homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Another modern myth

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another modern myth
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 08:05      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the past 10 years or thereabouts, I have been hearing and reading about all the "scientific evidence" that many foods are dangerous for infants due to potential allergy development or other bad reactions. I've always found that interesting because I can't recall any incidents of such reactions in my own generation, nor in our daughter's generation (they're in their 30's now). But I'm regularly told that our grandchildren can't have such and such until after they've reached the age of one year or two years.

Check it out, as is seems I'm not alone in my suspicions about this modern psuedo-scientific mythology.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 10:43      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's mostly myths. Kids are developing more allergies and reactions than they used to because we keep their environment too clean. Everything is disinfected and sanitized to the point where children are not developing proper immunological response systems. Here is just one reference http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/1031002421.html

A related common myth is that many of the childhood vaccines are "bad" for you and should be avoided. These same parents who espouse that philosophy often justify avoiding the vaccinations because their child will be protected by the herd effect of everyone else having been vaccinated. This is doubly stupid - as our population is becoming increasingly globally mobile, we're seeing more and more people show up in the US with diseases that "don't exist anymore" here. Immigrants and travelers are importing them anew.

Have a chat with a pediatrician in any major city and you'll get an earful.

Posts: 2867 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 11:16      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also often find myself baffled by the society of germophobes that seems to be growing. In the middle ages it was demons and spirits that needed to be warded off, but nowadays it's bacteria and viruses.

quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:

as our population is becoming increasingly globally mobile, we're seeing more and more people show up in the US with diseases that "don't exist anymore" here. Immigrants and travelers are importing them anew.

Yep. The same goes with parasites and many types of pests. For example, I always thought bedbugs were some kind of mythical creature, as I'd never heard of someone actually having them. Then a girl brought them into her dorm room in a blanket from her boyfriend, who had recently been overseas. Bedbugs were apparently virtually eliminated in this country back in the days of DDT.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 12:20      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bed bugs are a problem in Europe, which is why the hostel I stayed at in France wouldn't let me use my sleeping bag.

quantumfluff, whooping cough is on the comeback because when there aren't enough members of the herd that have been immunized, herd immunity no longer exists. It's fscking free-loading to not vaccinate your kids and expect everyone else to get shots for theirs so an outbreak doesn't satrt. It's also echild endangerment. THere's a reason these vaccines were developed. Whooping cough kills babies. Diptheria just kills, as does tetanus. Measles can cause brain damage. Polio causes paralysis. The mumps can cause sterility. Rubella causes birth defects. And on and on we go. I had all my shots because my parents got their immunity to the measles and the mumps and rubella the hard way - they got sick. They remember lining up in the gym for their polio vaccines. They remember how thrilled their parents were. They also have scars from their smallpox inoculations. I think that part of the reason why kids aren't getting vaccinated now is it's people in my generation that are having the babies, and we never had to live through the diseases kids are getting shots for.

I think this fear of germs is replacing the fear of evil spirits because it's natural for us to fear what we can't see or know. Fearing germs is just like fearing demons, it's just the word that's different. Instead of nailing iron over the door and wearing amulets we lysol everything, but it's the same basic principle. If I do ____ then the bad things in the air can't get me.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7667 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 13:42      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You all gotta eat a barrel o' dirt afore ye die...

That is what my Nana used to say... never figured out if it meant it'd take a barrel of dirt ingestion to kill you or you'd eat a barrel full in your life time...

Either way I think the gist was a little bit of dirt won't kill you...

I don't think that food hygine is a trivial matter, botulism, e-coli, etc. etc. are serious and dangerous but at the same time I don't go into paroxysms if Ruth or Danielle drop a biscuit on the floor and then eat it... Most toddlers seem to feel the need to "fur coat" everything before eating it anyway...

I have my children vaccinated, I observe reasonable food hygine (don't mix raw and cooked meat etc.) but i don't go round disinfecting everything all the time... You need a certain level of exposure to common or garden mild microrganisms to keep your body on its toes

As to don't feed baby (fill in as applicable); most of it is worse than old wives' tales... at least those usually had a grain of truth in them... not some trendy pseudo scientific techno/psycho babble aimed to sell you the book or the latest "best for baby" feeding plan...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1922 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 13:55      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
society of germophobes that seems to be growing.

I wonder... shouldn't that read colony of germophobes? [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 13:58      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And so the infection spreads...

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7667 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 14:17      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that vaccination is sensible, and basic food hygiene is important, but I am definitely in the camp that believes we over-sterilise everything nowadays.
And talking about micro-organisms, what's with these "friendly bacteria" digestive products??? You don't need a Yakult every day, gut flora reproduce mmmkay?

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 14:28      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
A related common myth is that many of the childhood vaccines are "bad" for you and should be avoided. These same parents who espouse that philosophy often justify avoiding the vaccinations because their child will be protected by the herd effect of everyone else having been vaccinated.

What really annoys me is the people who are actively running a scare campaign against vaccinations.

I was having a go at a friend for not vaccinating her kids, and she dragged out a mountain of literature from the 'vaccination is evil' lobby. Very professionally done, these people could run courses in black propaganda. They twist statistics to make it look like you're putting your kid in dire peril if you let the evil doctors fill them with their vile concoctions. Nowhere in the literature was it mentioned that in my parents day, just about everyone had a sibling or classmate die of one of the then-common childhood diseases. It's not surprising that people who don't know better could be frightened off by that sort of stuff.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10458 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 14:49      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You sent your friend to the DHMO site right, TFD?

I think we over sterilize too. I also think there is something to be said for state of mind. Those who think they will get sick (and stay sick), get sick and stay sick... Those who think they won't, get sick less often and it's durration is shorter lived.

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 15:32      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

I was having a go at a friend for not vaccinating her kids, and she dragged out a mountain of literature from the 'vaccination is evil' lobby. Very professionally done, these people could run courses in black propaganda. They twist statistics to make it look like you're putting your kid in dire peril if you let the evil doctors fill them with their vile concoctions. Nowhere in the literature was it mentioned that in my parents day, just about everyone had a sibling or classmate die of one of the then-common childhood diseases. It's not surprising that people who don't know better could be frightened off by that sort of stuff.

It reminds me of something I read years ago called "The Great Tomato Conspiracy" (IIRC), which was a parody of those types of statistics. It basically used statistics to "demonstrate" that tomatoes are the source of all the world's troubles. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find it again, despite my best efforts, and I don't remember who wrote it.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
freewaybear
Newbie Larva
Member # 4488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2005 10:23      Profile for freewaybear         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder how much of an overall effect (on babies immune systems) feeding them baby formula over the last few generations has had...

--------------------
Registered Linux user #404114
Registered Ubuntu user #24577

Posts: 9 | From: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.