homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » ATTENTION GC MEMBERS v. posting polls

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ATTENTION GC MEMBERS v. posting polls
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 2 posted October 01, 2005 19:00      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don't do it

at least not in the main forum sections

you wanna post a poll, do it in the superfan section where it won't bother the rest of us

quote:

FYI
Sorry, you do not have permission to use the polling feature. Only SuperFans may create and/or vote in polls.

rather annoying and actually kinda pisses me off that this can be posted in the main forum(s)

a bit like a slap in the face [Mad]

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2005 21:05      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you need a slap in the face. [Applause]
Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2005 21:22      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No I kind of agree, or at least make it so you don't have to vote to see the results, I don't currently have the ability to obtain a Superfan membership

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2005 21:43      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do, but I kinda want all of my money going towards a car right now. Government pay isn't really the best in the world until you have been there for more than 15 years, and even then you can make way more in the civilian sector.
Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2005 21:53      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure Snaggy intends to have this working for everyone (to vote/view, not to make polls), but there are still some kinks to be worked out in UBB.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 01, 2005 21:56      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, adding new features takes a bit of work before its actually usuable, I think we non payers can survive for a while

--------------------

Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2005 02:58      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As they say in France, C'est tough. Freeloaders have no say, it's the way of the world.
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2005 09:58      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quoting Snaggy:
In the hopes of attracting more folks to SuperFandom, I've added the ability to create polls and vote in polls in all the Forums now (for SuperFans only though).

There may be a few other members who can vote and create polls still, (mainly older members), but eventually I will track you all down and extinguish that power.

It seems that non-Superfans will never be able to post or vote, then. I tried immediately, of course, to see if Snaggy had tracked me down, but he was just too darn quick [Wink] .

It's quite distressing, yes, but, to paraphrase Allan, c'est la vie. It's a nice touch for Superfans, and if it really annoys you, then don't bother reading those threads, I guess [ohwell]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2005 12:07      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Makes sense to me. I'll stop complaining. Maybe I can get a membership soon.

--------------------

-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2005 12:10      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
quoting Snaggy:
[b]...There may be a few other members who can...

ffs, *i'm* one of the older memebers
i been here for far longer than what my join date over there says (who remembers the board crash?)

quote:

..if it really annoys you, then don't bother reading those threads, I guess ....

that's not an option (well it is) and it's still not fair and it's still a slap in the face

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2005 14:43      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -ct-:
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
quoting Snaggy:
[b]...There may be a few other members who can...

ffs, *i'm* one of the older memebers
i been here for far longer than what my join date over there says (who remembers the board crash?)

quote:

..if it really annoys you, then don't bother reading those threads, I guess ....

that's not an option (well it is) and it's still not fair and it's still a slap in the face

I think most of the Superfan's privillages can be seen as unfair, but only to those who havn't paid, in the beginning I saw their custom avatars as a slap on the face, but hey, they are paying and suporting this site. Money, in this world, seems to overway time spent anyday of the week. While it annoys me too I still have to deal with it.

I do think it might be nice to keep the polls in the superfan section only because we can't see or vote in a poll, therefor the entire thread is left pretty much useless to us.

I am deeply sorry if I offend Snaggy, Nitrozac, CT or anyone for that matter.

--------------------

-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2005 15:17      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alfrin:
...I think most of the Superfan's privillages can be seen as unfair, but only to those who havn't paid, in the beginning I saw their custom avatars as a slap on the face....

to me, changing for a special av is perfectly fine as it doesn't interfere with browsing the forum, or link to something deliberatly that we can't get to

--------------------

Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2005 15:41      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It annoyed the hell out of me when I first started because I could not read certain convo's. But I fixed that by getting a membership and that was not hard because I enjoy reading and posting on here. I am sure Snaggy and Nitrozac meant nothing by making it a superfan feature only but there are perks everywhere when you have a membership as opposed to the ones that do not. It sucks but 6.95 per month are worth all the time I spend on here for all the privileges. [Big Grin]

It is only 6.95 but if my boyfriend knew that I actually paid, he would not be happy! Lol...he would say it could be better spent which is the issue with most cases for fans that cannot go to superfan stat.

sorry for the ramble...

edit:I do love my avatar though [hearts]

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 20:21      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They have to make money here somehow though.

--------------------

-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 21:45      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alfrin:
They have to make money here somehow though.

you've totally missed the point here

--------------------

Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2005 21:51      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not really hun. Unfortunately that is how the world works. [shake head]

Example: you work at a company for x amount of years and one day your boss says you have to go. You soon find out that another person was hired in your place doing the exact same function for much less. Money talks in the world we live in. Not saying they are money hungry Snaggy and Nitrozac but they have to find a way to fund the site so people can register for free and post for free. Most forums that I see (could be wrong) do not even allow the capability of PM unless you come out of pocket for a membership.

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture