homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Ha Ha Ha, I'm getting married!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ha Ha Ha, I'm getting married!!!
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted November 17, 2004 14:20      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jackie and I have been together for about seven years now...

We have Danielle (4 years on Friday) and of course baby Ruth (12 weeks on Saturday)

We've had three houses (big three bedroom rented - Victorian 2 bed terrace - reasonably sized 3 bed 50s ex-council) and been planning to get hitched for at least 4-5 years (but stuff keeps happening - job changes, house moves, babies, family stuff, etc.)

We've been through some rough times and we've had our share of problems (but we've had fun and irreplaceable joys too).

Finally we bit the bullet and said "if we don't do it now, it'll be a case of 'this year, next year, sometime, never' and who knows if it'll ever get done".

So, we went to see the Registrar (don't know what the colonial equivalent is, if different) and coughed up our GBP60 to secure a wedding time and date...

July 30th 2005 (and another GBP34) and we'll be legally "man and wife"

Now I've just got to find GBP500 for the Reception, plus gifts for the bridesmaids, money for flowers, wedding cars, photographers, rings, wedding dress, etc., etc., Arrrrgggggghhh (only joking!!!!)

With everything else going on it hardly seems real to me (but then neither does Christmas every year, until it actually hits...)

Ha Ha Ha,

No doubt I'll get "the fear" sometime around April....

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
klynn
Mini Geek
Member # 3019

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 17, 2004 14:27      Profile for klynn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations!

Far be it from me to say, "It's about time." So, I won't. [Wink]

We all like to put the cart before the horse at times. Teehee [evil]

--------------------
Caution: Comments may or may not reflect the actual opinions of the author.

Posts: 62 | From: USA - Saint Albans | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 14:31      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am stalking you. [Wink]

Congrats, and.... its about time. [Razz]

I take there is no such thing as a common law marriage out there, eh?

Oh, look out your window.. [evil]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 15:05      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats sir. I wish you the best.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 15:07      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats Serenak, thats fantastic news! [thumbsup]
Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 15:21      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations! I imagine that things won't be much different for you after you're legally man and wife, but I've enjoyed marriage so far, and I'm sure you will too. [Big Grin] [thumbsup]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted November 17, 2004 17:08      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shroom!

We must stop meeting like this...

If we keep this up Spungo will catch on - and then what???

/creepy twighlight zone music/

PS. You don't share boots with you Mother do you....

[Smile]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 17, 2004 17:17      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seriously though

Thanks all, I'm sure we'll be just as happy as we are now... [Smile]

Yeah we are already "common law", but that actually isn't worth diddly IRL...

We're not religious and we don't need to prove our commitment but somehow it now seems really important to us that we do that "legal/social" thing. Never wanted to be married before, then again I never wanted children till I hit 35....

[Smile]

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 17:31      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:

Yeah we are already "common law", but that actually isn't worth diddly IRL...

I don't know about England, but here in Canada, commonlaw carries all of the implications marriage does. Here, you're common law once you've lived together for more than 6 months, or once you've had a child together (or adopted one). Same goes for same-sex couples.

Although with insurance companies, you have to live together for 3 years or have a child because they're scumsucking bags of horseshit and will do whatever they can to screw you as hard as possible.

I'm not bitter.. really.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted November 17, 2004 17:50      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In UK common law implies similar rights to "legally married" however sharp lawyers have ways and means of turning that on its head (scumsucking *@??*[email protected]*)

For peace of mind,legal security and just cos we want to marriage seems best

--------------------

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2004 06:07      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
Shroom!

We must stop meeting like this...

If we keep this up Spungo will catch on - and then what???

/creepy twighlight zone music/

PS. You don't share boots with you Mother do you....

[Smile]

I say bring them sheep on and no my mom won't share her boots with me anymore.
[blush]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2004 06:10      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats S! Don't worry, it need not cost a fortune if you get other people involved. In any case I am sure you will have a great day!

I too am not religious but the main point of a marriage to me was not the legal one, but to make a public commitment in front of all those we held dear, our families and friends, that this is my dearest friend and that we will love and care for each other to the grave. It seems then, that you are linking to each others families and the community, as well as to each other. To me this public element was important, so I was wanted the ceremony to be one that our respective families would also feel comfortable with.

I do not really understand those who want to do it in a hurried furtive fashion, or with some nutty ceremony that alienates their relatives, unless they are already estranged from their families.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2004 06:43      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My advise would be Run, run like the wind

J/K Married life is great ..... except for the inlaws part, We live 3 hours from the inlaws so that makes it a little better. We are thinking about moving even further after I finish my degree. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 18, 2004 11:43      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have any in-laws,

Jackie is estranged from her family (yes I have met them and tried to get on with them but they are not nice people). As she wants nothing to do with her poison dwarf of a mother I am spared the in-laws thing.

Jackie and my parents get on like a house on fire... (why should that be an expression of compatability?) So all's well there...

Yes, I think the public affirmation thing is probably a big part of it too.

--------------------

macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 18, 2004 12:18      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Congrats man!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [evil]

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2004 03:36      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, just another "me too" congratulations. So, congratulations [thumbsup]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2004 08:34      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Felicitations as they say in my neck of the woods.

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 199

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 19, 2004 10:35      Profile for Erbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations to you both, Serenak. As a wise man once said, "May you live as long as you wish, and love as long as you live."

--------------------
See more From The Erbo Files: www.erbosoft.com/blog/

Posts: 1480 | From: Denver, CO, US | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
R0x0r_G0dd3ss
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3041

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2004 09:22      Profile for R0x0r_G0dd3ss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Clap, clap* Congrats.

--------------------
Ph33r my l337 n3kk1d skillz!!!

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture