homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » new sub-$500 Macs this January (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: new sub-$500 Macs this January
Darren Duncan
Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1694

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2004 00:44      Profile for Darren Duncan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a rather strong rumor been posted today on http://thinksecret.com/ (a web site which has proven itself to be fairly reliable over time) that Apple will announce its most inexpensive Mac ever, in the sub-$500 category.

If this is true, then they have finally addressed the greatest modern-day hurdle against Macs growing out of their niche status. That is, lots of people think Macs are peachy keen and quite desirable to own, but choose to get a Windows machine anyway due to their seeing the Mac option as being too expensive to afford (long term costs of ownership being ignored).

The article: http://thinksecret.com/news/0412expo2.html

An excerpt:

quote:

EXCLUSIVE: Apple to drop sub-$500 Mac bomb at Expo

December 28, 2004 - With iPod-savvy Windows users clearly in its sights, Apple is expected to announce a bare bones, G4-based iMac without a display at Macworld Expo on January 11 that will retail for $499, highly reliable sources have confirmed to Think Secret.

The new Mac, code-named Q88, will be part of the iMac family and is expected to sport a PowerPC G4 processor at a speed around 1.25GHz. The new Mac is said to be incredibly small and will be housed in a flat enclosure with a height similar to the 1.73 inches of Apple's Xserve. Its size benefits will include the ability to stand the Mac on its side or put it below a display or monitor.

Along with lowering costs by forgoing a display (Apple's entry-level eMac sells for $799 with a built-in 17-inch CRT display), the so-called "headless" iMac will allow Apple's target audience -- Windows users looking for a cheap, second PC -- to keep their current peripherals or decide on their own what to pair with the system, be it a high-priced LCD display or an inexpensive display. Sources expect the device to feature both DVI and VGA connectivity, although whether this will be provided through dual ports or through a single DVI port with a VGA adapter remains to be seen.

The other three-quarters of the article is on the web site.
Posts: 27 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2004 07:22      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem I see with inexpensive computers is quality. Walmart this Christmas had complete HP computers, with monitor and printer, for around $469. While I'm sure a lot of people think this is a great deal, the computer itself is built using the cheapest made parts available. It certainly isn't going to give them any sort of quality, and the kids are gonna be pissed when they find out its not fast enough to play Doom 3.

The concept of inexpensive computers is great IF there is quality to back it up. I personally would rather just go to Newegg and build my own.

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2004 10:04      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Widow:
...... I personally would rather just go to Newegg and build my own.

You can't build your own Mac though.

I think this would be a hit if it does get released. I know of many people that want to get a Mac but don't want to purchase an all in one and do not want to pay $1499 or higher to get a tower. With this they will be able to use their existing monitor and many of the peripherals they already own. I have a friend on a tight budget that really wants to switch to a Mac but a $799 eMac is out of her price range. This would be an ideal solution for her.

And this won't be the G4 Cube all over again now that the price will be realistic for the general consumer.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2004 10:16      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
quote:
Originally posted by Black Widow:
...... I personally would rather just go to Newegg and build my own.

You can't build your own Mac though.
True. And if this lower priced Mac has quality parts, then all is good. If all one needs is a computer to get online and do a little word processing with, I'm sure it will be just fine.
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 30, 2004 11:23      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't wait to see this one. It would sure make an 'affordable' way to add a station or two in the office. Besides, I'm still running OS 9.2.2 on this Y2K model iMac 'cause it would be impractical to add the hardware upgrades just to run X. But if this new bit comes with Jaguar loaded... Wow! I think they'll sell a bunch.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2004 13:05      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gave my mom my old 1999 333Mhz iMac with 256Megs of RAM, and it runs OS X just fine. [Wink]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2004 20:09      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds cool... if only this was a G5. [ohwell]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted December 31, 2004 10:15      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My own powerbook died a couple of months ago.
If this story is true..I'll be able to afford a new computer!!
*sigh* [Happytears]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2004 12:17      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Sounds cool... if only this was a G5. [ohwell]

I'm still praying for the PowerBook G5. But thats going to have a price tag the size of a new car. [Frown]

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Groggle
Mini Geek
Member # 2360

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 09:10      Profile for Groggle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guess is that while it might break the Mac out of its "Niche" position in the market, it could also kill it.

If they want to compete with el-cheapo PC hardware, Apple's going to find out very quickly that they can't compete with manufacturing in China/Taiwan/Korea etc. on pure cost.

(and your average person buying a < $1000 machine simply doesn't know or care about the differences)

Posts: 77 | From: Calgary | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 10:15      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Groggle,

I know the difference. It simply comes down to what I do. Some photos, building small web apps, e-mail, and surfing. So I don't need the dual G5. I would like one, just can't justify the cost.

And if Apple can keep their quality standards up I will put that system on the top of my "buy" list.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 11:58      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see quality as a problem for the (rumoured) new macs.

We're basically talking about the eMac without the 17" CRT, and at a price that's about a 17" CRT less than the eMac. So the build quality need not be any worse than their cutrent low-end machine, but people who already have a CRT will find the 'switch' that much cheaper.

As for competing with China et al on cost, the macs will have one huge cost advantage over the wintel boxes, they don't have to pay the Microsoft tax. At the moment, about 1/4 of the cost of a low-end PC is Windoze, Apple don't have to pay over $100 to someone else for OS X.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 12:13      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What we are seeing here is nothing new for Apple. It wasn't that long ago (pre iMac) that entry level Macs were not of the 'all-in-one' design.

The PPC line had a wide varity of modular configurations available up until the PM5200 series. As far as all-in-one design (for anything, not just computers) it is cheaper to manufacture but the consumer has the door shut on upgradability and when one major component fails the entire system is usually not economical to repair. Plus, like many folks I have hardware/peripheral preferences.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
N9IWP
Geek
Member # 1229

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 12:21      Profile for N9IWP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am dubious, but then I was dubious about usoft buying Bungie. If true, one market will be "adders" - computer literate folks who want a box to play around with. At that price, some people may run it as a dedicated e-mail machine.

Me, I want speed bump powermacs with a non-lame base video card.

Apple has dropped display prices and speed bumped xserves (and introduced xSAN). If they do speed bump Powermacs, I'd guess it will NOT be at the show.

Brian

Posts: 181 | From: Southeast MN | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 18:03      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by N9IWP:
... one market will be "adders" - computer literate folks who want a box to play around with.

Goes to show the difference in where and when you went to school. Me, I thought 'adders' were snakes. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 18:09      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm stuck on the "speed bump" concept! [Razz]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 18:51      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by N9IWP:
... one market will be "adders" - computer literate folks who want a box to play around with.

If I had my very own box to play with I'd never leave the house [Big Grin]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 19:29      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Typical male self-control. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 19:36      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who's the hot-looking guy pictured in your profile, Cap'n? If I had him, well, I'll let that up to your imagination. [Wink]

--------------------

JustRob
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3147

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 19:52      Profile for JustRob   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya gotta factor in the people in my situation. I'm already a mac fan, though at the moment my most recent mac is a Performa 6116CD, not exactly OSX compliant. My main machine is this emachines XP box that I picked up for my aunt, that I'm only using cause my laptop has decided she hates me.

Anyway, a $500 mac would be the perfect excuse to update my mac hardware, get back into the OSX game, and still not have to ignore eating for a month or two.

Basically, "we" would be the mac fans who are just too broke to afford their preferred platform.

Posts: 12 | From: North Miami Beach, FL | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 19:56      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second JustRob's argument. I'd use a Mac instead of a PC but I can't afford one right now. [Frown]

--------------------

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 21:44      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Who's the hot-looking guy pictured in your profile, Cap'n? If I had him, well, I'll let that up to your imagination. [Wink]

That would be Mr Mojo Risin

[Wink] at GMx

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 21:59      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what did you and GMx do to create Monsieur? Take advantage of every woman's fantasy of dangerous Australian masculinity?

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 22:05      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So what did you and GMx do to create Monsieur? Take advantage of every woman's fantasy of dangerous Australian masculinity?

I'm just trying to work out where this idea came from. I was watching the Bill on Saturday night, and the Australian CID guy was like that, too.

That is, I know people who aren't like that, my own dangerous Australian masculinity notwithstanding.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2005 22:13      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Naw. The pic is Jim Morrison from the Doors. When I was a young whipersnapper I thought he was cool.....I tried to live the life he did. Only the band I was in actually sucked and sadly I didn't end up dead in a Paris hotel bathtub [ohwell]

Read this book, then take a bunch of acid and you'll see where I'm coming from

-

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture