homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » John Waters Censored?! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: John Waters Censored?!
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 15, 2005 22:28      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you've got a crystal all set to go on the beam, and then you drop it on the floor, that's a compulsory f-bomb, as loud as you dare (if the boss is around, you may not want to draw that much attention to yourself), with a few other choice words depending on how hard the crystal was to grow and whether or not you've tried to soak in a heavy atom. If you accidently throw your entire RNA or protein prep down the drain, that's at at least one loud shit, but if you want to be really proper you throw in a fsck as well. I could go on, but I'll stop there. You must understand that most biochemistry screw-ups lose you anywhere from a day's to a week's to a month's worth of work, and the appropriate response increases proportionally.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted September 15, 2005 22:29      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Allan said:

as far as I know it's much more dull than that: File System ChecK, but that might be complete bollocks.

bollocks.

what a great word.

Posts: 490 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted September 15, 2005 22:35      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right up there with bugger and bloody.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 15, 2005 22:55      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
I do have a sneaking suspicion that TFD knows unix, so I might have just taken a walk down gullible street

Careful Allan, your dry, yeastless factuality might make you miss the better story. [Wink]
</gratuitous-Life-of-Pi-reference>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2005 05:44      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect the whole FileSystem ChecK thing was chosen specifically to create the resulting acronym, yet be defensible in front of PhBs. (A PhB, for those of you who are unaware, is someone who *should* be intelligent [hence the PhD reference] but displays too many boss-like characteristics for their own good).
Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2005 06:27      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm (relatively known for being) dead-set against censorship of any kind. To say that using swear words is just a 'stupid' or 'dumb' or 'uncultured' person's way of conveying a thought is nothing short of absolute nonsense. While there are plenty of words that can (usually) be used in the swear word's place, sometimes the swear word just belongs.

99% of these words have lost any link to their original meaning; hell, some people in this very thread are asking for the original meaning of words they use because they don't even know!

Swear words are just that -- words. A series of letters put together in a certain order used to convey a specific thought or meaning. 'Fuck' has come to be punctuation for some people, carrying no meaning whatsoever.

"I'm hungry, fuck."

To automatically associate someone's choice in words with their intelligence level is naive.

Some of the best movies ever written bear a rating of 'R'. Tarantino is a brilliant example. He writes awesome movies with lots of foul language. Another one that comes to mind for me is Kevin Smith. Brilliant writer, full of potty-mouthed humour.

If you don't choose to use said words in your vocabulary, so be it. If you choose not to watch movies that use those words or carry those themes, that's your loss. But don't label me because I do.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2005 06:48      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Can I get a show of hands? [Wink]

Or you stumble upon the feature in your recently-upgraded-to-a-version-you're-not-certified-on Windows-based telephone switch that allows you to erase every extension in the company with frightening ease.

I was extraordinarily lucky that prior to that discovery, I'd been exploring the commands which export configuration settings and managed to have a copy of what I needed to (mostly) repair the damage.

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2005 07:17      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
I suspect the whole FileSystem ChecK thing was chosen specifically to create the resulting acronym, yet be defensible in front of PhBs.

Like the error code on the old VAXen, Failed UniBus Address Register (FUBAR)

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 16, 2005 11:26      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, the point about profanity is that we shouldn't waste it... All too often swearing is a sign of lazy or unimaginitive writing, although sometimes swearing is appropriate in context- imagine a 'gangsta' film where the protaganist addressed his enemy with the words " I say old chap, dashed bad show!"
In either case the effect is to 'devalue the currency' of cussing over time.
The best swearing is done by those who rarely do it - when your maiden aunt smashes her favourite china teacup and exclaims " Oh you stupid F**cker!' EVERYBODY knows to take notice.....

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2005 13:08      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My chem teacher was telling us this afternoon that she knew she had to change her potty-mouthing ways when her two year old said "Oh fsck!" in the car.

Swear words are like fats and sugars: use sparingly, but use where appropriate.

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
rw

Member # 590

Icon 1 posted September 17, 2005 09:01      Profile for rw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't even aware of Dirty Shame, so thanks for the movie tip [Smile]

And it's got Tracy Ullman playing a sexaholic -- one of my oldest fantasies!

Netflix has the NC-17 version.

Posts: 429 | From: Kirkland, Wash. (US of A) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2005 10:21      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supergoo:
My chem teacher was telling us this afternoon that she knew she had to change her potty-mouthing ways when her two year old said "Oh fsck!" in the car.

Wow I've never seen a child so intact to checking the integretiy of a filesystem, If I have kids that's the first thing I will teach them. [Wink]

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2005 17:33      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the meaning of words and context. I live in a town whose catch phrase is "Home of the Shag".

Now you buggers from the UK might think that's offensive but you don't know what real shaggin' is.

And farmers know what Cowshit is - that's not offensive. It's when it's meant to be offensive that we as people should, in good manners, tell the offender to kindly shut his yap before it gets bruised and battered.
and then if he persists...

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2005 23:07      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a fairly interesting article from The New York Times on profanity in language.

Almost Before We Spoke, We Swore

(I found it worth registering on the NYT site. It's free and I read it often enough that it's helpful to have my own login. For everyone else, there is BugMeNot .)

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 20:05      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in the presence of a Brit and a Yankee once. A child walked across the floor and the Yankee said "What a cute little bugger!" The Brit nearly fell over... "Wha... wha... wha did he call that kid?! What..." He stammered until someone explained it to him.

I must have passed out because I can't remember anything else from that evening. [Confused]

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 11:05      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of profanity is regional. "Bugger" is a good example, as shown above. Another is "bloody".

"Fanny" is only moderately indecent here in the US (it means buttocks), but apparently it's a bit stronger in the UK (where I'm told it means vulva).

Conversely, calling someone a "fag" in the US is a pretty vitriolic thing, especially since homosexuals are sometimes killed here for no reason other than the fact that they're homosexual. (Fortunately, that seems to be changing.) But over in the UK, a fag is just a cigarette.

But the strongest profanity in the US these days is the set of words used as racial/ethnic pejoratives, such as "nigger". I'd never use that particular word outside of a meta-discussion like this one.

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 13:07      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Precisely Greycat...

Here in the UK "Bugger" is pretty mild along with "Sod" (though both come from references to male homosexual practice).

"Fanny" is pretty mild despite it being a reference to female genitalia and in the phrase "sweet Fanny Adams" is a euphemism for "fsck all"

An ass is a sort of mule, a fag is something that you smoke (unless you went to Public School) and a faggot is either a sort of meatball or a bundle of sticks you burn on the fire...

References to the male "equipment" are many and varied and almost all only considered only mildly out of bounds and "tit" in reference to female breasts would barely raise an eyebrow amongst any but the most maiden of elderly aunts in most circles.

"Fsck" itself is reasonably frowned on in polite circles but is certainly not the shocker it was when I was younger (and in lower class circles it is no more than a punctuation mark).

In fact these days the only real "shockers" in normal situations are MelonFarmer*, CornSalter* and the "C" word.

Actually in many ways I don't think it hurts too much as people tend to have to think a bit harder for *real* insults (though "peadophile" and "Nazi" seem to be making a fairly frequent appearance in the insult stakes along with unpleasant references to the behaviour of your family members...)

*See - these are still "off colour" enough for me to use masking phrases...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 13:54      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by greycat:
A lot of profanity is regional. "Bugger" is a good example, as shown above. Another is "bloody".

It's not just profanity that can cause regional confusion...

I remember the reaction of a new American teacher when someone in class asked to borrow a rubber.
Here in oz, a rubber is what 'merkins would call 'eraser'.

Back in the 60's, the Druid-in-law was in the UK, and asked for "durex with santa clauses on" in a newsagents. She was politely referred to the chemist across the street.
In oz, 'durex' is a brand of adhesive tape, in many other countries it's a brand of condom.

And of course, here in oz, if you're looking for a fourex, you go to the pub, not the chemist.

--------------------

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2005 14:06      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Similarly Billy Connoly made much hilarity of the fact that a roll of sticky tape known here in the UK as "Sellotape" is known in Oz as "Durex" (a name associated in the UK with contraceptive prophylactics)...
[Wink]
Edit: Seems druid editied and extended his post as I did mine, or I didn't read his fully in the first place - but yes we're driving in the same direction here...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 04, 2006 21:30      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Necropost!

So I had started this rant about Hollywood Video renting the censored R rated version of A Dirty Shame. Tonight I rented the Unrated version of The Aristocrats from Hollywood Video which was more offensive by tenfold compared to A Dirty Shame. Hollywood Video still won't rent NC-17 films [crazy]

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture