homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Linux... that just works? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Linux... that just works?
dildo_bangings
Geek Larva
Member # 4090

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2005 04:55      Profile for dildo_bangings         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i tink that you cant beat windows in some areas like office applications. some linux functionality can be easily replaced with cygwin. i haven't worked with macs for some time, but imho they are not any better than windows. dont get me wrong i have nothing against linux - i have linux on 1 of my pc's. I am just not impressed by openoffice. If this is fixed than i think nobody will ever want to use windows

--------------------
Your attitude is unacceptable please punish yourself.

GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2005 16:32      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, Cygwin is FOSS Linux emulator, counting software that runs under it to be "Windows" is like calling windows applications that run under WINE to be "Linux." So to answer your "linux functionality can be replaced with Cygwin." I propose that Windows functionality can be replaced with "WINE."

But running any emulator isn't the best solution. Linux and Unix is still the best system to run a webserver, and I certianly wouldn't want the pentlies of running an emulator to visitors viewing a website.

If you want real type setting in your document Tex (or a LaTex(e)) is the way go. Open Office does everything that you could want in a word processor, and if you disagree and feel it's missing something, add it. If you feel something is missing from MSWord -- suck it up, you can't do a damn thing about it.

I'm not impressed MSWord, and would take emacs and Tex over it anyday. Or even Emacs/vi/nano and HTML. I must Admit that I like Excel, and OO.o's spreadsheet doesn't quite do everything the way I'd like it too -- but OO.o's spreadsheet does work enough for me to do anything I can imagine wanting to do in a spreadsheet. IE is crap, Outlook is crap. Give me Fire-Fox and PINE (I know, not FOSS) anyday.

I'm sold linux, and think that it's closer to being a "desktop" computer than most people give it credit for. I also understand that the right tool for the job for the right person is really the way to go. If you know MS Word, and you work most effeciently with it -- use it. If you can make prettier art in Photoshop than you do in GIMP, use it. And so with the oppisites.

If there is a FOSS tool that works "as well" as I need for a job, I'll take it over a comercial product anyday, because:
- I'm a poor college student and paying an arm and a leg for MS Office isn't in my budget.
- I like the ideals behind the FOSS movement
- Using free software, tells the deveopers that they software is important and encourages them to develop more.

As a programmer -- I will have no problems working on commerical software if called to do so; however, I will not sign anything that prohibits me from contributing to the FOSS movment in my free time. Not that I've donated alot of code to the movment, yet.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2005 23:39      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used all three as my primary machine at various times. But on any machine I use, Windows, Mac, or *nix, the first thing I do is remove MS Office (if possible) and install OpenOffice or NeoOffice/J. I even took the trouble to install it on my network drive in high school - now that was a pain in the ass.

And yet, I have no intention of adding to it any time soon - I just find that it crashes less, opens everything I throw at it, and has nice little bonus features, like word completion. YMMV - and apparently, it does.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2005 08:52      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
First, Cygwin is FOSS Linux emulator, counting software that runs under it to be "Windows" is like calling windows applications that run under WINE to be "Linux." So to answer your "linux functionality can be replaced with Cygwin." I propose that Windows functionality can be replaced with "WINE."

But running any emulator isn't the best solution. Linux and Unix is still the best system to run a webserver, and I certianly wouldn't want the pentlies of running an emulator to visitors viewing a website.

If you want real type setting in your document Tex (or a LaTex(e)) is the way go. Open Office does everything that you could want in a word processor, and if you disagree and feel it's missing something, add it. If you feel something is missing from MSWord -- suck it up, you can't do a damn thing about it.

I'm not impressed MSWord, and would take emacs and Tex over it anyday. Or even Emacs/vi/nano and HTML. I must Admit that I like Excel, and OO.o's spreadsheet doesn't quite do everything the way I'd like it too -- but OO.o's spreadsheet does work enough for me to do anything I can imagine wanting to do in a spreadsheet. IE is crap, Outlook is crap. Give me Fire-Fox and PINE (I know, not FOSS) anyday.

I'm sold linux, and think that it's closer to being a "desktop" computer than most people give it credit for. I also understand that the right tool for the job for the right person is really the way to go. If you know MS Word, and you work most effeciently with it -- use it. If you can make prettier art in Photoshop than you do in GIMP, use it. And so with the oppisites.

If there is a FOSS tool that works "as well" as I need for a job, I'll take it over a comercial product anyday, because:
- I'm a poor college student and paying an arm and a leg for MS Office isn't in my budget.
- I like the ideals behind the FOSS movement
- Using free software, tells the deveopers that they software is important and encourages them to develop more.

As a programmer -- I will have no problems working on commerical software if called to do so; however, I will not sign anything that prohibits me from contributing to the FOSS movment in my free time. Not that I've donated alot of code to the movment, yet.

I was a PINE junkie too, but still yearned for graphical e-mail, and proper imap support.

I use thunderbird now and I'm happy with it.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2005 16:44      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
DNM Wrote:

I use thunderbird now and I'm happy with it.

I used to use Thunderbird then I got out of Junior College and
finally had money for something better.

-

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2005 18:27      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use mutt and Thunderbird. Personally, I rather love mutt, but I must admit that Thunderbird is really convenient for work - managing /many/ accounts, and moving mail between them all.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture