homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Beauty and the Geek (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Beauty and the Geek
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2005 14:12      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GreyGirl:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
The only TV I watch now is "The Simpsons" and an occasional episode of "Arrested Development".

Your TV watching habits are about to change.

Teletubbies, The Wiggles, Sesame Street ........

Did I miss something?

And VeggieTales rocks. I love the Christmas Pierogi Song.

It seems like you missed my little announcement. [Wink]

If there is anyone who hasn't heard, I am expecting my first child late this September, or possibly early October. [Big Grin]

And, yes, Veggie Tales rocks.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2005 15:31      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm I can just imagine if the Wiggles met Veggie Tales. Bob, Larry and the gang would freak out if they heard the Vegtable Soup song. Even if they just met Anthony they would be doomed.

Noah is almost 15 months now. He could be down the hall, but if the Wiggles come on, you had better move out of his way because he is in front of the set dancing 2 seconds later.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2005 15:35      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are all pre schooler progs Grey Girl... (although I guess you already knew that).

The sort that my four year old daughter loves to watch (and yeah 'tubbies are considered *seriously* "Doh" by her and her friends - but then it is aimed at two year olds.... [Smile] )

Like it or not Peebs *is* going to find herself subjected to a lot of that stuff over the next few years.

Soon my daughter Danielle will be moving on to "childrens' TV" but with a 5 month old following up I am doomed to at least another 4-5 years of it (more if we have another one, which is on the cards for a couple of years' time)

Luckily here in the UK the BBC have a dedicated preschool channel called CBeebies with pretty high quality output (some of which I even *actually* enjoy!) on the whole.

She quite likes Nick Jr. too but I find some of their stuff annoying (Wiggles, Dora the Explorer, Barney...) but I do like their late evening offering "Noggin" which runs many classic (i.e. I remember them from my childhood) shows like Bagpuss, Mr Benn, Clangers, King Rollo, etc. etc. - actually I think they put that on as a reward for parents who've put up with hours of Wiggles, Bananas in Pyjamas, Engie Benjie, etc.

BTW any GC'ers with pre schoolers who haven't found it might want to check out the CBeebies website which Danielle considers the whole of the internet at present and whenever I go online says "when you've done Daddy, can I go on the Cbeebies website?" Considering she's 4yrs and can now spend upto an hour amusing herself with stories and interactive educational games on the site that's good enough for me...

And in case you DID miss it PB is with child... (surely you didn't really miss that?)

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2005 23:27      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know... On veggietales... They talk alot about Larry being a cucumber not a 'gerkin'.. But, they never mention the fact that Bob, is in fact, a fruit, not a veggie..

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2005 08:28      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
Like it or not Peebs *is* going to find herself subjected to a lot of that stuff over the next few years.

She could always go the route that my parents went...I was watching Dr. Who and Star Trek TOS when I was very, very wee. I believe that Trek had a major role in helping me form my morals later in life, too. [Big Grin]

I used to babysit a lot, and when infants got twitchy, I used to put the nature channel on. The announcers always have very soothing voices. It gets very young sprogs less hyper than some musical, bouncy kid's program.

Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2005 09:23      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh boy did I miss this one!

Princess Buttercup's having a baby! Congrats.

I recognized the shows Serenak, I just didn't want to make an assumption. [Smile]

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2005 09:26      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The wiggles make me twitch with anger.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2005 16:11      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
The wiggles make me twitch with anger.

I always find it amusing that they didn't start out as a kids band

Oh, and they originated about two suburbs from where I'm living. Bizarre.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2005 17:03      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean there was life *before* Captain Feathersword...?

"Blow me down... I gotta stop saying that..."

Arrrrggghhhh - they're eating my brain....
[Eek!]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

fiona
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3430

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2005 12:01      Profile for fiona     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by neotatsu:
Not only insulting and demeaning, but, quite extremely disgusting.... According to that site, the actual *POINT* of the show is to match smart guys with empty headed women... *shaking his head*

I know I'm a little late on this discussion, but I was googling this show and saw this posting. I have to comment. I know one of the ladies that was a "beauty" on this show.

I don't know what site you're referring too that implies it's about matching up smart men with empty headed women, but I can assure you the woman I know that participated in this is intelligent, funny, and yes...beautiful. She is most certainly not empty headed. To assume that they're bimbos just because their beautiful is just as offensive and rude for me to think that anyone labeled a geek wear pocket protectors and horn rimmed glasses. But I know better and I wouldn't assume anything based on the word "geek".

So you don't like reality shows. Fine. Don't watch it. I don't care for them either and I'm sick of all the find-a-husband-and-make-a-million-while-your-at-it shows myself. I probably would not have watched this show had my friend not been on it. But I plan to because I know my friend, and I know from what little she can contractually say, that it was a fun, wonderful experience that she enjoyed.

But I have to say - the producers of this show were not looking for idiots. They chose my friend on her personality just as much as her looks. They liked her communication skills and smart wit. If it were demeaning, offensive and insulting to anyone - not just her, but including the guys and other women in this show - she would not have participated in it.

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2005 12:15      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fiona: The original link that started this post ( here ) includes such exciting phrases as:
quote:
The show will pair seven brainy nerds with seven dim beauties in couples arranged by Kutcher the matchmaker,
Being that this is the sole source of information I have on this show, calling the beauties "dim" certainly makes it sound as if the producers are intentionally looking for dim-witted bimbos to pair with brainy geeks.

I certainly hope that your ascertation of this production is more accurate then People's.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
fiona
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3430

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2005 12:55      Profile for fiona     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who knows. It could come out that way, once editting gets a hold of it, but all I know is that my friend had a ball and enjoyed it and didn't feel she sacrificed her integrity or and did not play the bimbo just to suit the producers.

And as far as People...well, that's a gossip rag. I wouldn't put much stock in it's accuracy.

I don't know. All i have left to say on this is no matter who it is or what the label....stereotypes suck.

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2005 16:12      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True,

Stereotypes SUK

Don't know your rag "People" but will basically guess it is on a par with "Hello", etc. here in UK.. (which is pants "celebrity gossip" junker rags...)

Hope your friend enjoyed it... but I would personally treat any such offer with extreme suspicion and deep distrust that edit wouldn't make we into a big dork for public hilarity (then again BIG $$$/£££ to help me out of my financial holes might be able to sway my higher principles.. but I won't do pr0n (oh go on then add another 5000 and you're on). Media whore? Moi?)

[evil] [Wink]

--------------------

neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2005 16:14      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dern right they do... But, as MMK already mentioned, I was basing my comment off of the original link posted in this thread. I have no real way to make a judgment call on people I don't know, but, in a show with that sort of description being hosted by Kutcher... Well, you can imagine what sort of picture that paints for someone who is and always will be a "Geek" to society.... And damned proud of it.

--------------------

Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2005 21:45      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow.

The other day I heard someone refer to me and my girlfriend as the same thing. I didn't really think about this post until I logged on now, and it makes me think of how much it offended ME to read this after I had seen the analogy compared to my girlfriend and myself.

I could understand the geek part, but she's just as smart as me, if not smarter (that isn't truly hard to be) and more beautiful than the whole lot that will be on that show, I bet.

I don't mind the whole "Beauty and the Geek" thing because I am in similar, have been on and off for 2 years, and I have to say, it works. If by dim they mean flighty, then perhaps she is that, but I wouldn't even go that far. She's just very intense.

Oh well, TV is TV. I didn't like fear factor because it made roaches look like they were BAD or something. I mean, come on.

/me squashes roach that walks across keyboard

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 09, 2005 03:47      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Roach was awsome.. What ever happened to him?... Oh, wait, not the roach you were talking about [Razz]

--------------------

Aoi Suiren
Newbie Larva
Member # 7219

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2007 17:56      Profile for Aoi Suiren   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not meaning to stereotype or anything, but often times many stereotypes will arise from a few real examples.

Pretty girls for instance. So many famous women right now, who are considered pretty- many are under a healthy weight. That comes from a decision either not to eat, purge, puke up food, ect ect. It is only in rare cases due to certain medical conditions that something like just happens.

So why? Because they are working hard for this superficial beauty.

Too many girls who are considered "hot" put their looks as a top priority. They do not bother trying to learn as much as others because they feel they can get by with out it.

I am not saying all girls who are pretty are like this.. just the fact that there are any, is too many.

I think in general there will always be extremes. People who want to be smart above all else, or beautiful, or even other ideas and desires, cooking, designing, photography.
There needs to be a balance in life. Confidence, intellegence, talent. These can be linked to a little of all these: looking good, learning, doing.

People who are way hot, and people who are way smart often will sacrifice working on another part of themselves to better what they are very good at. I do it myself even, but I know when I am going too far.

This shallow culture of ours is over sexed and just sad.... we need to be happy about who and what we are- and feel good about ourselves. Yet we cannot just isolate ourselves from the world, like never socializing, or never trying to learn anything (which you need to have a decent conversation)

I watched beauty and the geek this latest season. I do theatre so I can pretty well pick apart what it real and what is cut off- so you will get a different impression. I can see some shallowness in everyone on that show at one point- it is human nature. I can also see everyone being smart, too. They have adapted and changed.
And I have nothing else to say, lol.
[Smile]

Posts: 8 | From: L.A. California | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2007 20:35      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<pedantic>

Not intelligence, wisdom. Intelligence is more of an innate trait; I view it as the derivative of knowledge.

Also, I don't care much about necroposting (it renews discussion on something interesting enough for someone to respond to), but some probably don't like it.

</pedantic>

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2007 10:27      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quite a shocker to my present day self to see my past self... as recent as that was... Yikes.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
@[email protected]
Newbie Larva
Member # 7270

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2007 16:42      Profile for @m@nduh6         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there are so many idiots in this country... [Smile]

--------------------
heck yes

luck4mike
Newbie Larva
Member # 7426

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2007 12:37      Profile for luck4mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont really have a problem... just shows people find us interesting...
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 06, 2007 22:17      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aoi Suiren:

There needs to be a balance in life. Confidence, intellegence, talent. These can be linked to a little of all these: looking good, learning, doing.

People who are way hot, and people who are way smart often will sacrifice working on another part of themselves to better what they are very good at.

I haven't seen it, but I love geeky guys, so I should watch. [Smile]

I think you made some good points, Aoi Suiren (welcome, btw) Balance would probably make more people happier, but maybe laziness (or lack of understanding) make us take the easy route. I get a lot of benefits from the way I look, and to be honest, I like that because it makes my life easier. But I'm not an ass about it and I don't think I'm better than someone else, just because people like the way I look. On the other hand, I do know I rely on that (to a somewhat large degree) and don't make the effort I could to expand other aspects of my personality or life. Overall I'd probably be happier if I did make the effort, because that success might balance out the other areas where I am significantly less happy.

Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 06:03      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by boo:
I get a lot of benefits from the way I look, and to be honest, I like that because it makes my life easier.

Please do tell! [Wink]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 07:15      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes - that post is worthless without pics [Wink]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 11:47      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here she is:

-

Kinda feathery for my taste [Wink]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture