homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Racism and xenophobia (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Racism and xenophobia
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2005 20:29      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody seen that damn gaudy Parrot? It was around here just a minute ago...

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2005 21:23      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Norwegian Blue?
Lovely bird squire, beautiful plumage.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2005 22:25      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Norwegian Blue?
Lovely bird squire, beautiful plumage.

...returning the the subject of xenophobia...."The plumage don't enter into it" ...or at least it shouldn't!
Are we done now?

PS- Thanks to the very wise Druid for the feed line [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2005 00:33      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing to keep in mind is that many members of the radical Left seem to have redefined "racist" as "anyone who disagrees with me on how different races should be treated." This tends to squelch a lot of debates on the subject, including debates that our society should be having, because no one likes being called a racist.

They've also redefined other words in a similar fashion, such as "sexist," "bigot," and "homophobe."

Oddly enough, many of these same radicals will go out of their way to attack people such as Michelle Malkin and La Shawn Barber with racial slurs as ugly as any ever used by real racists. The "crime" these two have committed? Being conservative despite being nonwhite and female. (Malkin is Filipina; Barber is black, and an evangelical Christian to boot.) Honestly, some of the messages of hate they've received from the supposedly-enlightened Left are so ugly, I don't even want to link to them, let alone retype them here.

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2005 05:40      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I've got a lovely fresh cuttle fish for you."

--------------------

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2005 09:46      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Toledo incident received a lot of news coverage here in Ohio, as one might expect.

I listen to a college radio show called Guerilla Radio. They had an interview with someone who was actually in Toledo at the time.

According to him, what started out as a demonstration against the Nazis quickly turned into an anti-police riot. The police had been assisting the Nazis, helping them coordinate, and so on -- not just standing guard. The people of the neighborhood had a long-standing feeling of resentment toward the police based on the treatment they've been receiving over a long period of time. When the "riot" started, it was primarily aimed at the police, not at the Nazis, who had already departed.

(You can get a 56k stream of the show's archive to hear the interview, but only until the next show airs.)

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The-Tech
Geek
Member # 2506

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2005 11:10      Profile for The-Tech     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by greycat:
The Toledo incident received a lot of news coverage here in Ohio, as one might expect.

I listen to a college radio show called Guerilla Radio. They had an interview with someone who was actually in Toledo at the time.

According to him, what started out as a demonstration against the Nazis quickly turned into an anti-police riot. The police had been assisting the Nazis, helping them coordinate, and so on -- not just standing guard. The people of the neighborhood had a long-standing feeling of resentment toward the police based on the treatment they've been receiving over a long period of time. When the "riot" started, it was primarily aimed at the police, not at the Nazis, who had already departed.

(You can get a 56k stream of the show's archive to hear the interview, but only until the next show airs.)

From the Website
Guerilla Radio clears the haze of corporate media, brings you news, views, and interviews of opressed people all around the world.

I can't hear the actual interview, which I would prefer before judgement. Sorry if at this point I feel the report may be a little biased after reading the mission statement ...

From the Website
Guerilla Radio clears the haze of corporate media, brings you news, views, and interviews of opressed people all around the world.

I still think either way the riot did nothing but destroy the neighborhood that the rioters live in ... if the police were cooperating with the Nazis film and send it to every Nes Show in the country, not a big task these days. Destroying your own neighborhood doesn't lend credence to your cause only theirs

--------------------
God not only plays dice with the universe,
he sometimes throws them where they cannot be seen
--- Stephen Hawking

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject -- Winston Churchill

Posts: 128 | From: Third Stone from the Sun | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
The-Tech
Geek
Member # 2506

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2005 11:32      Profile for The-Tech     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK Greycat --

I found it and listened to the Interview ... seems like the police were there to handle any problems ... there is a vauge reference to coordinateing with the nazi's ... The interviewer does not try to clarify coordinateing with the nazis.

It seems the problem started when someone in the crowd started throwing eggs.

The interviewer and the interviewe keep saying the police were protecting the nazi's. The slant of both people seems to be ant-police.

I'm not sure what the protesters expected from the police. Should they be allowed to string up the nazi's becase of their beliefs ? Are they angry because the police are not patrolling the neighborhood 24/7. Finally did the riot help the neighborhood in any way ?
BTW I don't agree with the nazi's and I fully support the right for the neighborhood to protest. I just wish they would have used their heads instead oftheir hearts because in the end they suffered.

Thanks for the link

--------------------
God not only plays dice with the universe,
he sometimes throws them where they cannot be seen
--- Stephen Hawking

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject -- Winston Churchill

Posts: 128 | From: Third Stone from the Sun | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2005 20:03      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, Jeezuz,

Y'all ain't got that cross lit, yet?

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2005 20:08      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The policeman isn't there to create disorder, the policeman is there to preserve disorder." - Mayor Richard Daley of Chicago.
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2005 21:52      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
"The policeman isn't there to create disorder, the policeman is there to preserve disorder." - Mayor Richard Daley of Chicago.

Father and son both were born speechmakers.

--------------------

ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted October 29, 2005 17:38      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound?
... and if Neo-Nazis "march" while everyone else does something better with their lives (like watch TV), who cares?

From what I've read:14 neo-Nazi "walked on the sidewalks." They didn't throw any rocks or set anything on fire. They left. No violations of any laws. By the way, having 14 people that "support" a cause is hardly impressive; it's trivial.

On the other hand, some people don't like the police. After seeing thousands of dollars worth of damage, the same people apparently don't like cars, convenience stores, homes (of others), and paramedics. Most importantly, none of the property belonged to neo-Nazis.

The few people that vandalized property and broke into a convenience store were thugs -- it's that simple. (34 juveniles faced charges in the riots; 114 people were arrested on charges including assault, vandalism, failure to obey police, failure to disperse and overnight curfew violations.)

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture