homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » What really annoys you? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What really annoys you?
computer_gal
Newbie Larva
Member # 4285

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 08:10      Profile for computer_gal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What really annoys you?
Apart from bad spelling, bad grammer...coz ive worked that out, i dunno about any other newbies tho? lol
{Note to Newbies, watch spelling and bad grammer eg: No MSN or 'chat' speak .. "lyk omg u r so kool"..<- like that}

So back on topic, what does annoy you?
Whether it be in your everyday activities, work, school, and on the Computer/Internet etc, just anything...

Mine would be what i can think of now:

When you have computer 'issues', when it just doesnt go your way, even tho you've tried to solve the problems(or so you think) [shake head]

People who use the word 'emo' omg, that REALLY annoys me..

My Computer(its pretty old really)

Computer lag!
When the computer locks up,freezes you get the idea..
When System Resources get very slow, first signs of computer lock up *grr* [Mad]

When you have problems with drivers or updates of any kind.

Spam on sites etc, not so much email, coz its not 'terrible' only get like 2-5 spam emails not even everyday, so thats good.
Expect when its those virus emails(if you understand the ones i mean)

People ganging up on people, anywhere, it's pretty low, no need for violence and of the sort.

People who swear in front of young children or just kids in genral, or just anybody just continuing, like off there head type, moderation is the key,there's a time and a place for everything.

Animal cruelty, and cruelty to anyone or anything.

When people dont turn there phones off in doctors,hospitals, places where it has the sign there "Please turn off your mobiles phones" staring right at them, or in one case..
I was at the docs, a lady was sitting near my mum and me and she had your phone on(playing around with it etc) and then she reads a mag, her phone rings!..and wait for it, shes right under the sign thats says "Please turn off your mobiles phones" and 'still' doesnt get the hint after being told off by the nurses a couple times! [Roll Eyes] )..sorry about the little story/ranting there..

Ok i better stop there or else i'll go on, but i want to hear what you all have to say and your opinions.

You know you want to! [Wink]
It might even make you feel better [Smile]

--------------------
The past cannot be changed, But.. the future is still in your power.
-Hugh White-

Posts: 8 | From: Where else? at my computer of course! | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 08:49      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by computer_gal:

Well arn't you in for a pleasant surprise

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 09:15      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alfrin:
quote:

You know you're helpless when the new 'feature' in your new software is the fact that you've removed the word 'my' from it.

That'd only be interesting if Perl did it. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 09:23      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Word doesn't like tables, but the documents I write have very long tables. Sometime Word does very strange things when you try to adjust the tables boundaries. It takes its sweet time doing it, to boot.

Excel, on the other hand, can be an engineer's friend.

I recently read that the next Office Suite is supposed to use XML to link spreadsheets and texts into one document. That would be pretty nice; but where I work, I won't see that upgrade for another 6 years.

At home, I use OOo (Win32) and my annoyance with that is it has a hard time finding my fonts folder.

Another recently discovered annoyance is that Alt+F4 abruptly exits Diablo II. Both of those buttons have uses in that game and the designers could have easily told the game not to bail out on that command.

</rant>

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 09:25      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly, I don't know what the big deal is all about. Sure, I consider it somewhat stupid, but I can manage. Frankly, I expect to see millions of Windows users confused when they can't find their "My Documents" folder. What really pisses me off, though, is how XP SP2 seems to have become a real smartass, and change the "My Documents" folder descriptor to "$foo's Documents" when using Windows Explorer /sometimes/ (where $foo is the username). This is really fscked up when you're trying to consistently choose a folder, and depending on the user, it is in a different order.

Oh, and by the way - OS X has "Documents," "Movies," "Music," "Pictures." [Wink] Sounds to me like a copycat action. [Razz]

And naturally, we *nix users have been free to name our directories whatever we want to. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 10:04      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:
quote:

You know you're helpless when the new 'feature' in your new software is the fact that you've removed the word 'my' from it.

Doesn't perl allow you to implicitly declare variables? I thought they 'my' statement was more for code clarity than actual functionality.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 10:19      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DMan, most unix/Liunx machines follow naming conventions, and freshly installed systems should forbid the avreage user from creating directories outside of their home. Granted that within a user's home direstory he can orginize things hoever he wants... Though having a /bin included in a user path is generally a good idea.
Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 10:23      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When people ask me what annoys me. [Razz]

But seriously...I also get annoyed at cell phone users. Do you really have to talk to someone while you're shopping at the supermarket? Then there's the idiots who talk on the phone in the library, "HELLO? YEAH, I'M IN THE LIBRARY NOW...BLAH, BLAH, BLAH..." [Mad]

Posts: 5844 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 10:34      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate when you are about to finish your research after three and a half years and the tungsten filaments in the ion source of your mass spectrometer burn out. I also hate taking the mass spectrometer apart to find the ion source is filthy and needs a damn good cleaning before you can get back to finishing your doctorate.

And people that don't understand when to use affect and effect.

But I do like reaching 1600 posts! Woohoo!

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 11:02      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:

And people that don't understand when to use affect and effect.

Or accept and except, or than or then, ARGH *rips out hair*

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 11:18      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I definitely don't people that use cell phones in the store. But the one's that use Nextel's on speakerphone are the worst.(BEEP John what do you need? BEEP I wanted to tell you about my visit to the proctologist. BEEP... ad infinitum)

Let's see. People that use your boss' name to try and scare you into putting their requests at the top of the stack.

Minivans and their owners.

and ....

People in general.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 11:33      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I definitely don't people that use cell phones in the store. But the one's that use Nextel's on speakerphone are the worst.(BEEP John what do you need? BEEP I wanted to tell you about my visit to the proctologist. BEEP... ad infinitum)
That might be a cell with built in two way radio...

When people say "internet" to mean "IE."

When I meet a new person, and they find out that I'm studying coputer science and work in computers-- and they ask me to "come over this weekend and look at [their] computer for [them]".

I have no problem with people who use their phone in a public place where there is nosie and there is no posted or other reason not to. I do it. But, I hate when it is posted and it's some place very inconvient and against policy... For instance people who get and take them in a computer lab or library. People whose phone rings in a lecture or class.

People who think they know everything drive me nuts, because they make it really difficult for those of us who actually do.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 12:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
DMan, most unix/Liunx machines follow naming conventions, and freshly installed systems should forbid the avreage user from creating directories outside of their home. Granted that within a user's home direstory he can orginize things hoever he wants... Though having a /bin included in a user path is generally a good idea.

Um, GM, I thought that was implied - I felt the subject was all about the user's files, not the system.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 12:28      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
That might be a cell with built in two way radio...

That's what a Nextel is!

Yes, I have one and use it every day, but for *work*. Nextels were never meant for public consumption, damn it! Historically, they've been priced way out of the consumer price range - but they've recently brought some of the pricing down, and it seems that the free Direct Connect is quite popular amongst groups of people (such as families). It doesn't *have* to be on speakerphone, ya know. And...there are definitely times you don't want it to be - which is when I tell the other person "Can you put it on private?" (or "safe to talk [freely]?") [e.g. "So and so is a fscking moron who has been lying to my face about his computer..." While I would accept it if that person heard it, I'd just assume they didn't. [Smile] ]

--------------------

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 12:38      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Yes, I have one and use it every day, but for *work*. Nextels were never meant for public consumption, damn it! Historically, they've been priced way out of the consumer price range

Well DMan I have used them both for business and personal reasons. Damn handy they are.

But like you said there is a private feature. Just it seems that most people either don't have the respect or good sense to turn the speaker option off in certain places. And then drag everyone into their conversations.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 12:56      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Things that annoy me include...

-People who insist on having the same arguments over and over again, e.g. my housemates, who like to discuss the state of the British rail system over every sit down dinner we have.

-People who give me funny looks when they find out I'm studying Classics and don't know what I want to do with my life, yet.

-The fact that I have to ask permission every SINGLE time I leave the house on my own [Roll Eyes]

-People who think it's really funny to yell "terrorist!" or "Al Jazeera!" (wtf?) when they see me walking down the street.

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
postgrep
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4201

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 17:02      Profile for postgrep   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What really annoys you?
Apart from bad spelling, bad grammer...coz ive worked that out, i dunno about any other newbies tho? lol
{Note to Newbies, watch spelling and bad grammer eg: No MSN or 'chat' speak .. "lyk omg u r so kool"..<- like that}

Computer lag!
When System Resources get very slow, first signs of computer lock up *grr* [Mad]

You get annoyed by 'grammer'? Haha, how ironic that you get annoyed by something you cannot spell [Razz] .

Maybe that lag would stop if you used Linux. Join dark side [Razz] [evil]

Posts: 43 | From: my abode, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 17:09      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm really annoyed by people who constantly ask me if they're
annoying me.

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 18:25      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Things that annoy me:

People that ask me why I'm a vegetarian, and then argue with me about those reasons. If you ask, that's the answer. It's not a debate.

People that drive like a$$holes, passing you in a no passing zone, nearly causing accidents, just so they can beat you to a red light.

Middle management and any corporate culture that values butt-kissing and yes men over honest initiative and creative solutions.

Direcway, and the fact that I have to power cycle my satellite modem at least 3 times a day. And the that my connection dies when it rains. And their "fair" access policy. And that all their customer service reps are either total freaks or from Bangalore.

High fructose corn syrup.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 30, 2005 19:14      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People who use political arguements when determining 'facts'

If ( X is true ) then (unpleasant political ramifications of X) therefor (X must be false)

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Digital_Wolf
Newbie Larva
Member # 4309

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2005 04:22      Profile for Digital_Wolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear ya computer_gal!

I've come across some of those things to, but apart from them...

My stupid router that locks up and power cycles all the time making interneting a pain.

Working on computers all day, then comming home to one... ( I really do love my compy tho [Big Grin] )

People who can't follow road rules.

Being stuck in trafic when you're already running late. Actually on that note, why is it that whenever you're late there is always lots of traffic, and when you're early there is none... so you either get to work way to early, or late...

and my favourite for all those Sydney sides here ( I know there is only a few of you ) but Willoughby Town Hall Council. Those guys are redictulas. They put road sides in STUPID places. I drove home today and saw a road sign saying "No Right Turn" then directly under it, on the same pole a sign saying "Right lane must turn right", and on that sign thing I got a $155 parking fine for parking in a metered zone til 4 (as the sign said) but about 2m from that sign was one saying "No stopping 3:30pm - 6pm" ...

Thats my little rant, wasn't sure if that was what you were after computer_gal but it sure helped me vent [Smile]

--------------------
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Posts: 7 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
computer_gal
Newbie Larva
Member # 4285

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2005 04:33      Profile for computer_gal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by postgrep:
quote:
What really annoys you?

Computer lag!

You get annoyed by 'grammer'? Haha, how ironic that you get annoyed by something you cannot spell [Razz] .

Maybe that lag would stop if you used Linux. Join dark side [Razz] [evil]

Haha to you, as i never said 'grammar'(see is that better?) annoys me!I ment that i figured it annoys alot of YOU! [Roll Eyes]
So its not ironic at all:p

I knew someone would pick up on something wrong i did [Roll Eyes]

and Linux.. linux!
*says in a very high pitched voice*
I dunno about that, whats so good about it really?

--------------------
The past cannot be changed, But.. the future is still in your power.
-Hugh White-

Posts: 8 | From: Where else? at my computer of course! | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted August 31, 2005 05:07      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People who accept any and everything they hear on a talk radio show or the so called "news" networks as gospel fact. I work with many, many very highly educated professionals that believe things like "Bill Clinton used Air Force One to transport drugs from Venezuela". Man, that's annoying. Another guy, Chemical Engineer mind you, saw the pictures of Rumsfeld shaking Saddam's hand in the 80's, and doesn't believe it. Never happened. Another highly educated professional that is absolutely convinced that video games cause violent crime (they don't, just look around at your peers).

I guess it's narrow mindedness, lack of curiosity, and the inability to question so called "conventional wisdom".

THAT stuff is annoying.

Posts: 238 | From: Southern Ohio ... SURF OHIO, BABY! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2005 07:15      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nerdwithnofriends:
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:
quote:

Doesn't perl allow you to implicitly declare variables? I thought they 'my' statement was more for code clarity than actual functionality.
'my' declares a variable to only exist within the scope of its current context.

All perl code that's longer than 5 lines should probably have:

code:
use strict;

At the beginning. use strict requires you to use 'my', 'local', 'our', etc to declare a variable (or use vars, etc.), otherwise, it will fail fatally.

This is a good thing(tm) since a simple typo in a variable name could wreak havoc on development otherwise.

To give you an example:

code:
my $a = 3;
if ($a == 3)
{
my $a = 5;
print "My A (inside) is $a\n";
}
print "My A (outside) is $a\n";

Will output:
code:
My A (inside) is 5
My A (outside) is 3

The 'my' declaration of A on the inside lost its scope with the closing brace.

Without use strict and my, every variable becomes a global variable, and that's just painful.

</perl-101>

<on-topic>

I'm driven absolutely bonkers by people who think there's two Os in 'lose'.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 31, 2005 08:22      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, something that really, you know, gets on my nerves, you know, is people who replace punctuation, you know, with 'you know', in their speech, you know.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture