homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Beauty and the Geek (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Beauty and the Geek
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2005 13:35      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I the only one who finds this offensive?

Beauty and the Geek - coming to an American TV near you!

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2005 13:39      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm de-sensitised to stupidity of that level nowadays. It doesn't bother me.

I say just don't watch it, maybe this reality tv CRAP will go by the wayside.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2005 13:49      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing I find offensive about it is that I'm not one of the sad geeks getting paired up with some leggy, buxom air-head. I'd settle for an audition for Cootie and the Geek. [Smile]
Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2005 14:11      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a computerized version of that Average Joe(?) show last year. Fscking lame. Typical though. It is offensive, like all these reality [Roll Eyes] shows.

Boycott! To arms!

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2005 14:22      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, I vaguely recall an announcement about a casting call for this show on here, or was that another geek-feature show? In any case, Ashton Kutcher seems like too much of an airhead to make any thoughtful matches. Are the producers really trying to form viable partnerships or are they just playing for laughs?

Rant for today: Why do the "beauties" have to be "bimbos"? Can't they have smart but "average-looking" girls? And do the geeks have to look like rejects from "Revenge of the Nerds"?

I hate this d**n superficial society! [Mad]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2005 14:23      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
Boycott! To arms!

Not a problem for me! I don't watch t.v.!
[crazy]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2005 14:49      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i only watch a select few reality shows where i can laugh at the stupid contestants i.e. My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss, otherwise i just stick to 24, Lost, and the Arrested Development

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2005 16:47      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not only insulting and demeaning, but, quite extremely disgusting.... According to that site, the actual *POINT* of the show is to match smart guys with empty headed women... *shaking his head*

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted January 24, 2005 16:56      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm, kind of weird, but not as offensive as that Who's your daddy? show. Ok, I never saw it, but to me, the idea of making a game show out of someone's long-lost father seems pretty sick.

My $0.02

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2005 21:04      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MTB Babe:
Not a problem for me! I don't watch t.v.!
[crazy]

That works best. We do tape Red Green on Saturday nights and watch the occasional sports broadcast or Discovery channel item. Oh yeah, we let the boys watch SpongeBob, he rocks pretty seriously. But Ashton Krutcher and his ilk----- Y U K! [thumbsdown]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2005 21:16      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Red Green rocks!!! My family LOVES that show!!! [Smile]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2005 21:17      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arrested Development is pretty good, too. But, overall, TV at present is a load of old codswallop.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2005 07:14      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Rant for today: Why do the "beauties" have to be "bimbos"? Can't they have smart but "average-looking" girls? And do the geeks have to look like rejects from "Revenge of the Nerds"?

I hate this d**n superficial society! [Mad]

So I'm gonna say: why isn't there some show for matching brainy "average-looking" girls with wow-looking guys? Always, the girls must be good-looking to be on TV, while there's no such requirements for guys.

Now, you can introduce me to a good-looking AND brainy guy anytime! [Big Grin] (Just brainy would be fine too, but just good-looking... well... I'd have a lot of fun - shooting him down in flames! How I miss my favorite sport of ridiculising a guy who thinks himself hot! [evil] )

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2005 07:52      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Red-Green is pretty funny. But I still pretty much restrict my viewing to "Norm" shows - i.e. This Old House (and it's spin-offs), New Yankee Workshop, and now lately the David Mark's show - WoodWorks. I have tried (repeatedly) to watch The Router Workshop which is taped near Winnipeg - but it's best watched with the finger on the FF button.

As for the Beauty and the Geek - won't watch it - won't care. No more offensive to me than "Barney and Friends" that my kids watched when they were much younger.

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted January 25, 2005 17:12      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stopped watching TV a long time ago... and I mean a long time ago.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2005 17:58      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only TV I watch now is "The Simpsons" and an occasional episode of "Arrested Development". Of course, my DVD collection and my Playstation games don't count as TV. [Wink]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2005 00:04      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
The only TV I watch now is "The Simpsons" and an occasional episode of "Arrested Development".

Your TV watching habits are about to change.

Teletubbies, The Wiggles, Sesame Street ........

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2005 03:41      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
The only TV I watch now is "The Simpsons" and an occasional episode of "Arrested Development".

Dude - according to my nephew, the Teletubbies are so 2002. The Tweenies are apparently 'da bomb' amongst the dribbling classes.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
SassyGeek
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3218

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2005 05:32      Profile for SassyGeek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
So I'm gonna say: why isn't there some show for matching brainy "average-looking" girls with wow-looking guys? Always, the girls must be good-looking to be on TV, while there's no such requirements for guys.

I was going to say the same thing. I'd like to think that most guys aren't that superficial, but maybe the pretty ones are. i've never much liked pretty/traditionally handsome guys, though. geeks! the only way to go!

i did watch the first average joe and surprise, surprise, the beauty went with the hot guy instead of the geekie guy. idiot.

Posts: 30 | From: right behind you! | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2005 08:14      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a religious guy, but I find myself watching a lot of Veggie-tales lately due to my gf's son being obsessed with it. And I think it's bloody hilarious.

"You remind me of Cap'n Crunch."
"What? I DO NOT!"
"You're making me hungry."

BAHAH.

And Spongebob is funny too.

Oh my God what am I turning into? [Eek!]

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2005 08:18      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Oh my God what am I turning into? [Eek!]

your all gay.
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2005 12:26      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SassyGeek:
I'd like to think that most guys aren't that superficial, but maybe the pretty ones are.

Hahaha... No. Most guys are more superficial than that, actually. Sorry to burst the bubble (o.o), but, alot of them are just good at pretending, or just enjoy using whatever they can get...

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2005 12:40      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If by "superficial" you mean unwilling to date anyone I'm not physically attracted to, you can chalk me up as superficial too, then, cus I won't do that (again).
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2005 12:49      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's not what I'd deam superficial. A relationship simply won't work if you're not attracted to the woman, that's a simple fact of life... The point is, the mojority of males hold that as the *only* thing that matters, and, have standards that are just absurd, and quite disgusting to me...

--------------------

Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 26, 2005 13:56      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:

Did I miss something?

And VeggieTales rocks. I love the Christmas Pierogi Song.

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture