homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » spelling and grammer PISS ME OFF!!!! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: spelling and grammer PISS ME OFF!!!!
guy_insane
Mini Geek
Member # 4544

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted November 08, 2005 17:09      Profile for guy_insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Mad] I believe that because this is an online forum no one should care about spelling or grammar but nnnnnnnnnoooooooo every one has to go and make a big fuss of it all this really pisses me off if you disagree with me you better have a good reason. [Mad]

P.S. it has been proven that as long as it has the right number of leters and the correct begining and end you can read it no matter how garbled the letters in the middle are.

--------------------
the universe is as you perceive it so a change in perspective is a change in the universe- me november 2 2005

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2005 17:15      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do you believe this way?

This is a bulletin board, not a chat room. You have the time and liberty to think things through, and it's a sign of respect to the people you are addressing if you do so.

Of course, if you don't like the way we do things here you are free to go. It's not like this is the Hotel California or anything.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 08, 2005 17:29      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Of course, if you don't like the way we do things here you are free to go. It's not like this is the Hotel California or anything.

-
Posts: 490 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2005 17:37      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are geeks; therefore, we believe in using standard grammar and spelling. It helps us understand the message you are trying to convey. It also makes your posts look like they were typed by someone who cares if other people read them. It's not that hard, and who knows, with practice you might spot mistakes that other people make.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2005 17:49      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I have said to you in another thread, trying to write clearly and simply not only is a courtesy to your readers, but it makes you think more clearly and deeply yourself. So getting into good writing habits also encourages good habits of thought.

As it is if I was to judge you by your posts, I am sorry to say that I would have to imagine you as a bit of a dimwit. Fairly soon you will have to produce writing on which others will judge you, such as an exam or a c.v., so getting into the habit of writing well is not a waste of your valuable time, unless flipping burgers forms a large part of your life plan. Not all of us can write with flair and originality, but everyone can and should try to express themselves simply and with clarity.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2005 18:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that because this is an online forum - pages served up via HTTP...I have the right to completely ignore you. If I so desire, I can program my system to delete all posts of yours from my view, or to replace them with something that amuses me. By writing poorly, you cause me to focus on understanding the presentation of your thoughts, rather than the actual point you are trying to convey.

In short: FOAD!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2005 19:11      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by guy_insane:
[Mad] I believe that because this is an online forum no one should care about spelling or grammar but nnnnnnnnnoooooooo every one has to go and make a big fuss of it all this really pisses me off if you disagree with me you better have a good reason. [Mad]

Why should spelling or grammar matter everywhere except online?

quote:
P.S. it has been proven that as long as it has the right number of leters and the correct begining and end you can read it no matter how garbled the letters in the middle are.

It's true, but it also takes more mental work for a person to do that. Spelling and grammar are about organizing your thoughts in ways that will make sense to others without requiring them to consciously work at it. That's why lack of grammar and spelling is seen as rude here; you're asking us to expend extra effort to read your posts, because you were to lazy to expend that effort yourself when typing them.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2005 20:17      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
That's why lack of grammar and spelling is seen as rude here; you're asking us to expend extra effort to read your posts, because you were to lazy to expend that effort yourself when typing them.

Ahem...I believe you meant to say "too lazy." [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2005 21:32      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
That's why lack of grammar and spelling is seen as rude here; you're asking us to expend extra effort to read your posts, because you were to lazy to expend that effort yourself when typing them.

Ahem...I believe you meant to say "too lazy." [Wink]
Darn, and I proof-read that, too. [blush]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 08, 2005 21:36      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that because this is an online forum no one should care about spelling or grammar

Well, this is an online forum. That means that the major way of expressing yourself is through words. If you cannot or will not express yourself with some level of literacy when everyone else on a forum does, you should not be suprised when you find that you are not regarded highly.

That said, virtually everyone here does care about grammar and spelling. On most forums I go to, a certain level of literacy is expected and those who post badly are given some grief over it (and trust me, what's dished out here is like being scolded by Mary Poppins compared to some of the other places I post).

if you disagree with me you better have a good reason

I've seen reasons for why these spelling, grammar and punctuation are important explained to you repeatedly. It's time for you to give a good reason why everyone else should stop caring.

This is true if you only use small words, but then some of us are inclined to say things like "Eatadonucil otoptipineurs oolivsbuy owlverehm Ganisunye."

$5 says he gives up and uses an online anagram generator to try to decipher that.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2005 21:53      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Sorry, let me sum up all the responses that have been posted and will be posted.

"Bye"

402 Payment Required

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2005 06:55      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the signpost at a zoo, the placard explaining the diet of a panda bear read:

"Eats, shoots, and leaves."

It's amazing what grammar will get you.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2005 09:19      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once saw a comic give this example of why grammar is important:
quote:
Woman, without her man, is nothing.
versus
quote:
Woman--without her, man is nothing.
Big difference, yes?

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
guy_insane
Mini Geek
Member # 4544

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2005 15:16      Profile for guy_insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Why do you believe this way?
i do not follow this very well. could you clarify what you mean
quote:
$5 says he gives up and uses an online anagram generator to try to decipher that.
you owe me five dollars

--------------------
the universe is as you perceive it so a change in perspective is a change in the universe- me november 2 2005

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2005 15:49      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QUOTE] Why do you believe this way?

i do not follow this very well. could you clarify what you mean

quote:
[QB] [Mad] I believe that because this is an online forum no one should care about spelling or grammar but nnnnnnnnnoooooooo every one has to go and make a big fuss of it all this really pisses me off if you disagree with me you better have a good reason. [Mad]

I believe that Xanthine is asking you to give us a good reason for your belief that you should not have to produce correct spelling and grammar just because this is an online forum. That is really not a reason; it's like saying, "It's this way because I say so".

Considering that you are the new person here, it is bad form to try to impose your ways upon us in order to make yourself comfortable. In fact, since the only means of communication here is typewritten text, you should be extra careful of spelling and grammar in order for you to be understood properly.

If you want us to take anything you type seriously, you might want to give that some consideration. Don't get me wrong. If you have something meaningful to add to the forums we are glad you are here, but if you think that we want to sift through your bad grammar and spelling mistakes to get to it, forget it.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

guy_insane
Mini Geek
Member # 4544

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2005 16:07      Profile for guy_insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

about all this i did not properly clarify because I am lazy but the letters in the word have to be the same. Gomnes are suitpd. see?
any way sorry about this i was just angry about somthing else and needed somewhere to blow it all out my butt

--------------------

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2005 16:38      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
about all this i did not properly clarify because I am lazy but the letters in the word have to be the same. Gomnes are suitpd. see?
any way sorry about this i was just angry about somthing else and needed somewhere to blow it all out my butt

Are you channeling Yoda? The only thing I half way understand is that you were angry about an entirely different subject, and so you decided to rant about spelling and grammar instead of what might be your diarrhea or constipation problems. Why not rant about what you are really angry about? Or if necessary, just take a laxative or an Imodium as the case warrants.

--------------------

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2005 17:03      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

This is typical of all your posts. It does not make sense. I have no idea what you are trying to say, and I don't really think you know either.

It is a clear demonstration of what I said to you earlier, of how sloppy use of language results in sloppy thinking. Do you smoke a lot of dope?

I won't bother with you any more as you clearly are not listening, but conversely don't be too surprised if most people here just ignore your posts. Maybe you should also rethink the "instant messaging made me a monster" justification for your style of communication. It's lame, (and incidentally laziness is no excuse either).

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2005 17:34      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CrawGator:
quote:

Are you channeling Yoda? The only thing I half way understand is that you were angry about an entirely different subject,
Really? I only understood that he hates gnomes. Poor gnomes..

--------------------

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2005 17:37      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alfrin:
Really? I only understood that he hates gnomes. Poor gnomes..

I don't feel sorry for the gnomes. I think they could take him down if they had to.

--------------------

guy_insane
Mini Geek
Member # 4544

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2005 17:43      Profile for guy_insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not hate gnomes i was just using that as an example. i am sorry for my disconcerting random way off addresing things it is not my fault i have ADD

--------------------

guy_insane
Mini Geek
Member # 4544

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2005 17:45      Profile for guy_insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

i am agian forced to quote my self all i was saying was i was letting out all the commpressed rage inside of myself into a non destructive internet rant.

--------------------

guy_insane
Mini Geek
Member # 4544

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted November 09, 2005 17:48      Profile for guy_insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Callipygous you are either just a mean spiteful person or you do not care for the feelings of others [weep] [cry baby] [weep] [Frown] [Mad] [Mad] [Frown]

--------------------

alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2005 18:20      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Callipygous you are either just a mean spiteful person or you do not care for the feelings of others [weep] [cry baby] [weep] [Frown] [Mad] [Mad] [Frown]

He's not mean, he's brutally honest. I am sorry but your latest posts are not showing that you are capable of changing your horrible habits. Please quit blaming it on other things. You have absolute control over yourself.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2005 19:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I do not hate gnomes i was just using that as an example. i am sorry for my disconcerting random way off addresing things it is not my fault i have ADD

Bullshit! Crawl back into your hole and stay there, unless you're willing to speak clearly and politely. No, it's not the pot calling the kettle black - I'm tired of listening to your crap, and am merely responding in kind. Now...someone said something about 'typewritten words.' Perhaps I should threaten to put my posts up here in handwritten form. [Wink] [evil] Those would be /really/ easy to read. [Big Grin]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture