homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Hear me rant!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hear me rant!
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2004 11:40      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, browsing deviantart when I happened to see something which annoyed me.

Someone had done a piece of anti-war art, and underneath had written a rant about the situation in the middle east and how they were annoyed at the Israeli and American actions towards the Palestinians. This, in itself is no problem to me, they were merely stating their opinion.

Studiously avoiding taking sides here (for that is not what this rant is about), what did annoy me is that whilst condemning GB and the Israelis for killing all these Palestinians this artist stated many times how much they hated George Bush and the Israelis for doing these things.

Typing it now, it doesn't seem like much, but it just peeved me how they used the word hate so many times... I mean, in my opinion violence stems from hatred; you don't beat up someone you love.

It just all seemed a little hypocritical to me... What do you think?

--------------------
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent."
--Isaac Asimov

Posts: 490 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2004 22:34      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sconzey, there's a lot of Bush-hatred and Israeli-hatred in the world. I agree with you, it's not rational.

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted December 03, 2004 00:40      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, right man - kill the fascist nazi scum and grind their bones for fertilizer...

</irony>

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2004 01:59      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was bread we ground bones to make? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Groggle
Mini Geek
Member # 2360

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2004 06:59      Profile for Groggle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Put the protester's rant into perspective.

Seen from an external viewpoint, Israeli/US actions in the Middle East are every bit as egregious as those of the Palestinians.

What has to frustrate the Arab states to no end is that when _their_people_ act out, the UN condemns them.

When the Israelis or the US do something, the US exercises its security council veto and the whole issue dies.

It's awful easy to take that as duplicity on the part of the various world bodies.

Add to that, a President in GWB that has done little to make himself a sympathetic figure on the world stage (six-shooter diplomacy?), and you have a situation which is guaranteed to be deeply polarizing.

Is it "rational" - no, but human affairs seldom are.

Posts: 77 | From: Calgary | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2004 08:15      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alephcat:
I thought it was bread we ground bones to make? [Big Grin]

Yeah but bone leam makes better feritilizer than it does flour.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2004 09:19      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems that the process of hate in all of its forms have helped create our current situation.

I understand the view from both sides. Unfortunately it does nothing to see the situation. Even in certain lights the current administration's 6 gun politics has some merit. Note I said some not all.

Hate breeds hate, simple enough. No matter how justified it appears.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2464 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 06, 2004 00:53      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen to that Shroom

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2004 04:46      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My problem was not with their view, but how they expressed it and their reasons for having it.

--------------------
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent."
--Isaac Asimov

Posts: 490 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture