homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Is anyone going to address the Intel monopoly?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is anyone going to address the Intel monopoly?
wharton
Newbie Larva
Member # 4064

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted June 09, 2005 08:40      Profile for wharton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or do game consoles now count as General Purpose computers? If not, Intel & AMD will be the only players in this market.

--------------------
South Philly, West of Broad
where tourists die

Posts: 8 | From: South Philadelphia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2005 09:31      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could be a clueless dingbat, but as far as I know, not including all the other processors out there in various server machines and cheap computers (MIPS, PPC, Crusoe [who is going out of business], VIA, and Cyrix to a lesser extent), AMD and Intel are the leaders because of a lack of competition. As far as I know, they aren't strongarming others out of the market. That kind of a monopoly only happens by chance and reputation and availability, not in the MS sense where they buy up anything that starts to make any sense, and tie into markets they don't have monopolies by forcing those products along with products they *do* have a monopoly in.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2005 10:57      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know that Intel has been always perfectly well behaved in getting to the point that they have - but they also have been very lucky.

IMHO - The desktop CPU market is just a niche - a profitable one - but still a niche. Look at the zillions of CPUs that ship in every Car, Microwave, TV, DVD player, DVR, washing machine, etc. etc. etc. And that doesn't count the ones in more specialized applications. There are gazillions of CPUs used in industrial controllers, television production, phone systems, power plants, etc. etc. etc.

Intel doesn't do so well in those markets, and AMD barely plays. If for no other reason than those markets demand that they can keep buying the exact same product for years - not months. Yes, a lot of embedded systems use 8-bit or 16-bit micros, but a lot use 32 bit CPUs too. I have 3 "smart cameras" sitting in front of me right now - each with a different variation of a PowerPC chip in it.

Then there is the mainframe and "mini" market - shrinking still, but still worth quite a few $$$. Just because IBM lost one major contract doesn't mean that they won't still be churning out millions of those PowerPC chips - it's just that they will be going to uses other than the more visable desktop PC market.

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2005 22:20      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monopoly requires 90% of the market. Making processors you have:
IBM (servers mostly, but didn't they also do a chip for the PPC a while ago?), Motorola (Chips for apple, small electronics like PDAs and other embedded systems), AMD (more innovative and picking up popularity), etc.

The the fact is that most chip makers aren't doing PCs, but the market for processors and other chips is a lot bigger than just the PC -- and is always growing. Besides that Intel is using an open architure (x86 -- that isn't to say all their specs are open), and so there is nothing stopping small people getting into the game.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2005 04:03      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doco:
Intel doesn't do so well in those markets, and AMD barely plays. If for no other reason than those markets demand that they can keep buying the exact same product for years - not months. Yes, a lot of embedded systems use 8-bit or 16-bit micros, but a lot use 32 bit CPUs too. I have 3 "smart cameras" sitting in front of me right now - each with a different variation of a PowerPC chip in it.

Would you say that this is because intel doesn't have such a "strongARM"? [Razz]
Maybe they need to step up and onto the xScale!
[Wink]

supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2005 05:31      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tut-an-Geek:
Maybe they need to step up and onto the xScale!

There'll be a movie when they do. It'll star Whitney Houston and Angela Bassett and it'll be called Waiting to xScale. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
wharton
Newbie Larva
Member # 4064

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2005 16:25      Profile for wharton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, thanks for the insight. I'll leave the [shake head] okes where they are.

--------------------
South Philly, West of Broad
where tourists die

Posts: 8 | From: South Philadelphia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture