homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Just my opinion, but ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just my opinion, but ...
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 11 posted October 04, 2005 20:47      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The iPod Nano is without a doubt the most incredible thing ever invented by humanity.

Eradication of Smallpox? You're gonna die anyway.

Air conditioning? Ironically contributes to global warming.

New excuses why Gee-Dubya went to war in Iraq? Hey, Abe Lincoln aready said there were some people you could fool all the time.

But I have everything from "Slipknot" to Schubert to Dwight Yokum on a polished stick of gum.

Just incredible.

And no "Hootie and the Blowfish," either -- even pay radio can't do that!

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted October 04, 2005 21:29      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw and held one for the first time yesterday... they are sweet! [hearts]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 22:27      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love em but a couple of the guys at work said that they will not drum up one because it was too pint-sized for their hands.

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 04:52      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matias:
I love em but a couple of the guys at work said that they will not drum up one because it was too pint-sized for their hands.

Maybe another gap in the market for Apple to exploit. The super chunky iPod Mano [Smile]

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 05:18      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My seven-year-old is standing here telling me in all seriousness that the new iPod is "pretty sweet." You see, it is also a robot vacuum cleaner-- you just have to attach a bag to it. I'll ask him for more details on this interesting finding.
Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 06:25      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having stubby fingers, I have found that the older more buttony MP3 players are the ones for me. I also like a cell phone that i can "mash the buttons" on. and one with an antenna!
Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 06:39      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, but all iPods are still just overpriced plastic. $200 USD for 2GB. Too much money. My 512MB mp3 player was like 20 bucks Canadian and it plays the same songs.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 09:47      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with the newfie there.

I bought my Nomad back during the time of the 10GB iPods. And I was able to get twice the storage for about 25 dollars less. Granted it is a bigger player. But it isn't like I do more with it than play it while I am commuting or sitting at my desk here at work.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 11:33      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will stick with the "bulkier" original ipod 20GB I got last spring. There is such a thing as too small, and apple has hit it. I am a fairly large person (in bulk, not necessarily fat) and I am just afraid I will break the thing. Plus, if it isn't broken or over 2 years old, don't fix it.
Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 13:45      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Overpriced?

What have you guys been smoking?

Current prices here in oz: 2G iPod nano $A 299, 4G $A 359
Mrs Druid is a teacher, so education prices are $A 269 and $A 323

Current price for USB pen-drives from local computer retailer: 2G $A 225, 4G $A 450, no education discount.
(and these prices have dropped quite a bit since the nano was released - competition is a wonderful thing)

So, if you're a student or teacher who wants 4G of USB storage, you'll save $A 127 by getting the iPod.
The 2G, with colour screen, battery, and earbuds is a mere $A 44 more than the equivalent sized USB key.

That's pretty good value.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 14:05      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD: That's not bad at all. For awhile, I've been hearing about big markup on Apple exports. A$323 is about $246 USD, which is $3 short of the full priced 4 GB model. OTOH, the 4 GB Nano goes for $229 here with edu. pricing, which is about A$300. That's not shabby.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 14:54      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing to remember when comparing US and aussie prices is the sales tax.

Aussie prices will include the 10% federal GST, while US prices are usually quoted pre-tax.

So, the $A 323 is $A 294 + $A 29 GST,
which translates to $US 222 + tax.

Apple do sometimes charge quite a bit more here than in the US, and other times not. A lot depends on exchange rate fluctuations (Apple use the same exchange-rate for a whole year - and build in a safety margin in case they guess wrong), plus the good old what-the-market-will-bear thing.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 18:33      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a couple reasons why US companies rarely quote their price with tax. One is marketing. It looks cheaper without tax. The second is there's no federal state tax and therefore tax rates vary from state to state and also vary within states as cities and counties impose their own sales taxes on top of any existing state rate. When we purchase products by mail order we can sometimes duck sales taxes if the company we order from is out of state, but I think some states charge you no matter what.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 19:02      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NY has a law that's been on the books for years, but which they added to the IT-201 (state income tax / equiv. of 1040 for NY) about 2 years ago, which would like to reclaim any sales tax they believe they are owed. So long as you don't make any purchases over a grand that you haven't paid NY sales tax on, you're cool, as there is a general table you're allowed to use to declare a 'decent' number. I think when they first did it, I put down $6. [Razz] However, the biggie is that if you put down "0," and that's not true, they can go after you big time. Some companies, such as Apple, do charge sales tax - so I did pay as such for my Mini & Tiger...even though I bought them online, and they weren't shipped from NY (the Mini - China; Tiger, a warehouse in PA). Bah humbug!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 19:14      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea, I'm going to be moving to Schenectady next year, and I hear that NY sales tax sucks. At least it isn't as bad as NYC.
Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 05, 2005 21:56      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
NY has a law that's been on the books for years, but which they added to the IT-201 (state income tax / equiv. of 1040 for NY) about 2 years ago, which would like to reclaim any sales tax they believe they are owed. So long as you don't make any purchases over a grand that you haven't paid NY sales tax on, you're cool, as there is a general table you're allowed to use to declare a 'decent' number. I think when they first did it, I put down $6. [Razz] However, the biggie is that if you put down "0," and that's not true, they can go after you big time. Some companies, such as Apple, do charge sales tax - so I did pay as such for my Mini & Tiger...even though I bought them online, and they weren't shipped from NY (the Mini - China; Tiger, a warehouse in PA). Bah humbug!
Last I checked it was set to $100 in NY. That is awsome [Big Grin]

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2005 06:08      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

A friend of mine returned his nano for the same reason: the buttons weren't definite enough to fiddle with while he was running.

My shuffle, however, works just fine for that and the lack of a click wheel is not a problem.

As a matter of fact, I went swimming with my iPod shuffle last night. I got an OtterBox for it and happily did some laps while catching up on the Wizards of Technology with Digital Bill. Now that is beautiful, from an engineering perspective at least! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
bull3t
Assimilated
Member # 852

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2005 12:58      Profile for bull3t     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
damn apple fans.

i mean, uh.. DEATH TO WINDOWS! yeah, thats it.

--------------------
GC's Mosthated.
"I donít care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it."
-William S Burroughs

Posts: 435 | From: Ogden, UT | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 06, 2005 14:20      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Last I checked it was set to $100 in NY. That is awsome [Big Grin]

http://www.tax.state.ny.us/pit/use_tax_calc_it201_it203.htm
You'd have to be making a lot money for that... [Razz]

You're probably talking about the amount the goods cost, though. [Wink]

--------------------

Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 06, 2005 16:18            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will there be a Nano-sized version of the PodderPouch? [Big Grin]
IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture