homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » In other geeky news... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: In other geeky news...
toobe

Member # 3783

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2005 15:48      Profile for toobe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody seen the new Hitchhiker's movie yet? What'd you think? Or, why aren't you going?

--------------------
Studies show reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it.

Posts: 175 | From: Victoria, BC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2005 16:16      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm seeing it on Sunday, I'll let you all know how it was then. [thumbsup]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2005 21:41      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got back from seeing it a few minutes ago...

Wasn't too bad... Though, some of the liberties they took in changing it were a little irritating.

Also, the design of Marvin was... aggrivating to me, heh. Though, the original they used in the TV show made a cameo...

They actually went the whole movie without going over *why* knowing where your towel is at is important...

Over all, I'd say, fans will want to see it. If you havn't already read the books.. Either read them first, or, wait to rent it if you see it...

That being said, it was still pretty funny..

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2005 22:38      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked it. There's a lot that's missing from it that was in the book, and lots of new material, but it stays very true to the book. And even though some parts have great special effects, others are more reminiscint of the B movie style that is so right for this kind of thing.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted April 30, 2005 00:56      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and, the girl they had play Trillian has very pretty eyes [thumbsup] [Big Grin]

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2005 03:23      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by neotatsu:
Oh, and, the girl they had play Trillian has very pretty eyes [thumbsup] [Big Grin]

Please tell me they didn't portray Trillian as a ditzy blonde like they did in the TV show.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2005 04:50      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:

Please tell me they didn't portray Trillian as a ditzy blonde like they did in the TV show.
Not quite. Zooey Deschanel remains a brunette - and a non-ditzy one, although the love triangle sub-plot, and the lack of reference to her astrophysics qualifications does paint a slightly different picture to the radio Trillian.

I liked Zaphod - the whole Bill Clinton/surfer dude thing worked well. Marvin was underused. The vogons were amusing, but Anna "Duckface" Chancellor's character didn't really have any background given for it to make sense.

Overall the movie barrels along without doing anything more than outlining the characters - shame really, but nevermind - it's good fun all the same.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2005 05:00      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
They actually went the whole movie without going over *why* knowing where your towel is at is important...

Indeed! This was one of the things that rather annoyed me...

On the plus side, I thought the 'updating' of The Guide worked very well, and that Stephen Fry did a bang-up job of voicing things that just wouldn't have been as funny if anyone else had taken on the part.

Also thought Martin Freeman did an especially good job as Arthur, even though I had a hard time at first imagining anyone but Hugh Laurie in the role - I think he made it his own, with a such a very strong sense of Britishness.

/me has had 'So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!' stuck in her head for several days now... Grrrrrr....

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
i_need_a_pillow
Geek
Member # 2765

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2005 14:28      Profile for i_need_a_pillow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw it last night (it opened yesterday in the States).

After having seen a nasty review or two and hearing a bunch of stuff that got changed, added, or removed, I was expecting a bit of a disappointment. Most of the things that worried me were actually done rather well, though, so the movie ended up being more of a pleasant surprise.

I agree they should've explained the whole towel thing.

--------------------
The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Posts: 104 | From: I'm here. Where else? | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2005 16:52      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
Indeed! This was one of the things that rather annoyed me...

On the plus side, I thought the 'updating' of The Guide worked very well, and that Stephen Fry did a bang-up job of voicing things that just wouldn't have been as funny if anyone else had taken on the part.

Also thought Martin Freeman did an especially good job as Arthur, even though I had a hard time at first imagining anyone but Hugh Laurie in the role - I think he made it his own, with a such a very strong sense of Britishness.

/me has had 'So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!' stuck in her head for several days now... Grrrrrr....

Yeah, I thought they did a pretty good job with Arthur, though, as you say, it was hard to picture anyone but Hugh acting the part... (I've been singin that song all damn day /pif)

I also thought they did a pretty good job with Zaphod, though, I didn't expect it to go so well... The only thing that irked me was the way they did the second head... though I suppose it fit a little better that way, heh.

Really, why did they have to make Marvin look so completely rediculous? Didn't care for the Ford they had, either... I got over the fact that they casted him black for PR purposes, and instead am slightly irritated that he was just plain crappy at the role, heh... But, then, I suppose it's hard to picture anyone but the original...

>Edit<
Oh, and was anyone else dissapointed they didn't have the bit about Ford being a penguin when they got picked up by the HoG? *shrugs*

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

n4dmx
Geek
Member # 3177

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2005 00:13      Profile for n4dmx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have liked to see Mr. Bean play Arthur. [Big Grin]

I actually liked Ford in this, but not Zaphod (I keep picturing Johnny Depp in this role for some reason), and I agree that Marvin looked a bit absurd.

As usual, I liked the book better, but the movie was still pretty entertaining. [Wink]

Posts: 218 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 01, 2005 11:52      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
[QUOTE]

Hugh Laurie played it on TV???? Do you know if it's on DVD?? I have been a huge fan(ok, and I have a slight crush) of his ever since Blackadder, and now we get to see him on American tv as Dr House, where he plays a scruffy, pill-addicted. bitter, cranky and rude, but brilliant doctor. Miss the British accent though.

He was actually voted "sexiest tv doctor", so I guess Americans are finally appreciating him!

Anybody read his book, "The Gun Seller"???

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Unclear_Physicist
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3784

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2005 13:52      Profile for Unclear_Physicist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snupy, if you like Hugh Laurie's work, it might be an idea to see if they have released the TV adaptation (I think it was either one or two series) of P.G. Wodehouse's 'Jeeves and Wooster' on DVD, I was too young to fully appreciate it but apparently it was quite good.

As well, 'A Bit of Fry and Laurie' was very humorous as well

--------------------
Le geek est chic

Posts: 36 | From: Guildford, Surrey | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2005 13:54      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surely 'Stuart Little' was his greatest work so far, huh? [Wink]

--------------------

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2005 14:02      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Jeeves and Wooster" is out on DVD but not "A Bit of Fry and Laurie".

spungo-would I like Jeeves and Wooster??

He was in Flight of The Phoenix with Dennis Quaid-not bad, but not a whole lotta acting to do.(Besides, next to Dennis Quaid, pretty much anyone can look like Brando [Big Grin] )

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2005 15:21      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
spungo-would I like Jeeves and Wooster??

<Tweek> Arrgghhh - don't ask me - I can't take the pressure. Need more coffee. </Tweek>

Err - sorry 'bout that. Honest answer? Ain't got the foggiest, Ma'am. If you're familiar with the PG Wodehouse books then you'll know. I thought they were funny, but that's not anything to go by, is it?

Anyway, I'd say - on balance - go for it... just don't fish-slap me when you hate it. [Wink]

edit: sod it - yes - it's good stuff. There you go - I've stuck my neck out. Tell you what - if you buy it and hate it, you can always sell it on to me. [Wink]

--------------------

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2005 15:29      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>>I thought they were funny, but that's not anything to go by, is it?

Yes, actually- unfortunately we have the same sense of humour-except for the [Roll Eyes] Dudley Moore thing with all the "c" words!!

--------------------

neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted May 01, 2005 15:32      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
[QB]Do you know if it's on DVD??

Yes, it is. But, unless they start a new run of it with the movie out now, it's not in print anymore... I'm lucky enough to have procured me a copy after much hassle ordering it [thumbsup] [Big Grin]
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2005 15:54      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to clarify - Hugh Laurie is not in the TV version of the Hitchikers' Guide to the Galaxy, although the chap bears a passing resemblance to him (and is a bit 'Wooster-ish', if truth be told).

--------------------

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2005 16:35      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh!! I knew that didn't sound right-thanks for clarifying!

--------------------

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2005 18:40      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw the film. I thought it was pretty good. Naturally, the book was better, but that's always the case, isn't it? I can see how the song would get stuck in your head.

quote:

Of course they told you why. It's so you can loan it to a hot, wet, naked woman who has just finished her shower! [Razz]

I didn't like all of the changes. For instance, Deep Thought on Magrathea and Trillian's capture by Vogons. Some of the new bits were wonderful though, like the crew turning into yarn dolls. I didn't have very high expectations going into the movie because the tv previews for it make it look like it is supposed to be an action/adventure film, so that might be why I was so impressed. Sure, it isn't stellar and award winning, but we had fun.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2005 18:53      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, there's an interesting thought. How many of the theatre-goers were carrying towels with them?

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
zboy
Mini Geek
Member # 2969

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2005 20:01      Profile for zboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had my towel with me.

My overall feeling, was that they captured the essence of the books. They did not spend time explaining things, it just happened. I remember the first time I read the book and I was so confused. It taught me not to think, and the movie moved so quickly and without explanations that it brought this same feeling of helpless brainlessness.

Yes, there were things that were different from the books, but still fun and went after the mood of the books.

Posts: 72 | From: A galaxy far, far, away ... | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2005 22:01      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So long and thanks for all the fish,
We're sorry it has come to this.
Your planets about to be destroyed,
no sense in getting all annoyed...
So long and thanks for all the fish,
so long and thanks for all the fish,
so long, so long, so long, so long
so looooooonnnnng,
and thanks for all the fish.

Everyone stayed for the credits too, and saw the guide entry after the song, yes?

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2005 23:48      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Just to clarify - Hugh Laurie is not in the TV version of the Hitchikers' Guide to the Galaxy, although the chap bears a passing resemblance to him (and is a bit 'Wooster-ish', if truth be told).

In the BBC TV series, Arthur Dent was played by Simon Jones, the same guy that played him in the radio series.

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture