homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » I want my Alpha-Bits back!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I want my Alpha-Bits back!
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2005 09:11      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This weekend I picked up a box of Alpha-Bits . It had been years since I had them and they were calling to me for their sugary goodness. Today I pour a bowl and notice they look different, then I notice in big letters on the box "New 0 grams of Sugar"! They no longer make them with sugar! [Mad] Nor do they make them with artifical sweetners (not that I'd want nutra-sweet ones), they are competing with cheerios it seems.

-

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kinguy
Geek
Member # 4527

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2005 10:35      Profile for Kinguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

The-Tech
Geek
Member # 2506

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2005 10:42      Profile for The-Tech     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WTF !!!! It's bad enough they took the word sugar out of all the names ...
Sugar Smacks
Sugar Frosted Flakes
Sugar Corn Pops

But to actually take the sugar out ... that is just unnatural. on the other hand the underground cereal business should be booming ...
PSSST Wanna buy some QUISP

--------------------
God not only plays dice with the universe,
he sometimes throws them where they cannot be seen
--- Stephen Hawking

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject -- Winston Churchill

Posts: 128 | From: Third Stone from the Sun | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
YaYawoman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 4505

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2005 16:56      Profile for YaYawoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is nothing sacred anymore?

Maybe the food companies that jumped on the whole this is good for you bandwagon should try some opposition sales/marketing. Remember Jolt(All The Sugar, Twice The Caffeine) I can see it now: Revisit your childhood, Sugar Up. They can put a disclaimer on it like "Must be 18 Yrs old to purchase this cereal" HeeHee

Posts: 765 | From: virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2005 18:10      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The funny thing is, the cereal companies removed the sugar labels from their cereals, but they have as much sugar, if not more, as they did before. Alpha-Bits being the exception, apparently.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted November 01, 2005 18:24      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
This weekend I picked up a box of Alpha-Bits . It had been years since I had them and they were calling to me for their sugary goodness. Today I pour a bowl and notice they look different, then I notice in big letters on the box "New 0 grams of Sugar"! They no longer make them with sugar! [Mad] Nor do they make them with artifical sweetners (not that I'd want nutra-sweet ones), they are competing with cheerios it seems.

-

Actually, it appears that Alphabits have surpassed Cheerios in the lack of sugary goodness.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2005 19:35      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my first real 'culture shock' moments upon arriving in the US was walking down the breakfast cereal isle in a supermarket, and seeing the huge variety of extremely sugary crap on offer. Even buying varieties we knew from oz, the US ones were noticable sweeter.

As a parent, I know how hyper my little ones can be when they've been hitting the red cordial, and I sometimes wonder if the high rate of violent crime in the US might be at least partly due to your high sugar intake.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2005 19:44      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you convert the amount of sugar in a serving of Frosted Flakes to teaspoons, it comes out to roughly 10 teaspoons. I've heard it suggested that you put a box of corn flakes and a sugar bowl on the table and urge your kid to dump on as much sugar as s/he wants. Very rarely will they actually pass 4 teaspoons, and even so, that's much less than 10!

I love my raisin bran and 100% All-Bran mixed with Golden Grahams or Life. I'm running out of Life, so I'm gonna make granola one of these days (once I finally pick up some wheat germ or oat bran). YUMMM!!

--------------------

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2005 20:00      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny you should mention about corn flakes and spooning on sugar, because that is the way my family did it. My parents didn't buy the sugared cereals, partly because they didn't like giving us all that sugar, and partly because it was cheaper to do it that way. We didn't drink very much soda, either.

My tastes developed around that, so I don't like to eat those kinds of cereals today. With diabetes becoming more and more common, I'm glad I grew up that way.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2005 20:09      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FireSnake:
Actually, it appears that Alphabits have surpassed Cheerios in the lack of sugary goodness.

Someone told me that Honey Nut Cheerios are now pretty much lacking in taste. I find that to be a real shame, as I used to enjoy getting them every now and then, as I rather like them. (However, I don't need to have that kind of sweetness all the time.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2005 20:17      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sxept, that's how I was raised, too. I can't stand eating only sugar cereals now... I need some substance, hence all that bran. [Big Grin]

--------------------

jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2005 20:59      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
I'm running out of Life

That's rather alarmist talk, dontcha think?
Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2005 21:08      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL. How'd I know someone would make a comment about that?! [Razz]

--------------------

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 02, 2005 11:31      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay, I'm not the only one that liked Alpha-Bits!! [Applause]

I wish you hadn't brought it up, though, because I had almost made my peace with the change. Did you actually taste the damn things? They may say "Just like Cheerios!!!11!!!!1!" on the box, but I took one bite out of my first no-sugar Alpha-Sux box and threw the rest of the box away. It was like chewing moist cardboard, except the cardboard tastes better. They don't even crunch.

OK, OK, I'm going to move on now before I get all grumpy again.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted November 02, 2005 16:29      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Froot Loops -- did they lose all their flavour, or are my 40-year-old taste buds busted? (It's great having kids, you actually have an excuse for picking up a box of this stuff!)
Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 03, 2005 13:41      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe if people would just eat less, we could still have normal foods. It isn't always the type of food people eat as it is how much they eat, though a lot of refined carbs are bad for you. Ever since I enlisted and have been eating normal sized meals, I have really dropped weight. Oh and a little bit of exercise never hurt anyone. I think its something around 60% of your daily food intake should be carbs. I could be wrong but I know it is a good portion of your recommended diet.
Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture