homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Classic support is dying. And I hate it.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Classic support is dying. And I hate it.
californiarockr
Assimilated
Member # 1986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2005 22:41      Profile for californiarockr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So classic seems to be getting slower and slower for me, which is really starting to piss me off. Whenever I want to play classic games such as Rogue Spear or Escape Velocity (the first and only worthwhile one), I have to boot classic, which is lagging more and more each day. Even cleaning and repairing the HD didnt help much. Its getting so bad that I might actually buy an older mac that can boot into 9, or *gasp* buy a PC to play the oldies. I would lose EV, but gain the original Half life...

Anyone else noticing this, or is it just me?

--------------------
lol

Posts: 361 | From: guess... :/ | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2005 18:27      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never had patience for classic mode, so I just switched back to OS9 on my IBook. It is slow as molasses on a snail riding a turtle's back with a headwind. I absolutely hated every minute of classic mode.

It's gone the way of DOS, I'm afraid. Like sands through the hourglass...

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2005 18:38      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ewomack:
Like sands through the hourglass...

...So are the days of our lives.

Did anyone else start singing the background music while hearing the voiceover? And I don't even watch soaps!!!!

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2005 20:55      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just because it's Classic doesn't mean it's not OS 9. That means all those old tricks you used to use for 9 (and pre-9) apply. Rebuld the desktop file. Fiddle with extensions and eliminate those you don't need. Uhm.... zapping the PRAM doesn't do much anymore with X, but you could still do it if you wanted.

Anyone else remember anything about OS 9 maintanence? Oh... delete the :System Folder:Preferences:AppleShare Prep file just in case that's causing weird stuff. While you're in Preferences, get rid of Finder Preferences, System Preferences, Users & Groups Data File, and.... uh.. there was one more that I can't recall right now. And for the sake of all that is Macintosh, get rid of the Apple Menu Options Control Panel!

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2005 21:59            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
quote:
Originally posted by ewomack:
Like sands through the hourglass...

...So are the days of our lives.

Did anyone else start singing the background music while hearing the voiceover? And I don't even watch soaps!!!!

Unfortunately, Pamela is a big fan of DOOL. So I know that theme music all too well...

My previous girlfriend, in college, liked B&B. What is it with women and soap operas? (Oh, except for you, Rhonwyyn.)

IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2005 00:51      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While EV Nova is the only EV title that works on OSX, the original EV and EVO (my personal favourite [Wink] ) are available as plug-in total conversions, meaning you can run them at full speed on OSX (albeit with mugh higher system requirements).

You can download them from the EV Nova add-ons page.

Not that that helps your decision, though, as this also lets you run the originals on Windows.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture