homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Bean vs. Ender

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bean vs. Ender
sumnchai
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3262

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2005 09:52      Profile for sumnchai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok - So I just finished rereading all of Orson Scott Card's books from the Ender series. The question is, who would kick the most ass?

Card seems to believe that Ender would, because he's so empathic. Now, I may like Ender more... but as for kicking ass? Give me Bean anyday.

Anyone else? Who would it be? Ender, or Bean?

--------------------
[img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style3,Anal-spc-Orgies.png[/img]

My Photos

Posts: 47 | From: Amherst, MA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2005 10:40      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only read the books in the series that had to do with Ender (never read Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, etc.) so I dont' know how much ass Bean would kick. I do know that in Ender's adult years, ass kicking wasn't really his thing. Actually it was never really his thing as a child. He could do it, he just never liked it. So based on that Bean would probably be the better warrior.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2005 12:57      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have only read Ender's Game, I await my S.O getting her act together and lending me Speaker For The Dead, so my opinion is based solely on Ender's childhood.

I agree; Bean would kick most ass. Bean appears creative, and not afraid of a fight. Ender could kick some serious ass, but would feel guilty afterwards, and cry himself to sleep. Ender should never, ever get drunk. [Wink]

I did like Ender better though, as with many people who read the books, I saw bits of me in Ender, and bits of Ender in me. I liked his empathy, understood his nasty streak. Ender's Game was one of the few books that really moved me to tears.

Posts: 490 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2005 12:57      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe OSC actually says this in one of the Shadow books ... or maybe it's Bean thinking it (in which case, given how brutally honest Bean usually is, he's probably right): Bean is a better tactician than Ender, but Ender was the superior choice because he knew how to get people to perform. He had the people skills to understand his underlings so that they wouldn't resent him, and (perhaps) even to understand the Buggers/Formics.

Speaking of which ... I had a teacher who used the word "bugger" once in class. After a girl told him she was, "shocked" ( [Eek!] ), that he'd use language like that [Roll Eyes] he told her that it was from Ender's Game.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2005 12:59      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
... understand the Buggers/Formics. ...

NO SPOILERS!

--------------------
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent."
--Isaac Asimov

Posts: 490 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
sumnchai
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3262

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2005 13:21      Profile for sumnchai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the question was who would you follow to the gates of hell, I'd choose Ender as well. And yes, in Ender's Shadow, they show that Bean was more brilliant but was unable to inspire the kind of fierce loyalty that Ender could engender.

But when it comes to cool, calculation that doesn't need reliance on others - a fight where there was no one to save yourself but yourself - I'd rather be Bean.

But then again - Ender followed total war - beat your opponent until he can't stand again - let alone stand against you. *sigh* So hard to choose!

Man - I love these books. The end of Ender's Shadow really did move me to tears.

quote:
The Buggers have finally, finally learned that we humans value each and every individual human life. We don't throw our forces away because each soldier is the queen of a one-member hive.But they've learned this lesson in time for it to be hopelessly wrong - for we humans do, when the cause is sufficient, spend our own lives. We throw ourselves onto the grenade to save our buddies in the foxhole. We rise out of the trenches and charge the entrenched enemy and die like maggots under a blowtorch. We strap bombs on our bodies and and blow ourselves up in the midst of our enemies. We are, when the cause is sufficient, insane.

--------------------
[img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style3,Anal-spc-Orgies.png[/img]

My Photos

Posts: 47 | From: Amherst, MA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 02, 2005 15:20      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd vote for Bean. He's hysterical. Although, I do prefer Rowan Atkinson in Johnny English.

Oh wait, not THAT Bean?!

/me sulks away

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
crazykidqueso05
Geek Larva
Member # 3854

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2005 12:19      Profile for crazykidqueso05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe...I've read all the books and am awaiting the Shadow of Gaints to come out.

Bean is smarter and more tactically aware than Ender, yet Ender was the better choice for the war. He had a way of drawing people in and making them go above and beyond thier best.

--------------------
These boots were made for walkin' and that's what they're gonna do, theses boots are made for walkin', they're gonna walk all over you!

YIM: crazykidqueso05

Posts: 25 | From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2005 13:22      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ender all the way. Not only does he inspire love and loyalty, but he destroys his enemies so completely that they can never ever rise again. This is true both when he's leading an army and when he's alone. Remember his fight in the bathroom with Bonzo? Ender walked away. Bonzo went home in a body bag. Ender wasn't proud of himself for what he did, but Bonzo was never going to bother him again. Contrast that to Bean and Achilles. Bean trapped Achilles in a ventilation shaft with the help of some friends, and then turned Achilles over to the authorities, thereby setting himself and his friends up for the disaster that happened after Achilles escaped from prison.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zargof McBain
Mini Geek
Member # 3856

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2005 13:34      Profile for Zargof McBain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
I'd vote for Bean. He's hysterical. Although, I do prefer Rowan Atkinson in Johnny English.

Oh wait, not THAT Bean?!

/me sulks away

But neither of them come close to Blackadder though.

But if you mean the other Bean then it would have to be as Boromir, but his performance in Lady Chatterly's Lover was pretty impressive as well.

--------------------
Smile. It makes people wonder what you're thinking

Posts: 75 | From: A dark place | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2005 15:45      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Atkinson in The Thin Blue Line. Well heck, I like everyone on TTBL! [Smile]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zim'et
Alpha Geek
Member # 2448

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2005 20:35      Profile for Zim'et         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ender. He's just all around cooler. I really don't like Bean very much, gifted people are great, but pretentious gifted people piss me off.

--------------------
3 2 1... Let's Jam

Posts: 254 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2005 22:16      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zim'et:
Ender. He's just all around cooler. I really don't like Bean very much, gifted people are great, but pretentious gifted people piss me off.

I agree that it's Ender, but I didn't really see Bean as pretentious. He was smarter than anyone he met and he knew it, and modesty would be dangerous in many of the situations he lived in. He also knew that he could never be Ender's equal overall, though.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture