homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » ESR on Geek Culture

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ESR on Geek Culture
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2004 09:20            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ESR's latest blog entry discusses the emergence of geek culture, and why, one day, Revenge of the Nerds will seem like a rather quaint period piece. GeekCulture.com is mentioned favorably:
quote:
Just the fact that a website can advertise "The World’s Coolest Propeller Beanies!" is indication of how far we’ve come.
Read the whole thing, as Glenn Reynolds might say.
IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2004 13:05      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love it! Go Geeks!

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2004 13:07      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brutal formatting on that page.....I can't even read the top half [shake head]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2004 13:27      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I the only one who read the topic and thought "Electron Spin Resonance"?
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2004 01:21      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is quite sad how, even though we devote ourselves to creating other subcultures to preserve identity and uniqueness, the event of others entering those subcultures eventually renders them mainstream. You can't break away from the system!

quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:

Hah, no [Big Grin] . But I also thought of "Enclosed String Resonance", which is just weird since that's not even a recognizable abbreviation.
Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2004 08:42      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Sorry man, but I recognized it as "Eric S. Raymond" as soon as I saw it - it's just one of those well known set of geek initials. RMS prefers to go by his initials than his name, in many cases, and ESR is a bit of a copycat. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2004 08:47      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:

Sorry man, but I recognized it as "Eric S. Raymond" as soon as I saw it - it's just one of those well known set of geek initials. RMS prefers to go by his initials than his name, in many cases, and ESR is a bit of a copycat. [Wink]
That's what I thought too...
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2004 09:42            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:

ESR's just upgraded his blog engine...that might have something to do with it.
IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2004 10:19      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erbo:
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:

ESR's just upgraded his blog engine...that might have something to do with it.
I sat for about 20 seconds with, "waiting for data from esr.ibiblio.org" then gave up and closed the tab.
Twinkle Toes
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 22, 2004 10:43      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just for the record, it loaded just fine for me.
Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2004 06:30      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea it seems to be behaving again. Unfortunately, I no longer have the desire to read it. [Smile]
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2004 06:44      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
RMS prefers to go by his initials than his name

I would, too, if I had a set of initials people associate with POWER! Mua-ha-ha! [evil]
Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2004 20:16      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, yet another self-indulgent spew from the maw of ESR. I've never met someone more fixated on making themselves part of a "scene." Oy.
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2004 20:53      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:
Wow, yet another self-indulgent spew from the maw of ESR. I've never met someone more fixated on making themselves part of a "scene." Oy.

Yeah, which is why I didn't even really bother to read it - just saw that the page worked, and called it quits. ESR does some good, but his ego is on par with RMS', and the two of them compete, so it's an equally bad mess. This folks, is why people like Linus - he's just an awesome guy, who humbly created a great kernel. I'll use an RMS-ism next: The GNU/Linux OS [distributions] definitely work as well as they do because of the GNU tools (compilers, shell, sysutils, etc.), but it wouldn't be what it is without the Linux kernel. Linus isn't gloating about what a wonderful thing he did - he's a good, self-deprecating hacker. RMS, OTOH, whines about GNU not getting enough credit, for it's role in "GNU/Linux." Need I remind anyone about the success GNU has had in writing it's own full OS, replete with kernel?

It's time for me to think about renewing my FSF membership - and that's a kind of hard decision with RMS being the way he is...but I still know that FSF does good things, and should keep up the good work. I just wish he'd ditch the attitude, and stop being 'holier than thou.'

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2004 21:53      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twinkle Toes: It is quite sad how, even though we devote ourselves to creating other subcultures to preserve identity and uniqueness, the event of others entering those subcultures eventually renders them mainstream. ...
Nothing is any good if other people like it
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2004 21:55      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QB]ESR does some good, but his ego is on par with RMS', and the two of them compete, so it's an equally bad mess.

I just spent a bit of time wandering around his blog, and aside from the obvious ego thing, there was something else I found disturbing.

If you have a look at this link he seems fascinated with finding differences between 'whites', 'blacks', and 'jews', always carefully throwing in a few paragraphs of "not that there's anything wrong with that". Maybe he just likes to talk about intelligence to remind himself and us how clever he is, but something in his tone reminds me of a few conversations I've had that began with "I'm not racist, but..."

Of course, he also claims that scots are one standard-deviation above the IQ curve, so he can't be all bad [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2004 22:02      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD: In the interest of brevity, I chose to refrain from pointing out that he's also a "2nd amendment touting gun nut."

Edit: Okay, I just skimmed that blog, and *wow*. I'm not really certain of the facts, though some of the comments that follow indicate he may not be incorrect, but particularly coming from him, that certainly does not look good.

/me is a very happy vi[m] user...good night.

:wq

(P.S. The above does actually have relevance, for those in the open source know, anyway.)

--------------------

Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2004 22:03      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Maybe he just likes to talk about intelligence to remind himself and us how clever he is, but something in his tone reminds me of a few conversations I've had that began with "I'm not racist, but..."

I totally know what you mean TFD. The word "but" completely negates anything said before it, and whomever you are speaking to forgets the positive part of the message. I personally try very hard to not use that word, or however, or any other negative when I really want to get my point across.
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 24, 2004 00:07      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I just skimmed that blog, and *wow*. I'm not really certain of the facts

Neither is anyone else.
(well, the ones who are certain, are wrong)

The whole issue of measuring 'intelligence' is ++dodgy, and prone to cultural bias (as a friend is fond of saying, an IQ test devised by dogs would measure the ability to catch a frisbee in ones mouth). Suffice to say that the difference of 1 standard deviation he quotes is at the extreme end of the figures I've heard quoted, and it's interesting that he accepts them so uncritically.

Having been to Africa, and Scotland, I think I'd have noticed a difference of 2 standard deviations in IQ between the 2 populations. I didn't.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 24, 2004 18:45      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some fun IQ statistics I found, just to show how silly the whole thing is....

Americans are smarter than Canadians (but aussies and kiwis are smarter than the lot of you)

blondes have above average intelligence

Geminis are smarter than Leos

Married people are smarter than singles (but their IQ drops when they have kids)

tall people are smarter than shorties

Four eyes are smarter than two

And Democrat voters are smarter than Republicans

--------------------

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2004 11:42      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find nothing silly about the last one. It's true! [Big Grin]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2004 14:05      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Americans are smarter than Canadians (but aussies and kiwis are smarter than the lot of you)
I'm dumb.

quote:
blondes have above average intelligence
I'm smart.

quote:
Married people are smarter than singles (but their IQ drops when they have kids)
I'm dumb.

quote:
tall people are smarter than shorties
I'm smart.

quote:
Four eyes are smarter than two
I'm dumb.

quote:
Democrat voters are smarter than Republicans
I'm smart.

Well which is it?

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture