homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » AARGH! Fonts!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: AARGH! Fonts!
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted November 01, 2005 18:17      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I don't know what's wrong with Suitcase, but it really messed up my fonts. According to MS Word and Pages I had fonts installed that didn't exist on my system (System/Library/Fonts, Library/Fonts, Users/me/Library/Fonts) after I tried unsuccessfully to use Suitecase to install and manage my fonts.

So, I though to myself, maybe I should remove all the fonts on my system and start over. Now, I've been using Linux for some time, and one thing I know about *Nix systems is that most everything for the OS gets loaded into memory. Knowing this, I though it would be safe to remove *all* my fonts and reload them from my system install disk. Um...no, bad idea. So, now I've had to reinstall the system. Luckily, though, while I reinstall some other software that got hosed I can do other things, like type this up. At least that's better than with Windows where you can't do anything else with the system while it installs new software.

Anyway, back to my rant. AAAAARRRRGGHHH!!! FONTS!!! Do any of you know why Suitcase keeps crapping out on OS X (10.4.3)? I would like to use something a little more robust than Font Book to manage my fonts (I have over 10,000), but Suitcase seems unusable as well as keeps messing up my system fonts.

*Sigh* Oh well, it's not like I wanted to do something else entertaining tonight.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2005 21:31      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last I heard Suitcase does not work properly with Tiger.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2005 06:26      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is nothing wrong with Suitcase on Tiger... I should know I use it all day everyday to manage my 10,000+ fonts...

What version of Suitcase do you have? You need the latest X1 (11.0.4) for Tiger a.

Lastly fonts can live in... System/Library/Fonts or Library/Fonts or Users/You/Library/Fonts and some can also be found in Library/Application Support/app that put them in there

Adobe are quite good at this little stunt... and Microsoft Office dumps fonts all over the bleeding shop...

Fonts that you are going to use with Suitcase should be placed in a suitable folder which is *not* one of the folders the system uses to manage fonts... and be aware that there are a few notorious fonts that have a tendency to mash nastily with some system fonts... I personally remove the Apple supplied (.dfont) versions of Arial, Times and Helvetica/Helvetica Neue as they play merry hell with any other Arial/Times/Helvetica you attempt to activate. I actually remove all the non essential .dfonts but that is another matter...

Any font named xxx "Narrow" is also highly suspect (and has been since System 6.... quite likely before) and should be treated with extreme suspicion - turn on Helvetica Narrow for example and every other Helvetica in existance will go screwy on you...

If you really can't get Suitcase working right consider trying Linotype FontExplorer X which has pretty much all the functionality of Suitcase and is free...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2005 10:35      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't explain the Pages problem, but the MS Office suite has access to some fonts of its own, which are installed somewhere other than the usual places. Just a few fairly basic ones though.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2005 11:23      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I higly recomend you use the copy of Font doctor that came with Suitcase... It can help you find problem fonts... once you have weeded out your fonts you can replace them with FRESH NEW copies... i don't mean backups... your back ups might be borked. The issue here is that although suitcase is a great and widely used product.... I has one flaw. It will allow you to load BORKED fonts. wheareas other utilities don't... under OS 9 ATM deluxe did a great job... too bad it's been deep sixed for further development.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2005 12:09      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions. Pretty much I already figured out where all the fonts live, and that MS Office does whatever it wants. I was trying the latest and greated Suitcase, X1, which kept crashing on me as I tried to load in fonts (not all 10,000+ at one time). It seems that whatever fonts I was loading in were activated immediately, then the app crashed, leaving fonts activated. However, when I restarted Suitcase, the fonts didn't show up, and I couldn't get them to show if I tried reloading them. So, I had phantom fonts running, but they didn't show up anywhere where they should have.

In the end, I had to reinstall the system due to my own stupidity. I decided that the best remedy would be to remove as many fonts as possible to try and isolate the phantoms. Appearantly, removing all fonts from the System/Library/Fonts folder is a bad idea, even if you have fonts in the Library/Fonts folder. And, yes, every OS I've worked with for more than 5 minutes I've been able to crash. It's a gift. [crazy]

My poor, shiny new Mac mini. Oh, the fun we'll have. [evil]

--------------------
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2005 12:15      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, also, I forgot to add that all the fonts that I have have already been through the ringer with FontDoctor. So, they should all be happy, shiny and rehabilitated. (Poor Times New Roman had that drinking problem for a while, but seems to be on the wagon. The stress and fame got to be too much.)

--------------------
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture