homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Intel and Apple Murger?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Intel and Apple Murger?
Nick
Mini Geek
Member # 2413

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2005 17:00      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok whatteh heck is going on here I am hearing something liek Intel is buying out Apple. what the hell? Please tell me it is not true Please. All these rumers what is the deal?

--------------------
~Blade

Posts: 89 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2005 17:43      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Murger makes me think of burger and now I'm hungry, thanks.

I've heard those rumours too, and I don't know how true they may or may not be. I guess we'll see. I'd doubt there's any substance to them, but I said the same about the Macs using CPU things.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2005 18:07      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crawl out of your cave, boy.

Take five minutes to look around on the web, and posssibly Google it.

Edit:
Oh...whoops...that was actually said slightly in error. I was distracted quite in the same vein as dnf. I doubt the MERGER is going to happen. Intel doesn't make computers, and Apple doesn't make processors - deviation from that would make for a very weird situation.

Get and USE a spell checker!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2005 18:11      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was Bob Cringely that advanced that theory. Personally, I wonder what he's been smoking.

If it is true, though, it could mean trouble for Linux. If Intel has its own OS for its processors (OS X in this case), they suddenly acquire a vested interest in killing off Linux...

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2005 01:21      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is however an interesting read Erbo. I agree that it will be interesting to see how this affects Apple's relationship with Linux and the open source community, which has become rather rocky, though recently they have open sourced a lot more of the Safari code which was the major cause of complaint.

More intriguingly since these machines could easily be made dual boot MacOS/Windows, how will Dell, HP and others (as well as MS) feel about that? It is possible that there might be a fair sized market for people who want to run Windows as their primary OS on stylish Apple hardware, and who might be interested in checking out OSX with this safety blanket, and so this could revive their failed switching campaign by the back door.

The turbulence and fights that all this may cause should at least stop Steve Jobs from becoming bored, which I fancy is the main reason behind this move.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2005 02:21      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Intel did merge with Apple, IBM would become so much more important in the FOSS movment. Apple has given back to certian projects, but the form in which it gives back frustrates the FOSS developers. Case in point is KHTML.

DualBooting Linux with a mac OS as preinstall might cause MicroSoft to squirm and write new deals that give less of a break to companies that do this than companies that just preinstall windows.

I, personally, don't think this is the case. Though Apple recently announced they will be moving to Intel chips, they never said it would be a x86 chip. They might produce a special run of chips for the Mac.

The more intersting "if they made it" merger would be if Intel and IBM merged. It would be a very intresting day indeed -- though Hell might be icing over on that day too.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2005 03:24      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daring Fireball has a reasonable comment on this "story" and to be honest I agree with him. Mr Cringely takes the valid point and runs till he's gone out of field with it. Intel and Apple have nothing to gain from a merger and their egos are much to big...

Steve might have really really good reasons for these latest moves, or he might just be bored and hacked off that he isn't being treated "properly". There is no doubting that IBM's failure to deliver 3GHz G5s while getting 3.2GHz PPC's to the console market peeved him...

Maybe Steve just likes to keep things "interesting" - after all he likes to think different[ly]. Like Mr Gates it isn't as if he needs the money ($1... ha ha ha). And no doubt Pixar pays the bills thanks very much...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2005 21:40      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve's possible boredom as a motivation behind the Intel move? Interesting, but I don't think that's what drives him. Take a look at the commencement address he gave to Stanford University graduates this past Sunday. He tells three stories from his life to illustrate the advice he gives to the graduates. The underlying perspectives on himself and on life in general say a lot about the man.

Despite the objectionable things I either know or have heard about him, I have a great deal of respect for the philosophies which apparently keep him moving forward (even when they run him head-on into others). Steve may be a lot of things, but I don't think "bored" is one of them.

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2005 02:54      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By bored I think the implication is no longer driving his imagination.

Steve is apparently a big perfectionist and his Apple/NeXT/Apple performances seem to indicate that he goes where HE wants, to do what HE wants to do.

People always seem to think that somehow Steve wants to be Bill Gates and for Apple to usurp Microsoft - never seen the logic in that. Steve wants to build the Rolls Royce of the computer world and/or create the things that make him go "Wow, wouldn't that just be too cool?"

Can't really see Steve wanting to sit on top of a heap of people who think "good enough" actually is and be in charge of a company that is so worried about supporting stuff going back decades that they can't really break out of the box and innovate.

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2005 05:29      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you very much Tech Angel for pointing me to that quite brilliant and personally revealing speech, however I think you misunderstand me, I did not mean that he is a bored dilettante, quite the opposite. Fear of boredom is not the same as being bored, and he is a restless driven man who always needs a new Everest to climb, and that now that he, having first saved Apple's finances, then revolutionised the hardware, and finally driven the monumentally ambitious MacOS X project to maturity, would never be content to just tweak things here, and put some shine on there. He wants to revolutionise, not evolutionise, and the carpe diem message of his speech is in line with what I meant (even if I did not express it well). He might not wish to take Microsoft's place, but I fairly sure that he would like a much bigger piece of the pie, even if it is only to help him shake things up all the more.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2005 10:44      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
More intriguingly since these machines could easily be made dual boot MacOS/Windows, how will Dell, HP and others (as well as MS) feel about that? It is possible that there might be a fair sized market for people who want to run Windows as their primary OS on stylish Apple hardware, and who might be interested in checking out OSX with this safety blanket, and so this could revive their failed switching campaign by the back door.

Better yet...triple boot Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. Now that would be worth a switch! [Wink]

--------------------

Nick
Mini Geek
Member # 2413

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2005 12:09      Profile for Nick   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well two things I hope to coem from Apple Switching to intel Faster Macs andMaybe a way to upgrade my PCI G4 mac to soemthing els that is like 3 GHz or something. or ceraper Upgrades for my mac Something.

--------------------
~Blade

Posts: 89 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2005 13:41      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo:
Better yet...triple boot Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. Now that would be worth a switch! [Wink]

I've been thinking that same thing. I'm sure it amounts to blasphemy in some circles, but it sounds really fun to me. I've been thinking that, should it be possible, they should nickname them chimera systems. [Wink]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2005 14:06      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would you want Linux and OS Xi on the same machine?

Wouldn't it be easier to just install Darwin Ports, and run all your favourite 'linux' apps directly under OS Xi ?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2005 14:10      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

Wouldn't it be easier to just install Darwin Ports, and run all your favourite 'linux' apps directly under OS Xi ?

Absolutely.

Aside:
You mean like you can do right now? Never mind the fact that Debian, many other distros, and all the BSDs run on PPC already? Debian has PPC-compiled packages for most good pieces of free software already.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2005 15:11      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

I can see reason for it, starting with OSX is pretty but I'm more comfortable with X than I am Mac's windowing system.

Wouldn't it be easier to just install Darwin Ports, and run all your favorite 'linux' apps directly under OS Xi ?Absolutely.
Perhaps, but if I want to use Linux most of the time, and only OSX for certain applications that I rarely use, it seems dual booting makes more sense.

Aside:
You mean like you can do right now? Never mind the fact that Debian, many other distros, and all the BSDs run on PPC already? Debian has PPC-compiled packages for most good pieces of free software already.

Here, here. The only problem I see is that it has to be on a power PC, so my Dual nVidia cards and TV tuner card and every other piece of hardware that I stuck into this thing would have to be replaced with mac compatible hardware.

The question becomes, is the Intel chip they are going to use be x86? There is nothing stopping Intel and Mac from creating a new architecture.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2005 17:56      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:

The question becomes, is the Intel chip they are going to use be x86? There is nothing stopping Intel and Mac from creating a new architecture.

I'm pretty sure it was explicitely talking about the x86 for the moment, though I can see them make their own in the near to distant future

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2005 22:47      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
Thank you very much Tech Angel for pointing me to that quite brilliant and personally revealing speech, however I think you misunderstand me, I did not mean that he is a bored dilettante, quite the opposite...

Oh, I wasn't taking issue with your comments, Cal'. I just picked up on the "Steve was bored" theme in a couple of posts and, having just read his commencement address an hour earlier, used that contrast as a segue.

Steve Jobs seems to epitomize something Albert Einstein once said: "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." A lot of what drives the Microsoft engine (and much of the corporate world) could be characterized as the latter. As you and Serenak implied, Steve (and by extension, Apple) is not driven to be the biggest, but to be the best, the leader. His speech really resonated with me, touching on the source of some of my own unrest. (To see what drives me, read my sig line below...and I bet you can figure out which category I see myself in. [Smile] )

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
spence
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4087

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted June 16, 2005 05:28      Profile for spence     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi ALL

Good to see I'm not the only one who loves macs. I was initally horified at the thought of those 'INTEL INSIDE' stickers being on a mac but now after reading around a bit I think it is making a bit more sense for the following reasons

1) The digital sucure technology (D processors) allow secure distributon of films that can only be viewed on selected devices. Don't ask me how though, all I know is that it a bit of intel wizardry. This is ideal if Apple is to do a film version of iTunes using the HD24 codec for distribution, but it will be a year or so I think beofore broadband gets fast enough to realisically cope (hmm now theres a coinsidence)

2) Speed - the G5 isn't fast enough and all the wizardy (like altavec etc) that give it an edge has been farmed out to sound and graphic processors with the release of tiger and core audio and video.

3) Intel is a pure chip company unlike Motorola who have a masive phone market to deal with or IBM who have all the games consols to produce and develop for (which is a bigger market!)

4) Intel can dump all that retro hardware that is fitted to emulate the old codes used in previous models as Apple can start from scratch,

5) OS X is must be fairly processor independent if the new compiler for X code is anything to go by

6) The ittium chip is dubed as an ideal chip for those comming fom other RISC based platforms, and is already 64bit (I think) maybe by dumping the emulation hardware from it, they've managed to cool it down enough

Spence

Erbo
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2005 09:59      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Wouldn't it be easier to just install Darwin Ports, and run all your favourite 'linux' apps directly under OS Xi?

Sure, you can get Linux and OS X onto one machine right now...but you can't get Windows on that machine with 'em (barring force majeure just as VirtualPC).

As for "why would you want to put all three OSs triple-booting on one machine?", how's this for an answer: "Because I can." Same reason people port Linux to mainframes, GameBoys, and toasters...

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture