homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Calling all Euro types

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Calling all Euro types
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2005 12:33      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's nearly here - this Saturday night - it's Eurovision! Are you as excited as I am? Are you planning your evening around it, with a bucket of wotsits and a case of beer as well? Are you also proud of the example of unity through culture that it represents to the rest o the World? I'm counting the minutes, me. [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 19, 2005 13:44      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to quote Old Harry's Game "it's not quite as fun as having 200 lobsters attatched to your testicles"

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2005 13:55      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin] I only watch it for Terry Wogan's surreal commentry - it always sounds like he's increasingly losing the plot, old Tel. Oh - and some of the sequined outfits are simply fabulous. [Wink]

--------------------

Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2005 15:19      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well I never watch it, but that is mostly because I do not own a Television.

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2005 00:50      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, should be good. I heard a great quote from old Tel the other day. It went along the lines of:

"In the past my commentary has been a bit off, because I've started drinking around the 7th song, but with the quality of the talent this year, I'll probably be hitting the vodka around the third.."

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2005 11:50      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know if it's available in the U.S.? Cable?

Being a lifelong yankee, I've never seen a eurovision song contest.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2005 14:39      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh well, to see one is something, as long as you do not mind the kitch, sequins and camp.

On the other hand, youn might gouge your eyes out from the vision.

One of our local pubs is running a Eurovision night, come dressed up in the most outrageous costume and see if you maange to outdo the contestants.

Copious amounts of alcohol will be consumed during the night.

Of course, past winners include ABBA, Brotherhood of Man and Celine Dion, so you can see what sort of talent you are up against.

</eurosarcasm>

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2005 16:24      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bugger, the one decent thing on the telly all year and I'm in the frickin' US of A....
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2005 17:30      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
Bugger, the one decent thing on the telly all year and I'm in the frickin' US of A....

I can always record it for you if you like. [Wink]

--------------------

Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 21, 2005 07:33      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure it will be on Filelist.org later... [Big Grin]
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2005 05:20      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it wasn't that good, and it seems that everyone hates the Brits- I thought we has the best song, yet we came third from last. (In the final) The acts were not that special- nobody ripped off any clothing all night. The highlight was someone who looked like Ruby Wax using angle grinders on stage. The "WTF? moment" was provided by the Moldovans having a song about their granny playing drums- she sat on the back of the stage in a rocking chair for most of the song, then got up at the end and played out of time.

I thought the after show party coverage on BBC3 was better- Julia Morris getting groped by drunk Norwegians, and footage I was amazed I hadn't seen before- the failed Irish river dancing on tables at the press conference, and having them collapse.

Still, it is a joy to have on the telly, even if it does provide an example of why the rest of Europe is wierd. I'm sure the BNP love it.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2005 07:10      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched Eurovision (it is an annual joke at Europe's expense here on SBS television).

Israel was awesome, I absolutely loved that song. I think it might have had something to do with the girl though -

http://shiri-maimon.co.il/shiri/gal/show/ashke07.jpg

The UK was abysmal, by far the worst performance barring Moldova.

Greece was stupid and didn't deserve to win (hey, this is coming from a Greek as well).

The voting politics were equally humourous. Croatia and Turkey gave full points to Greece and got none in return. Old wounds heal slowly..

Or maybe we are just pricks [Big Grin]

I wish the SBS commentary was available on DVD, he had me cracking up with his witty comments on European culture.

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture