homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » I tried. Really. I tried very hard to control myself. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: I tried. Really. I tried very hard to control myself.
guy_insane
Mini Geek
Member # 4544

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2005 17:52      Profile for guy_insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." — H. L. Mencken

--------------------
the universe is as you perceive it so a change in perspective is a change in the universe- me november 2 2005

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2005 17:54      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by guy_insane:
quote:
As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." — H. L. Mencken

Gee, thats familiar. Hmmm I wonder where I saw that quote before.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted November 09, 2005 19:04      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
Is France above criticism?

I figure the matter wasn't brought up because "rubbing salt in wounds" just didn't seem like a good idea.

About problems: Unemployment causes trouble, even if people "like" one another.

Nations "always" have some degree of unemployment, and at low levels it isn't much of a problem (the US is around 5%). It's near impossible to simply "create" jobs, so that unemployment becomes 0%. Economic growth creates jobs naturally, but it's not instantaneous. If the population growth matches economic growth, 50,000 "new" jobs could appear, but the working population also increases by 50,000 and unemployment remains the same.

Problem (oversimplified):
* Some number of refugees arrive in a city -- this is instantaneous "population" growth.
* Jobs are not instantly created -- "all" refugees become unemployed.

The bigger "some number" is, the worse the problem.

Second, an observation on "Westernized" societies: "Your job is more important than your religion" (from the company and government point of view).

In occupations that work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, you do your job first because it is "more important." If you "serve God" instead of doing your job, you will no longer have a job. For anyone that "believes" service to a company is nothing when compared to "duty to God," keeping a job may be "difficult." (Cultural conflict)

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 09, 2005 19:28      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChildeRoland:
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
GG, I confess I did not vote today, but let me explain my reasoning:

Your town probably won't have an elections office. For that you'll have to go to the county seat.
True. Which is especially ironic since Lancaster IS the county seat. Now comes the fun part: finding my voter registration card to get the address. (We can just use our driver's licenses for ID if we can't find our cards at the polling place.)

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
guy_insane
Mini Geek
Member # 4544

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2005 15:09      Profile for guy_insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CrawGator:
quote:
quote:

I am sorry if you feel offended or hurt but i was merely pointing it out to every one else because it is directly related to this fourm

--------------------
the universe is as you perceive it so a change in perspective is a change in the universe- me november 2 2005

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2005 17:12      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I am sorry if you feel offended or hurt but i was merely pointing it out to every one else because it is directly related to this fourm
Well you could at least comment on the quote. All you did was copy and paste. How do the racism problems of the world correlate with the election of a President of the United States with a sub par IQ?

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2005 17:39      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well you could at least comment on the quote. All you did was copy and paste. How do the racism problems of the world correlate with the election of a President of the United States with a sub par IQ?
Well coming from him, the explanation is to be much like:
quote:
waht doe it matter? teh quote seem to be on topci and im tryn to participat in your guyz covno isnt tat what you wnat????
But just so that quote isn't put to waste.

I think a big problem in this world is "Antiracism". As bad as that sounds, saying that it is a problem. But let's take for example, American Colleges. They have a policy, relatively recent, which basically says you could have a white, American male, with a good o' 4.0 GPA. Then you have a {minority} man/women with a, lets say, 3.75 GPA. Due to supporting Minorities that minority is likely to be accepted ANYDAY over the white male.
It doesn't matter if that white male worked ten times more than the minority he is likely to be pushed away so the university isn't considered "racist". How is this equal rights?

Saying you're not discriminative or racist isn't the solution. Not noticing a difference is the solution.

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2005 18:03      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
alfrin wrote:
Saying you're not discriminative or racist isn't the solution. Not noticing a difference is the solution.

And to quote from the movie Bulworth: "All we need is a voluntary, free-spirited, open-ended program of procreative racial deconstruction. Everybody just gotta keep f***in' everybody 'til they're all the same color"

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 10, 2005 22:10      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought this thread would be about something like lesbianism.

Instead, it is about a lack of right wing politics on this board.

We know we are right, we don't need to post about it.

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2005 20:31      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the vast majority of posters here tend to be from the Left end of the political spectrum. I've learned to deal with it.

As for the French riots...The French brought this on themselves. It's long been known that the banlieus were almost separatist in nature, and the French gendarmes considered them "no-go" areas. (In fact, the real reason the riots started may have been because of a violation of one of those "no-go" areas by the police.) You bring in cheap labor from another country, you warehouse them, and you make no effort to integrate them into their new country, and stuff like this happens. Particularly when many of them follow a certain brand of violent ideology...and yes, I'm talking about Islam. Funny how the media reports fail to mention that little detail...

Now, the riots don't appear to be jihad in the making...yet. But this situation basically creates a fertile growth medium for pathologic organisms like al-Qaeda and other terrorist groups.

And there are similar situations all over Europe. Now, I'm not going to say that this is the first stage of the conversion of Europe into "Eurabia." But I'm not going to say it isn't, either. (And, in fact, it may not be the "first"...)

But what scares me is this: If the riots boil over into full-scale civil war in France...and if this results in an Islamist takeover of the French government...France has nuclear weapons.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2005 21:53      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo:
But what scares me is this: If the riots boil over into full-scale civil war in France...and if this results in an Islamist takeover of the French government...France has nuclear weapons.

Islamist takeover of France?
Muslims are less than 10% of the population.

Take your medicine and have a good lie down Erbo, you'll feel better in no time.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10670 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2005 22:13      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo:

Islamist takeover of France?
Muslims are less than 10% of the population.

Take your medicine and have a good lie down Erbo, you'll feel better in no time.

No worries on that side Erbo, living next door I can tell you that it is calming down.

Anyway, the French right-wing outnumbers the Muslim population and we should be more afraid of them taking over, legally.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Black_Pearls_and_Lace
Geek Larva
Member # 4586

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2005 05:06      Profile for Black_Pearls_and_Lace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
France IS extremely xenophobic and reluctant to implement a more humane multicultural policy, and not only when it comes to visible minorities. My white, eastern-European, PhD-student friend, who has two degrees in French Lit from Sorbonne has to put up with hairdressers asking condescendingly "Vous avez un accent?" And she hardly has anything that can be qualified as an accent.

The effort to integrate immigrants, including those with postdoctoral education, is minimal. Even those who try their mightiest to assimilate are subjected to a patronizing, demeaning treatment. So it's no wonder that there is even more phobia of the "great unwashed masses" of refugees from former colonies, who are only trying to escape the poverty induced by reckless colonization - the "exploit, run, and don't worry about consequences" approach.

I'm not at any cost defending violence, but I imagine that there comes a time when the cup runneth over. There are sensible ways to deal with immigrants, and while Canada has its flaws, as a candidate to immigration myself, I can say that the process is a lot more civilized. There are programmes which at least try to provide immigrants with the necessary skills and the atmosphere is friendly to skilled workers with decent language skills. Suppressing their culture, isolating them in ghettos, demonizing them, ignoring the abject poverty and the ravages of economic and social Darwinism is not bound to produce any results. If you don't try to sensibly integrate people into the job market, to offer the youth a way out, you're only perpetuating the burden on the social security system.

Honestly, I think that they need to rethink their policies, rethink how human rights are observed, and come up with visible improvements in a short time. Those immigrants aren't going anywhere, so instead of letting them fester, they might just as well make an effort to help them (at least the young ones, who are still recuperable).

Now, moving on to England, when I visited in the mid-90s, I was not impressed. I found that I was miserably treated for no other reason than being from eastern-Europe, although the British folks I met in the US and Canada have been really fantastic people. So I suppose it may depend on the level of education and of exposure to the world. I imagine people have started to come to terms with Brick Lane being "Paki" now, but my impression was that there is still a push for assimilation, rather than cultural acceptance.

Granted, like someone else said, Europeans have a well-defined sense of identity, but boundaries aren't as clear-cut. Up to the late 19th-century, there was a lot of free travel, free exchange of ideas, intellectuals roamed the continent, and there was nothing wrong with being English in Italy or in Paris, for example. I'm not sure what changed - perhaps the wars had something to do with it, along with the Iron Curtain. Overall, I think that it is during the 20th century that nationalism escalated to the point of intolerance, but I may be wrong - I'm not a historian. What I don't understand is how anyone think the EU will function if we cling to those nationalistic ideals and don't learn anything from societies with more experience in multiculturalism.

--------------------
HwÆT, we Gar-Dena in geardagum theodcyninga...

Posts: 28 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2005 05:15      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black_Pearls_and_Lace:
Honestly, I think that they need to rethink their policies...

What utter tripe. The policies aren't the problem. French laws regarding ethnicity and cultural integration make a lot of sense. It is illegal in France for your race or religion to be an issue in employment and education, etc. It is illegal to query someone's race or religion in any application form. The problem is not the law: the problem is cultural.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2005 05:58      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I imagine people have started to come to terms with Brick Lane being "Paki" now, but my impression was that there is still a push for assimilation, rather than cultural acceptance.
A friend of mine lived in the Brick Lane area for several years. The majority of non-white faces he saw were Bangladeshis, with the usual sprinkling of Bengalis, Pakistanis, Kurds, Afghanis etc etc. He didn't see any 'Pakis'. Furthermore, the people in that area did not need to "come to terms" with their fellow residents being ethnically diverse, it was, and I assume still is, something to celebrate.
Two observations follow:
1) Perhaps it wasn't your ethnicity that resulted in you being "treated miserably" whilst in England.
2) This is another occasion when I wish I knew a direct female equivalent for the term 'patronise'.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
musicbunnydancing
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3756

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2005 05:59      Profile for musicbunnydancing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
I cannot help myself. I have to wonder why, considering the number posts in the recent past critcising not only the government but also the citizens of the US for our race-based troubles, there has not been so much as a single comment on the GC boards relative to the riots in France? Is France above criticism? Oh, oh. It looks like French Fries for dinner again tonight... [shake head]

No, being French has not kept people from commenting upon the act that have happened here. I fact of the matter is the coloured people and white people just do not get along very well. Add the the fact that 25% of people here do not hold jobs, well as you can guess more whites here have jobs then blacks.
Posts: 46 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2005 12:54      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why don't they get along well? There's got to be a reason for that.

The US ain't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but one thing we do do is give our situation the occasional long, hard look. Maybe France should do the same?

I think there's a fine line between assimilation and, for lack of a better term, ghettofication. Immigrants shouldn't feel like they've had to hide their identity, but they shouldn't feel like they've been locked up in some neighborhood and had the key thrown away. I've read that a fair number of people in the suburbs of Paris never learned French, and it's very difficult to live in a foreign country without knowing the language. Offering immigrants free language lessons might be a good place to start.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2005 16:47      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Erbo's been spending too much time on those weird right wing propaganda sites like Jihad Watch. They try to make the case that militant Islam has taken over mainstream Islam, and that all Muslims want to take over the world. Believing paranoid piffle like that is the dangerous situation you get into when you reject all conventional media as being part of a liberal conspiracy.

I wish you could have a little more contact with actual Muslims Erbo, and so let a little reality into your world. To the best of my knowledge even militant Islam does not have quite the world wide ambition you credit it with, They would like to see Islamic states controlling all their holy places, so their actual political ambitions relate mainly to Palestine and Saudi Arabia.

Personally I simply cannot understand why anyone in an "enlightened" era tolerates dangerous religious fundamentalist involvement in politics, from whatever quarter. It seems obvious to me that there are few things more scary than a political leader who believes he has a hot line to God.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2005 17:40      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eh, I think he just reads the Denver Post a little too much. Either that or the Rocky Mountain News. Both of them aren't fit for much more than the funny pages, the movie schedule, and lining Talkeetna's cage. The Daily Camera isn't much better. The Front Range really needs a quality newspaper. :/ Until then, there's the BBC website. Too bad the BBC doesn't report on anything local. [Razz]

Judging Islam by the extremists is about as sensible as judging Christianity by Pat Robertson or the people who think Jesus wants them to shoot doctors and blow up abortion clinics, or Judaism by the jackass who shot Yitzhak Rabin. Further, most of the young people rioting in France were born in France. They are in France because their parents chose to move to France, probably because they were not happy with what was happening at home. Some may turn to extremism, but if they do so it's not because Islam is inherently like that, it's because they're miserable and frustrated and think that violence and fundamentalism will somehow improve their lot. Sort of like how other young people in other places turn to an extreme version of their religion, or nationalism, or racial supremecy, or doing drugs.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted November 14, 2005 18:57      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Talkeetna

I love guinea pigs. Now I just have to think of somethign relevant tot his thread to post...

I guess what I'm wondering is, is this problem specific to France? In my gov class we were talking about whether or not it would spill over into Germany and Spain: Germany because of the turks, and spain because of the muslim minorities there.

What are your thoughts?

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2005 05:29      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the moment I think this is very much a French problem, and though there may be some superficial similarities, particularly in Germany, there are not quite the same cultural conditions, which has created a social inflexibility in France, and the current sense of political paralysis there.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture