peaceful Muslims exist? Of course. Does that mean radical (violent) Muslims don't exist? No. Will ignoring the possibility of a jihad in our lifetime make it go away? Of course not. The US tried that approach in World War II, but it didn't work. Wouldn't it be wise to plan for the future "just in case"? That way, should something actually happen, we'll be prepared. If nothing happens, and the people who claim Islam is basically peaceful are correct, that would be wonderful.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 15:36      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonwyyn...sounds just like the ideology behind the Japanese internment camps during WWII in the US. How many innocent people are you willing to deny their basic rights, just to find a few bad apples? How would you feel if the tables were turned, and you were denied your rights on the ground that you were aligned with...oh say, the IRA?

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 16:07      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Rhonwyyn...sounds just like the ideology behind the Japanese internment camps during WWII in the US. How many innocent people are you willing to deny their basic rights, just to find a few bad apples? How would you feel if the tables were turned, and you were denied your rights on the ground that you were aligned with...oh say, the IRA?

Umm, I'm not advocating that we preemptively lock up people. I'm suggesting we just prepare for violence just like we should prepare for severe storms or nuclear war. Y'know, have a plan of defense/preparedness. Going around locking up people would be completely idiotic, particularly in the US where freedom of speech is guaranteed by our Constitution and one of the things that sets us apart from other countries.

And as far as tables being turned, I have my money in a 401(k), not an IRA.... Okay, okay. Bad joke.

Remember, I'm of German Mennonite heritage. My ancestors (both in the US and in Germany) denied what was happening in Europe to our neighbors and let the persecution and genocide continue unabated before we finally stepped up to the plate and worked to smuggle people to safety. It's not one of our proudest moments, that's for sure.

--------------------

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 17:29      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Umm, I'm not advocating that we preemptively lock up people. I'm suggesting we just prepare for violence just like we should prepare for severe storms or nuclear war. Y'know, have a plan of defense/preparedness. Going around locking up people would be completely idiotic, particularly in the US where freedom of speech is guaranteed by our Constitution and one of the things that sets us apart from other countries.

Remember, I'm of German Mennonite heritage. My ancestors (both in the US and in Germany) denied what was happening in Europe to our neighbors and let the persecution and genocide continue unabated before we finally stepped up to the plate and worked to smuggle people to safety. It's not one of our proudest moments, that's for sure. [/QB]

We are prepared for violence (how effective said preparations are is a controversial topic, and one I won't go into here). That's what the Department of Homeland Security is for, for one thing. That's what interdepartmental communication is about. Attacking Iraq doesn't help. Maligning Islam as a violent religion doesn't help. In fact, I would argue that these things make us more vulnerable - while it's true that bin Laden would probably fight us no matter what we did, one of his recruiting tools is resentment against the US for sticking its nose in where it doesn't really have any business, and demonstrating that at least part of its population believes its in a war against Islam.

My (metaphoric) ancestors were among those victims of the Holocaust who began dying before the death camps were conceived of, who were unlikely to be smuggled out, and who are today probably the least likely to be remembered. So far, I don't see genocide occurring in the Middle East except possibly in the case of Israel-Palestine (and that involves a relatively evenly matched set of opponents for a situation that is far closer to war than genocide). Nor do I see Muslim countries setting up death camps for anyone - Jewish, Christian, al-kafir, or others.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 18:25      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Remember, I'm of German Mennonite heritage.

<sarcasm>From what I've read in the Lancaster Online ( Silenced by the Shame) and in my studies (at a secular university) Mennonites appear to be the most violent people. I'm suggesting we just prepare for violence just like we should prepare for severe storms or nuclear war. Y'know, have a plan of defense/preparedness. </sarcasm>

The point of that sarcasm is that the religions of evil people are not the issue. Evil people are the issue. Just as we should "love the sinner and hate the sin", we should love the prophets that teach of peace, love, charity, justice, etc., and hate the sins done in their name. Perhaps, some teachings are more easily misinterpreted than others, but most religions have had evil done by those who felt that someone's religion was a reason to persecute them. Perpetuating that is not a good idea.

--------------------
Geordie

Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 18:26      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
Attacking Iraq doesn't help. Maligning Islam as a violent religion doesn't help. In fact, I would argue that these things make us more vulnerable - while it's true that bin Laden would probably fight us no matter what we did, one of his recruiting tools is resentment against the US for sticking its nose in where it doesn't really have any business, and demonstrating that at least part of its population believes its in a war against Islam.

Amen. My suggestion for preparedness is rooted in a desire for peace and awareness, not one of war and violence.

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 18:36      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Geordie:
quote:
Remember, I'm of German Mennonite heritage.

<sarcasm>From what I've read in the Lancaster Online ( Silenced by the Shame) and in my studies (at a secular university) Mennonites appear to be the most violent people. I'm suggesting we just prepare for violence just like we should prepare for severe storms or nuclear war. Y'know, have a plan of defense/preparedness. </sarcasm>

The point of that sarcasm is that the religions of evil people are not the issue. Evil people are the issue. Just as we should "love the sinner and hate the sin", we should love the prophets that teach of peace, love, charity, justice, etc., and hate the sins done in their name. Perhaps, some teachings are more easily misinterpreted than others, but most religions have had evil done by those who felt that someone's religion was a reason to persecute them. Perpetuating that is not a good idea.

I'll be the first one to agree with you that perpetuating persecution is wrong. I grew up in a church that was exactly as those articles described. It's filthy old bastards who get their kicks from humiliating women who perpetuated the violence and continued it in secret even when women pled for help. It still makes me angry that people have that power and use it unchecked. And the thing that's absolute bullshit is that some of those old men still deny any allegations of abuse.

That's why I'm adamant about being aware of the possibilities stemming from any interpretation of religion. Islam can be interpreted as peaceful in some aspects and violent in others. I'm just asking for an awareness and not a denial of the possibilities. Burying our heads in the sand gets us nowhere, neither in the direction of acceptance nor toward rebuttal.

--------------------

dragon34
Geek
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted March 06, 2006 18:37      Profile for dragon34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are plenty of peaceful Muslims, just as there are plenty of peaceful Christians, and plenty of peaceful Jews. Then you have the freaking fanatics like Pat Robertson, Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Jerry Falwell and a slew of other idiots, the muslims who believe they are commanded by Allah to blow shit up, and some of the Israeli Jews who are so convinced of their moral superiority to the Palestinians that they blow them up preemptively. The fanatics get much better press. It's unfortunate, and it's shameful that the media takes crap like that and runs with it, therefore spreading the ignorance, hatred and stupidity around to as many impressionable sheep as they can reach on network television or radio, all for better ratings, and therefore more cash, at the expense of our societal health.

It would help if the schools actually emphasized critical thinking skills rather then regurgitation and aptitude tests so that we would graduate high school students who can actually see through the crap that is Fox News and it's competitors. It would help if the majority of parents actually cared enough about their child(ren)'s education that they encouraged them to do their homework rather then give their teachers a hard time so that they can get away with doing as little work as possible.

It would help if the US Government wasn't being run by individuals (Excluding John McCain, Howard Dean, Olympia Snow, and a couple other decent human beings that by some miracle ended up in a position of relative power) who are more concerned with getting reelected and wooing corporate sponsorship (which should be freaking outlawed) than doing the best thing for their constituents and the country. For the PEOPLE by the PEOPLE. Nowhere does it say anything about bowing to corporate interests whenever they give you enough money. It would help if you didn't have to be independently wealthy to run for office. I don't think our founding fathers envisioned "career politicians" They probably figured that If people can't run until they're 25 or 30, and the average life-span is mid 40s, well the most you're going to be able to be in office is 15 years on average. Why bother legislating term limits?

It would help if Presidential campaigns didn't drag on for so freaking long (much like this post [Razz] ) that most of the potential voters (or readers [Wink] ) have either lost interest, or so disgusted with the whole negative, bashing process that by the time election day rolls around that they don't bother voting. We have television, we have the Internet there is no reason for campaigns to drag on for nine months, wasting millions upon millions of dollars in negative television ads and debate coverage that no one watches because it conflicts with the new episode of American Idol. The whole thing could be done in a month, from primaries to final voting, without all of the bullshit. I am sick to death of voting for the lesser evil. Will someone give me a good candidate for once?

The system is broken, and I'm too goddamn poor to fix it. I'm also a non-religous lapsed Jew, who lives with her fiance before marriage, and therefore unelectable due to *moral* issues. Let us not forget that I can't even run, because I can't afford to not work for almost a year while I run around campaigning. So yeah.. it would help if in order to run for office you didn't have to be A.) Independently wealthy, B.) Willing to rate corporate interests above individual interests C.) Conform to Judeo-Christian morals flawlessly, even though, last time I checked the US was founded as a nation of religious freedom, not a Christian nation.

(I apologize for being able to pull more Christian fundy names out of my a$$ then those of other faiths, they just seem to be more visible in my hometown)

/can't we all just get along????

Posts: 146 | From: Central PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 18:40      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

The first words of a Muslim to someone they meet is Salam Alaikum (Peace be upon you) or As sala'amu alaikum and the generally expected reply is "walaikum as sala'am" (and unto you also, peace).

--------------------
Geordie

Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 18:50      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragon34:
There are plenty of peaceful Muslims, just as there are plenty of peaceful Christians, and plenty of peaceful Jews. Then you have the freaking fanatics like Pat Robertson, Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Jerry Falwell and a slew of other idiots, the muslims who believe they are commanded by Allah to blow shit up, and some of the Israeli Jews who are so convinced of their moral superiority to the Palestinians that they blow them up preemptively. The fanatics get much better press. It's unfortunate, and it's shameful that the media takes crap like that and runs with it, therefore spreading the ignorance, hatred and stupidity around to as many impressionable sheep as they can reach on network television or radio, all for better ratings, and therefore more cash, at the expense of our societal health.

It would help if the schools actually emphasized critical thinking skills rather then regurgitation and aptitude tests so that we would graduate high school students who can actually see through the crap that is Fox News and it's competitors. It would help if the majority of parents actually cared enough about their child(ren)'s education that they encouraged them to do their homework rather then give their teachers a hard time so that they can get away with doing as little work as possible.

It would help if the US Government wasn't being run by individuals (Excluding John McCain, Howard Dean, Olympia Snow, and a couple other decent human beings that by some miracle ended up in a position of relative power) who are more concerned with getting reelected and wooing corporate sponsorship (which should be freaking outlawed) than doing the best thing for their constituents and the country. For the PEOPLE by the PEOPLE. Nowhere does it say anything about bowing to corporate interests whenever they give you enough money. It would help if you didn't have to be independently wealthy to run for office. I don't think our founding fathers envisioned "career politicians" They probably figured that If people can't run until they're 25 or 30, and the average life-span is mid 40s, well the most you're going to be able to be in office is 15 years on average. Why bother legislating term limits?

It would help if Presidential campaigns didn't drag on for so freaking long (much like this post [Razz] ) that most of the potential voters (or readers [Wink] ) have either lost interest, or so disgusted with the whole negative, bashing process that by the time election day rolls around that they don't bother voting. We have television, we have the Internet there is no reason for campaigns to drag on for nine months, wasting millions upon millions of dollars in negative television ads and debate coverage that no one watches because it conflicts with the new episode of American Idol. The whole thing could be done in a month, from primaries to final voting, without all of the bullshit. I am sick to death of voting for the lesser evil. Will someone give me a good candidate for once?

The system is broken, and I'm too goddamn poor to fix it. I'm also a non-religous lapsed Jew, who lives with her fiance before marriage, and therefore unelectable due to *moral* issues. Let us not forget that I can't even run, because I can't afford to not work for almost a year while I run around campaigning. So yeah.. it would help if in order to run for office you didn't have to be A.) Independently wealthy, B.) Willing to rate corporate interests above individual interests C.) Conform to Judeo-Christian morals flawlessly, even though, last time I checked the US was founded as a nation of religious freedom, not a Christian nation.

(I apologize for being able to pull more Christian fundy names out of my a$$ then those of other faiths, they just seem to be more visible in my hometown)

/can't we all just get along????

Lets write a computer program to run our government. Then the only debate will be deciding what language to write it in, and for which platform to write it.

/me begins writing magic8ball.py

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

dragon34
Geek
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 18:59      Profile for dragon34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
<snip>
Lets write a computer program to run our government. Then the only debate will be deciding what language to write it in, and for which platform to write it.

/me begins writing magic8ball.py

lol. Well, that would definitely be a hell of a lot more efficient. Can we include something along the lines of
if (sumBillCost > generalBudget)
{
return "You fail basic math 101, go back to kindergarten";
}
else
{
educationBudget += generalBudget-sumBillCost;
return "Congratulations, you have balanced your budget"

}

Posts: 146 | From: Central PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 19:12      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To dragon34

Your comment about the majority of children's parents not caring about the education of their children was a thoughtless and baseless load of malarkey.

I am a parent and I have met many parents through my children, and I can assure you every single one of us cares about our children and our children's education.

*Last sentence edited for unnecessary rudeness

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 19:23      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eep! Yaya, that's rather ouchie. [ohwell]

I know you're a parent who cares about her children, and I'm glad for that! [Smile]

I also have a few friends who are teachers, one in an inner-city school (and I also teach high schoolers once a month; most of those kids come from inner-city homes), and yeah, the parents that most of us deal with don't care about their children's education. They want the teachers to take care of their kids and not leave any responsibility for the parents. In Lancaster City, 900 schoolchildren are homeless. Now, they may be homeless due to circumstances beyond their control, but considering most of the families are fatherless, lower class, and one or both parents has a criminal record, Jack Daniels is their best friend... doesn't really create an environment conducive to a good education. [Frown]

--------------------

YaYawoman

Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 19:41      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi rhonnie

Yes it was probably a bit "ouchie". You know what? I found the original comment rather "ouchie"

I can respect the fact that some parents dont care.Some teachers dont care. Doesnt mean the majority dont. She said the majority. Big difference. She was also using that malarkey as a partial reason why she feels children grow up too stupid to believe the same as she does.

I sympathise with the students from an inner-city low-income background. Their parents are not the majority of parents.

And the homeless issue? Rhonnie, I have been homeless 3 times. My children were well cared for and I made sure my daughter was in an environment that encouraged her education.

I guess what really set me off was the tone. Of course EVERYONE knows that parents these days just dont care and That is just not true.

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 20:57      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for explaining, Yaya. I understand now where you're coming from. [Smile]

And y'know, isn't that what this big debate is about anyway? it's about a bunch of people with a wide variety of beliefs who have to co-exist, sometimes in a very small space. It's a delicate dance not to hurt someone by accident and not to become offended too quickly. Living in a world where people are so diverse in so many ways should teach us patience and compassion, wisdom and understanding, and above all, a desire to know that under all those differences, the next guy bleeds just like I do.

(And if that's not leftist, I don't know what is! [Razz] )

--------------------

nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 21:00      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Thanks for explaining, Yaya. I understand now where you're coming from. [Smile]

And y'know, isn't that what this big debate is about anyway? it's about a bunch of people with a wide variety of beliefs who have to co-exist, sometimes in a very small space. It's a delicate dance not to hurt someone by accident and not to become offended too quickly. Living in a world where people are so diverse in so many ways should teach us patience and compassion, wisdom and understanding, and above all, a desire to know that under all those differences, the next guy bleeds just like I do.

(And if that's not leftist, I don't know what is! [Razz] )

Makes you wonder why the lefties are the ones making the ad-hominem comments, doesn't it?

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 06, 2006 23:10      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
Makes you wonder why the lefties are the ones making the ad-hominem comments, doesn't it?

The answer to that question can be found in the archives of these forums, in many many political debate threads. Reasoned argument has been tried by the "lefties" many many times. And ignored pretty much every one of those times. Eventually we all just decided it was too much bother to try to argue coherently with those who seemed incapable of a rational, logical debate on the subject, so that left resorting to insult or ignoring these sorts of threads entirely. I hate that it's come to this, but there don't seem to be any signs to me that it's going to improve any time soon.

The thing that gets me is the intellectual double standards. If we were discussing some disenfranchised American teenager going out and shooting a whole bunch of people, I think most people here would be critical of anyone who would try to blame it on violent computer games, or insufficient gun control, etc. After all, guns don't kill people, people kill people, etc etc. But for some reason as soon as it comes to religion, people are able to think of a religion as intrinsically violence inspiring. Sorry, but religion doesn't kill people, religious fanatics do. And if we're doing a body count, I bet that over history many more people have been killed in the name of Christianity than Islam. Particularly if you count Hitler as a Christian (as I understand it, he thought he was, but I fully expect the "no true scotsman" fallacy to surface at this point).

And dealing specifically with terrorism, if Islam was intrinsically violent etc etc, then why every time some act of terrorism carried out by Muslims happens do you see Muslim leaders publically condemning the acts, and urging peace etc? Is it just an elaborate cover up? No, doesn't seem likely, much more likely that it's the lunatic fringe that are involved in terrorist activity, and the vast majority are peace loving people.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture