homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Powell's resignation (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Powell's resignation
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2004 23:55      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
So ... with regards to the whole dodging-to-Canada thing. That pretty much means you can never legally return, right (unless a President issues a pardon, as happened after Vietnam ... was it Carter that did that?)?

I think we have an agreement with Canada now that we didn't have then that would make dodging to Canada impossible. But you could always try going to Mexico.
Haven't you heard?
US law applies everywhere now (except Guantanamo).

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 00:00      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Haven't you heard?

...and Fallujah mosques

-

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 00:44      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Haven't you heard?

...and Fallujah mosques

-

That was just an isolated incident and the vast majority of ordinary soldiers deplore such behaviour.

The US is in Iraq to bring freedom and respect for human rights

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 00:56      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would I be a bad man if I said that pic badly needs a "P3wned!!!" overlay?

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 01:06      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Would I be a bad man if I said that pic badly needs a "P3wned!!!" overlay?

yes.

--------------------

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 08:53      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the Iraqi, or the US soldier?

Ya know. It makes me wonder how much of this kind of stuff is actually happening on the ground over there....obviously more than this incident and the prision fiasco.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Groggle
Mini Geek
Member # 2360

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted November 17, 2004 10:37      Profile for Groggle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I see that Bush has appointed Rice to replace Powell.

Given that Bush has "nothing to lose" come next election, I'm expecting the next four years to make his first term look "moderate".

He doesn't have to worry about getting re-elected, and right now he appears to have both Congress and the Senate cowed.

Putting Rice into a position like Secretary of State is likely a mere sample of what's to come. Wait until he starts appointing judges to the Supreme Court...

(BTW - in case you didn't notice - I don't consider Rice to be moderate, compassionate or anything else - just small, mean and nasty.)

Posts: 77 | From: Calgary | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 10:58      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We all should be very scared. Look at this woman. This is just moments after her appointment.

-

I think Bush has broken through the right, extreme right and is headed into uncharted territory.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 12:08      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
We all should be very scared. Look at this woman. This is just moments after her appointment.

-

<fark>
I'd hit it !
</fark>

--------------------

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 12:27      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She hits back.....hard.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 12:42      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yo no hablo espan~ol. Ich spreche Deutsche. Je parle un peu francais. Mexico is out. France and Germany might be OK though.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 12:44      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Groggle:

Given that Bush has "nothing to lose" come next election, I'm expecting the next four years to make his first term look "moderate".

He doesn't have to worry about getting re-elected, and right now he appears to have both Congress and the Senate cowed.

Putting Rice into a position like Secretary of State is likely a mere sample of what's to come. Wait until he starts appointing judges to the Supreme Court...

(BTW - in case you didn't notice - I don't consider Rice to be moderate, compassionate or anything else - just small, mean and nasty.)

Whether or not *HE* can be re-elected is obviously already known. However, I think he'll still care if the republicans keep power. Probably not as much as if he could still run, but you get the point.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 12:55      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:

Whether or not *HE* can be re-elected is obviously already known.
You're both assuming the current constitution remains in place.

Given that the Republicans are already discussing changing the constitution to allow Arnie to run for prez, this seems a rather naive assumption.

I can see it now
"We can't change horses mid-stream, the War On Terror is too important, so we're going to remove the 2 term limit"

If my understanding of the US system is correct, the people wouldn't get a vote on this, just the state governments.

--------------------

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 12:57      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He could always amend the constitution so he could run again.

Or, start up a big 'ol war around August 2008 so the election gets 'delayed'

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2004 13:09      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
He could always amend the constitution so he could run again.

Or, start up a big 'ol war around August 2008 so the election gets 'delayed'

Or declare a state of emergency based on faked intelligence, so all democratic rights are suspended - until he is ready to retire. Or until the US is no more than an exsangue contry on the brink of bankrupcy and civil war, with less than 1% of the population having over 99% of the wealth. Kinda like developing countries right now, or ex-sovietic republics, rampant corruption included.

Oh, and according to this graphic novel, Cuba will be the next world's economic greatest power. [Razz]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Groggle
Mini Geek
Member # 2360

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2004 05:52      Profile for Groggle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if US law would allow 'a state of emergency' extension of Bush's tenure to happen. (Or any such 'emergency' law passed would no doubt be subject to immediate challenge in the courts, I would expect)

No - I'd speculate more cynically, and suggest that Bush's younger brother 'Jeb' is likely to step to the foreground as the next contender for the presidency.

They'll probably put an arbitrary 'nobody' forth to follow Bush (unless there's a really strong contender emerging?). Essentially "toss" the election to the Democrats - whoever's next in power will have a very tough time changing anything GWB & Associates have done - especially if the House of Representatives and Senate remain under GOP control.

(Not to mention the fact that they are likely to be hamstrung by a massive debt/deficit situation by then)

Posts: 77 | From: Calgary | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2004 14:11      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm not sure if US law would allow 'a state of emergency' extension of Bush's tenure to happen.

There was a story in the press some months ago, about the official planning for just that.

If there was a "terrorist emergency" <cynic>(i.e if the shrub was far behind in the polls)</cynic> then plans were in place to 'delay' the election.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture