homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Los Angeles drivers (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Los Angeles drivers
Will B
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4020

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted July 31, 2005 14:21      Profile for Will B     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meek and powerless rant session...

Although I can be a little absent-minded now and again, ever since moving to Los Angeles (not by choice), I have had nothing but bad luck with folks in other cars (and buses) around here.

My thing is, many people around here drive as if they have no fear of death or killing others, nor do they care if a police cruiser is nearby.

For example, my love and I were driving down a small side-street when some knucklehead comes barrelling toward us, in the wrong lane and nearly hits us. Not relishing the thought of a head-on collision, and thinking this fellow didn't see us, I honk my horn. At the last second, Mr. Man cuts to the correct side of the road and hoists the finger...although the whole thing was HIS fault! [crazy]

Another time, we make a complete stop at the intersection near our home where all three ways have a stop sign. Although I AM a California driver, I nearly always stop completely at stop signs. I don't do the 'California Rolling Stop' thing because, to me, it's unsafe and not courteous to other drivers. Anywho, we start turning left when we see a driver from the opposite lane of traffic approach at high speed and doesn't really slow down at his stop sign. In a panic, I hit my horn, blast through the intersection to avoid a collision and put up my hand in a 'stop' gesture before parking near our home. Not only did the offending driver display his middle finger, he stops in the middle of the intersection and starts cussing ME out. I was just sitting there, completely shocked, thinking 'Why in the world is this guy mad at me for HIS stupidity?' I tried to reason with him calmly between every other expletive surging from his mouth, but it was pointless. After a few minutes of holding up traffic, he finally roared off.

One more whiny incident: While driving my love to her job, we get stuck in construction traffic. Knowing another way to her work, I look in my left mirror and, seeing that it's clear initiate a lane-change into the center turning lane. All I remember is turning the steering wheel and pressing the gas pedal...the next thing I know, we're on the opposite side of the road, turned 180 degrees looking at the front of a Metro transit bus! Feeling one tooth disintegrate, I looked over at my fiancee to see if she was okay. We did walk away from the accident, but the Swedish brick we were in was totaled and I've been missing a front tooth ever since. The first police officer on the scene said inaccurately and professionally "Both y'all f***ed up". Nothing like the LAPD! When I eventually filed a claim with the MTA, it was denied. At the time, I was too naive to get a lawyer and sue them, so I'm screwed now.

Anyway, there are countless other tales of accidents and near accidents while we've lived here. When our situation changes, we may be able to move somewhere more sane, but every day we are faced with executing evasive maneuvers and a video of me driving in L.A. would certainly mimic the swiveling head of a fighter-pilot in a war zone.

I don't really think it's all just me, because when we drive in other cities (Oxnard, San Jose, etc), we simply don't have to deal with this.

Calgon, take me away!

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2005 14:28      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that really sucks. I guess I shouldn't get so annoyed by traffic here. Funny thing - I actually have no real issues with driving in NY -- I know it scares the heck out of some people, but it's quite alright to me. Brooklyn, OTOH...yeesh...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2005 16:01      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Ill never understand are stupid people who make braindead mistakes and then get mad at the people who honk at them for their stupidity.

[shake head]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2005 16:09      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My all-time favourite:

The guy who walked between his stationary car and mine, climbed into the driver seat, and reversed right into me, then jumped out and yelled "You #@%$ #@&^ didn't you see me backing out?"

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2005 16:29      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A California Rolling Stop? We spell that "Chicago". [Wink]
Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2005 16:58      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will B.

Being a Californian transplant for 20 years off and on. I have seen all that and more. Part of the reason I live in the IE.

I have lived in Bellflower, LA and Long Beach. And I have a mother that lives in downtown L.A.

My mantra is "they are all going to try and get me." So far I have been very lucky. But nowadays, if I don't have to go to lala land, I won't.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2005 17:32      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy flying butter sticks! Someone else from the IE?

GOOD TO GO!!!

Anyway, living in the IE and LA area I have leanrt that there is a very specific way that you have to drive in these areas. Though it may not be your typical safe driving you have to do what you have to do to survive in LA.

Drive offensively, like you have somewhere to be and a little fast. Have no fear of the cops becasue if they are going to pull you over they will find something to pull you over for. If someone gets out of their car. Honk and keep driving. Dont be afraid to cut anyone off and getting the birdie is just another way that the indiginous specie of LA say HI.

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2005 17:52      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My boss is from LA and went to grad school at MIT. So he's a godawful combination of LA driver and Masshole. When I passed my orals the lab went to dinner and since I was the guest of honor, I got to ride shotgun in my boss's car. Should such an event arise again, I'm riding in the fscking trunk. It was almost as bad as the Russian dude who gave me rides occasionally in Rochester. He learned to drive from a former tank commander in the Soviet Army. It showed. [crazy]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2005 18:00      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
He learned to drive from a former tank commander in the Soviet Army. It showed. [crazy]

In Soviet Russia, tank drives you?

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2005 18:06      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any of you people ever been to Boston?

OOOHH, Baby!!

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2005 19:23      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
Any of you people ever been to Boston?

OOOHH, Baby!!

Honestly, Boston driving doesn't bother me that much. I don't know why, but I guess I have yet to encounter the worst? Come by my way (and then go a little bit south) and drive down Flatbush Ave. on a Sat. afternoon, if you want pure and utter hell. Fscking double parked ____s... I've learned whole new chapters of ways to avoid ugly messes (I don't know that I'd call it "defensive driving," though) - such as, if the intersection ahead goes left, stay the hell out of the left lane - otherwise, keep left, to avoid the aforementioned double-parked cars. I really need to find a better way to get where I'm trying to go. :-/

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
shriver
Geek
Member # 3556

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2005 20:10      Profile for shriver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
code:

[email protected] [~]$ modprobe "Los Angelos"
FATAL: Module Los Angelos not found.

Nope, there's no driver's for linux, yet. Anyone have some know how of the device and some spare time?

--------------------
And a thousand thousand slimy things
Lived on; and so did I.

Posts: 111 | From: Seattle | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Will B
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4020

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2005 21:26      Profile for Will B     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Nope, there's no driver's for linux, yet. Anyone have some know how of the device and some spare time?
Hee hee. Los Angeles is too unstable a 'device' to develop Linux or OS X drivers for, perhaps win32???

(EDIT: ...perhaps win32, because no one would notice the difference if the 'device' crashed all the time...) [blush]

Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2005 22:01      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brother used to say of L.A. drivers that, whenever they see a little bit of traffic on the freeway, they park. Whereas San Diego drivers know how to drive fast in traffic.

Denver drivers can be somewhat manic, too, especially in the snow. Maybe not as manic as L.A. or Boston drivers, but, when drivers here screw up, the effects can be more wide-reaching, as we don't have as many roads to use to get around problems. Some damn fool wipes out on I-70 through the mountains, or US 6 up Clear Creek Canyon, that can ruin everyone's day. Even a blockage on I-25 can be painful to deal with, and all the T-REX construction hasn't helped matters there.

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Will B
Maximum Newbie
Member # 4020

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2005 22:13      Profile for Will B     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Erbo said:
Denver drivers can be somewhat manic, too, especially in the snow.

Don't I know it! I lived in Lakewood, CO for about a year. I think some firms in the Denver area recruit a lot of CA folks, so their bad driving habits follow along.

Yeah, I was caught on the 70 many a time coming from Aurora, and got a little peeved when I had to sit in the many electrical storms that summer. [devil wand] I think the hold ups were accidents, or the Broncos were playing, or both.

This is one reason why I love Swedish bricks. Even though my trusty old 1990 Swedish brick gave its life for me and my fiancee's safety, I have bought yet another. My mother-in-law-to-be has pretty much allowed our current car to be destroyed as she isn't a very defensive driver, but it's held together for quite some time. Not bad for a $500 car!

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 31, 2005 22:37      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo:
Some damn fool wipes out on I-70 through the mountains, or US 6 up Clear Creek Canyon, that can ruin everyone's day.

I've had more issues with accidents on I-70 than Hwy 6. The big problem with 6 is people taking it at a crawl. Even when the roadway is cleared of snow, you'll get people creeping along. If you're that afraid of the canyon stay on the bleeding freeway!!

I-70, OTOH...I know I've got a looong trip back from the slopes if any snow starts to fall. By-passing the tunnel by going over Loveland Pass helps, but if the weather really goes to shit then the pass will close and you're SOL. I got caught in one back-up that started before the tunnel and stretched almost all the way to the exit onto Hwy 6. At one point, after we'd been pretty much parked for an hour, some kind soul a few cars back started going up and down the line of cars passing out candy. Took us five hours to get from Keystone to Boulder. Lesson: try to work it out with your boss so you can take a skiing day in the middle of the week. THe weather can still go to hell, but there won't be as many people.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2005 05:14      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know Internet Explorer was a place?

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2005 05:38      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanna know what Shroom and Jace are doing together in Ireland !

And it's no wonder you septics are confused by the driving, they drive on the left over there (most of the time)

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2005 10:06      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
Holy flying butter sticks! Someone else from the IE?.

But of course. I am living in Hemet, if you can call it that. BTW, Druid, IE is short for Inland Empire. The wasteland that is Riverside and San Bernadino counties of California.

quote:
..and getting the birdie is just another way that the indiginous specie of LA say HI. [/QB]
Damn Jace I thought they were telling me that I was number one.
[crazy]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 01, 2005 12:15      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
[QUOTE]Damn Jace I thought they were telling me that I was number one.
[crazy]

Perhaps they were saying that you were number four. [Razz]

-

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted August 02, 2005 23:03      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most annoying thing about drivers in the suburbs is that they're almost too polite.

Word to the wise: DO NOT DISPLAY SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY AT FOUR-WAY INTERSECTIONS.

Ex 1: An old lady in a Cadillac will saunter up to a stop sign at a four way intersection before I do, and then she'll sit and wait for me to come up to the intersection. I stop, as she was there first, and then she'll wave her hand as to say "oh honey you go first." Other times the driver just sits there and assumes that it would be polite to let me through the intersection first.
????

The interstates here are basically the same as the interstates anywhere, plenty of jerks doing 90-100 in a 65 zone and people who won't bother to put their blinker on.

EDIT: I saw a funny bumper sticker once, it said "Please drive with courtesy, IT'S THE NEW HAMPSHIRE WAY!"

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2005 04:00      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the highways in Montana. They're all two lanes; I don't believe there are any three-lane roads in the entire state (GG, correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyways, the speedlimit is usually 75, sometimes 65, they're (usually) very uncrowded, and if It's a beautiful bluebird day and you decide you want to go at 90 mph, cops usually won't pull you over. Well, not unless they have quotas to fill.

In town we have major intersection called 'malfunction junction' (yes, it's actually called that). It is the coming together of three major roads in town, and the city has decided to redo it with a bunch of funky one-way streets and what not. Hopefully, it will improve the situation somewhat.

Ooooh, I can't wait to get back home, my dad is having my wheels re-aligned before I get back... no more drifting to the right!!

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2005 11:05      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supergoo:
The most annoying thing about drivers in the suburbs is that they're almost too polite.

Word to the wise: DO NOT DISPLAY SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY AT FOUR-WAY INTERSECTIONS.

Ex 1: An old lady in a Cadillac will saunter up to a stop sign at a four way intersection before I do, and then she'll sit and wait for me to come up to the intersection. I stop, as she was there first, and then she'll wave her hand as to say "oh honey you go first." Other times the driver just sits there and assumes that it would be polite to let me through the intersection first.
????

That kind of driving is one of my pet peeves. My opinion is that safe driving is predictable, and being "nice" makes a driver unpredictable, and therefore dangerous. [Mad]

Rules of the road first, courtesy second.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2005 06:47      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've come up on a green light before, stopping out of stupidity and just sat there and watched the light turn red and realized 1)how stupid I was and 2) that everyone else in oncomming trafic at the stop was looking at me like , "WTF Mate?"
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2005 07:29      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you might feel a bit dumb pulling up at a green light Jace, but you'd feel a damn sight stupider if you ran a red one!!!
[Wink]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture