homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Google censoring hits in US

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Google censoring hits in US
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 11:38      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First China, now the US.

I tried to open a link a friend sent me to some video from Iraq, only to have it display "This video is not playable in your country."

Here's the
link

I'm far more disturbed that I can't see this than I think I would be by anything in the video.

Please, no "but you've never been to war" comments. I'm from a military family, so I have been lectured on its ugliness.

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 12:00      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How silly.

Here it is from my servers. No rules about where you're coming from here.

It's not terribly interesting though.

http://probablyoneofthelongestdomainnamesontheinternet.com/explosion.avi

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 12:54      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
How silly.

Here it is from my servers. No rules about where you're coming from here.

It's not terribly interesting though.

http://probablyoneofthelongestdomainnamesontheinternet.com/explosion.avi

That's the point exactly - it isn't anything interesting. I didn't think the video would contain anything really bad. But the censorship is bad.
Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted February 17, 2006 14:16      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I had to guess, I'd say that Google was dividing the globe up in a similar fashion to the DVD region numbers, and specifying that videos uploaded from one region are only playable from that region. Iraq is Region 2; the USA is Region 1. Somebody else from Region 2 (which includes Europe, Japan, and a bunch of countries in Southeast Asia) could get the video OK. (This is all wild speculation, I haven't the foggiest notion about how it actually works.)

The kicker is, though, does Google Video have a way of specifying a particular video clip to be "region free"? If so, then maybe the poster of this video didn't use that option. But I strongly ssuspect Google didn't include that option, because it would allow people posting clips of movies to get around the DVD region restrictions.

So this piece of bogosity can probably be laid at the feet of the MPAA and its fellow-travelers, like so much of the other farked-up stuff that makes the world a less happy place.

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
niniel
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4430

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 18:51      Profile for niniel   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine from Germany can't open any google videos, I doubt that all the times we've sent him videos are from the same place... [Confused]

--------------------
Uno no está listo para vivir si no está listo para morir.
_,_,·~

Posts: 47 | From: Honduras | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 17, 2006 21:50      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh. Are the good ol' days of the internet that everyone will talk about years from now finally coming to an end? We all knew they would eventually.

[Frown]

Begin appropriation in 5... 4... 3... 2...

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Zantabar
Newbie Larva
Member # 4902

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2006 01:04      Profile for Zantabar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ewomack:
Ugh. Are the good ol' days of the internet that everyone will talk about years from now finally coming to an end? We all knew they would eventually.

[Frown]

Begin appropriation in 5... 4... 3... 2...

I'm going to go with yes the internet is coming to an end.
Posts: 8 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2006 09:07      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lets start our own. IPv6Net- w00t!

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2006 14:47      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
lets start our own. IPv6Net- w00t!

Yea, we'll start our own internet, with blackjack, and hookers, in fact, lets forget the internet, and the blackjack.
Sorry, first thing that popped into my head. Unfortunatly with starting out own we wont have access to government funding, which means Al Gore can't help us invent it. Not to mention the costs to lay new lines considering i DOUBT ISP's are gonna take it very well at first and donate the bandwidth

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted February 18, 2006 18:25      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do we want to start placing bets on how long it's going to be before the government goes all 1984 on us? [ohwell]

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2006 08:05      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo:
If I had to guess, I'd say that Google was dividing the globe up in a similar fashion to the DVD region numbers, and specifying that videos uploaded from one region are only playable from that region. Iraq is Region 2; the USA is Region 1. Somebody else from Region 2 (which includes Europe, Japan, and a bunch of countries in Southeast Asia) could get the video OK. (This is all wild speculation, I haven't the foggiest notion about how it actually works.)

The kicker is, though, does Google Video have a way of specifying a particular video clip to be "region free"? If so, then maybe the poster of this video didn't use that option. But I strongly ssuspect Google didn't include that option, because it would allow people posting clips of movies to get around the DVD region restrictions.

So this piece of bogosity can probably be laid at the feet of the MPAA and its fellow-travelers, like so much of the other farked-up stuff that makes the world a less happy place.

That doesn't make sense. under that scheme, and with what it appears Google's region encoding would have to be, it wouldn't be possible to view video clips uploaded from anywhere other than the U.S. (Remember, Canadians can see this video clip too, so they'd have to be the "rest-of-the-world-except-China" region.)

Also interesting, the other clip uploaded by the same user gives the same message. I did check with someone that has the German problem with it, and the message he gets is not the same one that the Americans are getting.

Interesting.

Here's a screenshot, for you out of country folks:
 -

I sent an email to google's support about it, anyway.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted February 19, 2006 10:43      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From doing a view source, a small snippet.....
quote:
This video is not playable in your country.
videoUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fvp.video.google.com%2Fvideodownload%3Fversion
%3D0%26secureurl%3DjQAAAMDSmb-1OPP1CLa9f1-
bcs2gTReMsrZC5QdmyK80GtWR9VRhk7Mp2NiKqAoXX9fhydptx8
XrVQyF_LQEdzGg_4ef1_6eflOvj-uxXTQkZDzqFGX5Ofp4i2piRG3
0OjTsPFBSJGjKaDzT7yLNQGhgaPtP_6ALRcHys5fooVH_EgENohCA
zCgWAuJSHLUukVuwOA%26sigh%3Dcqea4QYqJRFYwQt850QKi
TXw2ss%26begin%3D0%26len%3D70859%26docid%3D4258374615945369026&
thumbnailUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo.google.com%2F
ThumbnailServer%3Fcontentid%3Ddbf67acb0c8d91de

The part that doesn't make sense is:

Why would Google report a link that "Google" intended to Censor?

I don't know how scripts for web pages do their tricks, but I think the "censoring" is from the machine that hosts the video, not Google. Someone who knows script stuff and such may be able to accurately analyze where the "not playable" message is determined. I think Google generates the links, but storage remains at the host sites, and the hosts are the final say on whether content is blocked or allowed (in this case).
[ohwell]

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2006 10:56      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ASM65816:
I think Google generates the links, but storage remains at the host sites, and the hosts are the final say on whether content is blocked or allowed (in this case).
[ohwell]

I don't know. If you use the "put on site" link, you get the code to embed it in your blog or whatever like so: http://sweblog.alphanum3r1c.com/misc/embedgvid.txt

If it were the actual host of the video, methinks that would also get blocked?

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted February 19, 2006 11:44      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking at the imbed I saw:
quote:
playerMode=embedded" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" quality="best"
So the next question is can we change "allowScriptAccess" to "it's-all-good-baby"? [Wink]

Either way, it feels like Google is making the source anonymous. [Confused] The search for "Night Explosion" returns the video, even though the video is "not playable."

Maybe someone that can play the video via the Google link can determine the IP or site that actually sends the stream. [evil]

[EDIT: I think I see why the embed code works....]
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4258374615945369026
    uses: ... secureurl%3D ...
Ysps1jyP6-MLC8UqQ%26sigh%3D6NHwzPA7Os3WiHKNm74-4HNJvsA%26begin

The created embed link (that works)
    uses: ... secureurl%3D ...
QQSsxGX2eOwNesQ%26sigh%3DQkLfxQn5Nh17nl2O0WxAiy29WQc%26begin

They're not the same. Maybe it's just a bug.....

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 10:49      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This might be a copyright issue rather than censorship. The iTunes music store does the same thing. A while back, someone posted the iTunes link for a particular Canadian artist. When I tried to buy one of the songs, I got a message saying that I could not buy it from the US store. Later I read that there are some distribution deals in which an artist might be available only in certain countries.
Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 09:01      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://yro.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=178066&cid=14767588

Edit: Upon further reading, there is a question as to the validity of that, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it was true.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The-Tech
Geek
Member # 2506

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2006 13:04      Profile for The-Tech     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Boing Boing the poster of the video chose to black list the US from viewing the video.

Here is the LINK

Sorry no censorship from Big Brother ... yet ... until then please continue to prepare for the worst it's bound to come around sooner or later [Razz]

Dave

--------------------
God not only plays dice with the universe,
he sometimes throws them where they cannot be seen
--- Stephen Hawking

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject -- Winston Churchill

Posts: 128 | From: Third Stone from the Sun | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture