homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » UK elections

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UK elections
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2005 16:06      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UK Geeks:

So, we come to another general election... Michael Howard for the Tories, and Tony B (again) for Labour. As always, Charles Kennedy stands for the Lib Dems.

I must confess that despite Ruth Kelly's sensible ideas for education I am put off by Labour's handling of the War in Iraq.

Were I born a few months earlier, (I won't be 18 for the election) I would vote Tory, although I think the election is anyone's game... The Lib Dems stand a pretty good chance of getting in, or at least siezing a fair few seats...

Who do you want to get elected?

Who do you think will actually win in the end?

--------------------
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent."
--Isaac Asimov

Posts: 490 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2005 16:58      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My bet would be that a politician wins and the people lose. Just like in the States.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2005 18:27      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I'd like to see the Bliar and his mates thrown out, mass-murder is a pretty serious failing in any political party, so they deserve to go.

But I'll be thoroughly annoyed if the Tories get elected on a tide of anti-war feeling, as they strongly backed the war at the time, and are just being opportunistic scumbags at the moment. Besides, anyone who tries to get elected by sticking the boot into racial or ethnic minorities (eg Gypsies) will never get my vote.

If I was in Scotland, I'd be voting SNP, in England, I'd vote Lib-Dem.

Britains stupid first-past-the-post electoral system means there could be a lot of surprises, the actual end result is anyones guess.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2005 18:51      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't Blair really down in popularity? Can he even win with what's happened during his administration?

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2005 01:29      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
...If I was in Scotland, I'd be voting SNP...

Unfortunately about the only thing the SNP agree on is an independant Scotland, which while being a fine aim in itself, doesn't make for cohesive policy after they have been elected.
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2005 01:42      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone knows that the weather decides UK elections, so why bother speculating.
Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rimaraf
Newbie Larva
Member # 2954

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2005 04:58      Profile for Rimaraf   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ewomack:
Isn't Blair really down in popularity? Can he even win with what's happened during his administration?

It depends on what statistics you look at, but if you compare, for example, the most recent poll published by Reuters, Blair's Labour party is actually 2.3 percentage points more popular than the margin they won by at the last election in 2001. As always statistics can be misleading - polls can be unrepresentative and the voter turnout at the 2001 election was an all time low of 59% compared to 71% in 1997.

It does seem that Blair has a lead right now and I expect he will win. As always, there are a huge number of issues and for a voter to objectively compare and contrast them all before making a decision is no mean feat. This is a task that I suspect few people give any serious time to and instead rely on a few highly emotive issues and/or past voting as their main guide, or they don't bother voting at all.

Although the two main parties' web sites will feed you with all kinds of conflicting statements and data, there are a number of key differences between the two. The Conservative anti-Euro stance is one of the most obvious ones. The current chancellor continues to be (at least for appearances sake) open-minded to the single currency. As for the Iraq war, I doubt this will be a genuine deciding factor for most people.

--------------------
blog

fishd
Mini Geek
Member # 2416

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2005 05:35      Profile for fishd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
My bet would be that a politician wins and the people lose. Just like in the States.

Amen.

--------------------
--
Yeah, what he said... but funnier.

Posts: 59 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 16:14      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In fairness to the Tories, they have had a change of leader since the War, and they are protesting that they were as deceived as the rest of us regarding the WMDs. Personally, I would give them the benefit of the doubt over that.

[Edited to avoid spelling nazis]

Posts: 490 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2005 17:52      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much do you think the Blair / Brown feud will play into the election? It seems like it gives their opponents a lot of fuel. I was listening to the phone-in on the Sonia Deol radio show the other day and the callers were all over the map. It did seem like Blair will be losing votes to the Lib Dems, especially people voting on the war issue.

Maybe Jaime Oliver will run on the school lunch platform. LOL

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2005 04:59      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I for one will be voting for the lib dems as they seem to have the only half decent party and policys

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2005 09:45      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:

This is actually a very stupid (and almost meaningless) remark often used by people trying to justify why they are too lazy/apathetic to vote. Democracy is not some holy grail of perfect government, and politics will always be at times a dirty business, as greed, backstabbing, treachery, selling out and corruption can never be completely eliminated from any form of government, and politicians will always be fallible humans, not super heroes. But democracy can be a reasonable way of mitigating the worst effects of these things, providing people of good will get involved, and vote. You will seldom have much positive to vote for, unless you are seriously deluded, but by voting for the least worst alternative, you will at least be trying to stop them all getting worse and worse.

If more ordinary people took a serious interest in politics, do you think the Labour government would have been quite so smug during the push to get their Anti Terrorist Bill through parliament, which among other things gives our intelligence services all the powers of a secret police? I was appalled when Blair accused his opponents of playing "daft games", but as our press saw that the only buttons they could press with their readership were the usual xenophobic prejudices, they did not hold him to account. On the Friday when our government was so generously granting us the right to imprisonment without trial, our tabloids deemed that the story their readers would take most interest in was Michael Jackson's trial. This is as clear a demonstration as possible as to what happens when so few people take an active interest in politics unless it hits them directly in the wallet.

This is an interesting site if you are interested in maximising the discomfort your vote will give to our government.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2005 13:12      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I make it a point of principle to exercise my vote.

As a point of last resort I would spoil the paper as a protest, though it has never come to that yet.

A lot of people fought long and hard to gain the right of universal sufferage in the UK and it is a disservice to their efforts not to exercise that right IMHO.

The UK electoral system is not perfect but it is better than no representation at all. If you want to change it vote for it, lobby for it, go into politics even. Just don't sit at home doing nothing and then come crying to me or the rest of us who vote and whine about it... [Mad]

In the words of Bernie (of Trust fame) "Use your vote!"

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture